Gabe: SB brings "console experience" to PCs

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Mize, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Oh dear lord.

Does this mean Valve sees Intel's IGP as the target for future PC games? Ugh.
    Don't we have enough console ports already?

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I suppose this means that Portal 2 is designed for the raw power of something like a Radeon 5450. I guess that's not surprising.

3. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

I surely hope hes not referring to the experience you get with the PS3s "Orange Box".

4. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

I get his point - integral GPU means kmart PCs can play games. Still...

5. Davros

Legend

why is he putting Sandy Bridge down

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Aren't there something like 800 000 different variations of Sandy Bridge? Or maybe its closer to 1 million.

7. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

lolwut Why did he... I don't even..

8. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

The more I think about this...

The more I think Gabe is talking about writing games/engines for a single PC platform (OS/cpu/gpu) to give a uniform experience to all users. I.e. Valve says "no" to DX11?

9. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yeah dont really know how to take this myself. Something is iffy.

10. Scott_Arm

Legend

I just don't see what it would mean. SB has a ton of variants, and I'm sure six months from now there will be twofold the number of variants. How exactly does this allow them to target anything as a standard, or standardize the hardware? And not everyone will own it anyway. My only guess is that they'll use it as baseline performance for mid-level settings, because it will show up in the majority of laptops including macbooks.

11. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Indeed. I think Gabe was on a sugar-rush from too many Pixie Stix.

It doesn't even make any sense. This is a hardware item and in my view the biggest detractor in the PC gaming realm are software-based features not delivering on ease of use and simple integration like some consoles provide.

12. I.S.T.

Veteran

Basically, Gabe is saying that the minimum speed/capability of PCs just went up. Let's be honest: A lot of PCs ship with GMA related shit. Sandy Bridge is a hell of an upgrade, and Fusion will help even more once the Llano version ships.

The only problem is if Intel's drivers continue to be utterly terrible. The early reviews of Sandy Bridge seem to indicate they are getting better, but it's too soon to tell how much better, or if they are better at all.

SB and Fusion's integrated GPUs are nothing but good, and Gabe is merely stating the obvious(I imagine if this was an AMD event, he'd be praising Fusion specifically).

FWIW, I think Ivy Bridge will support DX11, but I imagine it'll be too slow to be worth a damn using DX11 features. Given DX11's feature level, well, feature, I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up seeing a lot of DX10.1 games starting next year...

13. Scott_Arm

Legend

SB and Fusion only up the minimum if you convince everyone to replace their laptops. It'll be quite a while before that happens.

14. I.S.T.

Veteran

You have a point. Still, SB and Fusion are a step up compared to the situation we have now. It'll be a while before things become better, but the process is starting.

15. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

I did a quick google and it seems even the latest gma stuff can't even play hl2 games at 30fps even with the lowest settings on a low resolution so I wonder if valve actually expects to sell games to people with such a system. So in that case every SB system would be a potential system they can sell games to.

Besides, people who buy a laptop with a intel igp, how realistic is it to think you would buy pc games anyway? I doubt those people care about games. Maybe something like sims but not anything ''core''. If that would be the case they would have spend a couple of bucks more and get something with decent gaming performance.

16. I.S.T.

Veteran

Valve is interested in selling games to anyone they can. Remember, they sell more than just their own games via Steam.

17. Scott_Arm

Legend

How likely is a person with SB to buy a game? They aren't necessarily more likely just because they have a laptop that can do it.

18. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

I know but its no different for non valve games. Anything that is remotely graphically demanding just wont run at accaptable fps on gma chips. Devs/pubs know that so I doubt they aim to sell games to people with systems not capable of running demanding games. That would make no sense. Thats probably why Gabe made that comment. Over time people will now ''always'' get a chip that is capable of running games at acceptable fps thus meaning valves market grows.

19. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

It's hardly a new process. The slow march of improved IGPs has been ongoing for years and years.

20. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

What's with the antagonistic angst?

I read that comment more as a welcome of the lowest level of the bar in terms of graphics quality for PC gaming having been raised to an acceptable level. I.e. every new PC is now a viable target for them as a developer. Not that there won't be the ability to rise it further for those with hardware oomph to clear higher settings.

This should be a good thing.