G80: Architectural Overview - Article Update

Discussion in 'Beyond3D Articles' started by Rys, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Just a quick post to let folks know I've updated our <a href="http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/nvidia/g80-arch/">G80 Architecture and GPU Analysis</a> article with some minor changes and updates that we were mostly holding off for our CUDA exam (cluster arrangement, confirmation of discrete CB caches and scheduler clock to name a few). Should stop Jawed miserably whining that we're a big bunch of slackers so much if nothing else (one hopes).

I'll get round to making a couple of changes to the big overview diagram at some point today, so keep an eye out for that as well. The discussion thread for the Arch. analysis is <a href="http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35443">here</a>, knock yourselves out!

As for the performance exam, we wait patiently for Vista drivers. Gives me time to write a new website in the meantime, so if you want to hold off on those drivers until February, NVIDIA, feel free.

Kidding.

2. Jawed

Legend

Yay.

With no R600 to interfere with your time...

Jawed

3. Rufus

Newcomer

Could you point out what exactly you updated? I don't really want to re-read the whole article to find them :roll:

Also CUDA exam! :shock: I've been waiting for more info on CUDA since it was announced.

4. reltham

Newcomer

Any chance of getting a summery of the changes? Or maybe hiliting them in the article?

5. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

• Rather than wonder about a discrete CB cache, I changed it to read that there definitely is one since we've since confirmed that's the case.
    • Confirmation that scheduler clock runs at half the shader clock (675MHz for 8800 GTX f.e.).
    • Confirmation that the missing MUL is serial to interp/SF and not available for general shading just now.
    • Confirmation that SPs are arranged '8x2' in a G80 shader cluster.
    • Confirmation that each cluster has its own dedicated register space rather than wondering.
    Those are the big changes in presented info, the rest was mostly just correcting layout issues, grammar and spelling, etc.

6. Suflex

Newcomer

Does that mean NV may enable it in the future? Will it have a noticeable performance impact if/when enabled?

7. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

It could be enabled one presumes. The obvious effect is performance going up given the right instruction mix and the assembler doing the right thing. It's hard to imagine performance going down at least!

8. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Has anyone examined VTF performance in G80? I'd like to know how much faster G80 is than previous cards in Pacific Fighters with the tricked-out water. While anyone is at it, they could tell me whether VTF will play any significant part in future games.

Yeah, I'm looking to definitively answer a question asked a long time ago in a forum far, far away.

9. JeGX

Newcomer

hi all,

here is the french translation of Rys's article "NVIDIA G80: Architecture and GPU Analysis". That was a quite hard work and I hope it will be useful for all french-speaking guys! Don't hesitate to point the translation mistakes.

LINK: http://www.ozone3d.net/tutorials/gpu_g80_arch/

Pete > as soon as I have a 8800, I'll do a little test/benchmark in OpenGL to look at the vtf perf unless you have already the answer.

10. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

JeGX, I don't think anyone's specifically noted the hit from enabling VTF water, but I also don't think it's as interesting to everyone as it is to me, at least in relation to all the other goodies G80 offers. :) Still, I'd appreciate a quick look, if you're also curious.

11. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

We've now got data sitting around for PF and VTF water, so hopefully we can disseminate that pretty soon.

JeGX, thanks for your hard work on the translation, I'll be in touch soon to talk about it a bit more!

12. JeGX

Newcomer

Pete > I'm very curious :wink:

Rys > Thanks to talk about the translation a bit more. It was a hard work but it was very interesting!