Future of PC games ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by NonNative, Jan 30, 2008.

1. _xxx_

Banned

Ohhh, the yearly "PC games are dead" discussion, wow! We haven't had one since, err, last year :D

2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

As someone who witnessed the demise of 8 bit, 16 bit, various consoles and handhelds, there is only one precursor to a platform expiring, and that's when people stop making games. Whatever sales numbers or piracy figures that are pulled out of the air and bandied about, as long as people are still making and shipping games, then there is no danger of the platform dying out for gaming. When there's nothing to buy and nothing being made for the PC, then it's time to buy a console, but as I illustrated in my earlier post that isn't the case with the PC. Every year there's a list of upcoming games scheduled for the next year, and every year that list looks bigger and better.

Several times every year we have this thread as a few noted devs complain about piracy, or grumble why their game didn't sell as well as they thought it should (I'm looking at you Mark Rein), but the fact is that PC games are a good market. Innovative and popular games do well, and bad games languish. If your game doesn't sell well, it's down to other reasons than the "dying PC games market", and you need to look closer to home as to why no one wanted your game.

If devs want to bail out of the PC market to make platformers on the consoles, then fine, others devs will take your place, and Valve will eat your lunch with Steam.

3. Davros

Legend

on that note Davros salutes the army of modders and freeware game makers who do it for the love of it
    Davros also salutes those companies who have open sourced their games - id, volition, ,microsoft, razorworks, rowan ect for the benefit of gamers, programers and modders

4. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

For gaming purposes? Enough, certainly. They probably don't do it themselves, but I've installed many a video card through my shop. Not as much as RAM or hard drives, of course, but plenty more than exploring CPU upgrades. Video cards make the most difference, and are dead simple to upgrade.

5. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

How many fucking times is this ridiculous topic going to read it's ugly head on this forum? None of these threads are ever insightful or thought provoking, and essentially encourage people to butt heads over trivial nonsense.

#25 Dresden, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2008
  6. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

A much more representitive way to look at the PC games market performance would be to take worldwide, unit sales inluding digital distrubution and then compare it in turn to each individual console platform.

I'm sure the PC would look VERY healthy then. Probably moreso than most of the seperate plaforms.

Of course, thats not accounting for the crappy games that make up all those sales.

The PC still has loads of great games, easily comparable to any console, its just that those games (what are considered AAA to the console crowd - and me) don't sell as well on PC as console while the PC is much stronger in the more casual genres.

#26 pjbliverpool, Jan 31, 2008
  7. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

I thought this one had excellent posts by navros. There are a few space sim fans that will be polishing their joysticks and saluting him. Besides.

Also there was the list of the upcoming games for 2008, quite enlightening. A few closet wing commander/freespace players came out! (Quite beautiful really)

Edit: removed offtopic.

#27 Squilliam, Jan 31, 2008
  8. Dresden

Veteran

My point is, its the same question thats been presented time and time again. Only in a new hat. While the level of rolled eyes and light jabs may be fewer than that of the previous threads, these threads only escalate to near screaming matches between users. Never in my history of being part of this forum, has any of these threads ever ended without heated arguments.

9. L233

Veteran

If you don't like it, don't read it.

So what? Nothing in these threads is as annoying as armchair moderators. Here's an idea for you: why don't you just let people write what they want to write as long as it doesn't go against the rules.

#29 L233, Jan 31, 2008
  10. Dresden

Veteran

The thread title mislead me.

11. sudzy

Newcomer

I have a Dell 9400 with a ATI mobility 1400 and C2D 1.66ghz and 2gig RAM. Not a blistering PC by any stretch of the imagination. although I do have a 17" UltraSharp screen that is very nice.

I travel for work a great deal and my little rig does me very well. I have played Stalker, Neverwinter nights2, C&C3, Medieval II, Civ4, and Age of Mythology Titans (play this one online almost everyday).

Granted, I do not run with 16xAA or anything, but I don't need it!

I can play my games in the hotel at night and plug in the PLC by day. I love my little Dell, piece of garbage it may be...:roll:

Pretty narrow view if you ask me...

12. Dresden

Veteran

How is that "armchair moderating," if that's even legitimate terminology. I'm not trying to censor people, I'm merely saying the topic has been run into the ground. And if you're denying my piping in and shining the spotlight on a topic thats been covered consistently, as something that happens on a daily basis on any forum on the internet, you're insane.

Now here's an idea for you, perhaps you should take your own advice and leave me entitled to say what I want, so long as it doesn't break the rules. Or you could ask the mods to remove the "registration" tab.

13. Squilliam

Veteran

This forum is far more tame than the console forums. I made a thread about whether or not multi-dvd games would bother people with xboxes and it started turning into a slagging match. I asked a mod to close it before it got too bad. Pretty much any comparisons of consoles there risks a thread closure.

I wish we had the stats from steam etc. It would make help with the inferiority complex we Pc gamers have regarding the sales of the Consoles/Games for those systems. One thing is certain, when the money spent on MMO's etc is counted as well. The total revenue of PC gaming looks good. (Even without including direct downloads)

Heck, if we had the numbers of GPU's sold, especially high end ones it would help.

Edit: Seriously, need to get back on topic and stop this bickering. People if you want to say something thats not directly related to the thread please use Pms because thats what they are there for.
    Edit2: It would be nice if people could be the bigger men and edit out the inflamitory parts of their posts. If anyone thinks I written anything that they think is inflamitory I will gladly edit it out, I hope you can do the same.

#33 Squilliam, Jan 31, 2008
  14. Dresden

Veteran

If I remember correctly, someone posted Steam's sales stats in another thread.

15. Gnerma

Regular

That would be a feat since these have never been released.

16. Squilliam

Veteran

17. Dresden

Veteran

My mistake. It was gameplay stats. I somehow equated that with sales.

My apologies.

18. Squilliam

Veteran

Two good things to come of this, Over 80% of people on steam have Direct x 9+. Thats 9.6 million. Which is a greater number than PS3 sales.

47% with shader model 3+ (What cards are these?) Thats about 6 million.

So that says that the market using steam is 12million which is currently alone comparable to any console. If taken alone it would make the PC the 3rd console behind Xbox.

Thanks Ink, good idea about steam.

19. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Can't you refuse to take part in the Steam survey? And obviously every PC gamer doesn't have steam installed. Based on that I would say you could at least double those figures.

20. Squilliam

Veteran

I think you can refuse, yea. It's been a while since I loaded up steam though. I think another thing about the PC game market is that it's quite segmented and the people tend to play fewer games longer. Online games like counterstrike are around for years! MMORPG's etc. So the install base is larger, it's attach rate, if you want to use the console phrase is smaller.

I think on the hard core PC/console gamer front. I am one too, I expect to purchase fewer console games, mainly the AAA titles and buy the rest on my PC as time goes by. I also think the older the consoles are in the generations, the greater the number of techheads who go back to P.C games for the superior graphics. I can't help but E-lol when I see threads on the miniscule differences between Xbox 360 games and PS3 games. (Insert "You see here when you zoom in the PS3 has slightly better/worse..." Rinse and repeat)

P.C gaming certainly has a future and it is getting brighter. I have seen the huge change in attitudes on forums with regards to Warez etc. People really do seem to be clamping down on it. If anything positive has come from the stories of the demise of the P.C gaming, it's the community effort to squeeze out piracy. It changed my attitude a few years ago, and im changing the attitudes of my friends.