Future of PC games ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by NonNative, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Gnerma

Regular

Tomb Raider Anniversary last year.

I don't see how its the PCs fault that your taste's changed and you prefer genres that are more comfortable on the consoles in recent years.

2. HeyJoJo

Newcomer

I hear Sega is making a new GoldenAxe game, there is still hope for the consoles.

Well if you have to go back to snes for that type of game, i guess that genre is totally dead.

3. HeyJoJo

Newcomer

That's the point, the reason i dont buy PCs games is because they dont make the games i like, so i have to buy console games. If PC game developers what my £££ then dont make me another Quake clone.

4. Gnerma

Regular

Fair enough. You should look into the indie scene. A lot of indie games are more in the spirit of classic console gameplay (with a hyper injection of innovation). Give these games a try: Gish, Aquaria, the Knytt series, Barkley Shut Up & Jam Gaiden, Mr. Robot, N, & Cave Story.

5. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Thats my point, yes its dead, but its dead on consoles as well as PC's.

Rgd platformers, thats a genre the 360 is very light on too. On PC there are of course the tombraider games, and the prince of persia games but I can't think of any others off the top of my head, unless you count the Sonic games (Heroes etc..)

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/14383

7. pjbliverpool

Legend

Then perhaps we are simply asking the wrong question. Is PC gaming dying? No, definatly not. In fact its extremely strong right now.

Is "hardcore" PC gaming dying? I.e. the type of high end gaming that people who frequent these sites care about?

Very possibly.

8. Davros

Legend

mortal kombat
    ps: if you like carrier command you should try hostile waters
    "Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising is a hybrid vehicle and strategy game released on the PC in 2002 by the British company Rage Games Limited. It was inspired by an earlier game known as Carrier Command (Realtime Games, 1988)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_Waters_(game)

9. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

You know, I like his stance on copy protection shens and all but putting forth a 200K on 1st month figure isn't helping his case at all. With today's budgets, for a single-platform AAA title, that means letting go of half the company. That's exactly why developers are turning to consoles (either exclusively or to "cast a wider net").

Best case for comparison is CoD4 which was released simultaneously on 3 platforms, where the PC version had the lowest retail price and it did not require a system from the future to run on. Despite that, it still underperformed by a STUPID amount versus what the console versions did. And it was a FPS, the poster-child for keyb/mouse!

While I agree that copy protection hurts consumers how many people truly follow through on their "if it has copy-protection I'm not buying it" threats and therefor is a real influence on PC game sales numbers. Because that's what we're talking about: sales numbers, not overall forum mood.

10. HeyJoJo

Newcomer

Hostile waters was good, but i was a linear game. I'd still prefer a more strategic game like the original fighting for islands and resources.

I will try some indie games, i might be missing out on a few gems

11. sonix666

Regular

In my opinion, no. What is 'hardcore' gaming anyways?

Problems the last two years is that too many AA-title houses have been concentrating too much on great graphics, but in the meantime feeding us the same stuff over and over again. Not to mention the duration of games gets shorter and shorter over time.

12. pjbliverpool

Legend

In this context, I class hardcore PC gaming as the PC gamers who are interested in high end GPU's and the games to push them. Crysis, CoD4, Bioshock etc...

This is opposed to more mainstream gamers who don't really care (or even know about) high end GPU's and just want to use their redular old Dell PC to play games as well as surf the net.

The problem that you quote applies to the gaming indusrty in general (if you buy into it as being a problem at all - I don't), its not specific to the PC. If anything the PC is going in the opposite direction.

13. SugarCoat

Veteran

I dont think thats a best case. Console gamers have proven for a very long time they will vacuum up anything that has a high bling factor regardless of its catagory. It wont stop people from preaching the superiority of an FPS on a PC but that doesnt mean that FPS on consoles dont sell either, quite the opposite and its always been that way.

I can give you a recent example. I was in the mood for a new racer, watched some vids of DiRT, was about to purchase it and noticed it came with Starforce and immediatly postponed the purchase. I dont mind Securom but Starforce i have a problem with ever since i installed SH3 which whacked out my PC. Even Ubisoft dumped SF due to the bad publicity it was earning them on their own forums and you even have a few instances of games being re-released without it like X3 and even Ubisoft released patches to remove the SF check from a few games. The thing that i think upsets legitimate purchasers the most is that even with the invasive software being secretly installed on their PC the games are still cracked so in the end what does that get you?

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Especially if that anti-piracy software is installed with ring-0 privilegies, full control...

15. Galduta

Veteran

16. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Of course PC gaming won't die, but I do think the boutique companies should:D

Big thing I want to see is more modular notebooks with MXM and AXIOM cards. I know notebook manufacturers hate the idea, they want you to buy a new notebook and not upgrade the one you already have, but it might happen some day. Notebooks will continuously become a more viable choice in the coming years for the mainstream consumer public, and with it manufacturing will have to change because people will demand it. Designing such a machine won't obviously be the thinnest notebook, but it'll be upgradeable in all aspects. Choose your chasis (with LCD keyboard/trackpad already attached), motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD, DVD drive, dedicated video if you'd like it, wireless adapter, etc. Of course like desktops there would be certain constraints and standardized parts depending on the size of the machine, however I can foresee the 15 inch market being the dominant one considering it's a good size for portability and power.

17. I.S.T.

Veteran

Mr. Robot would be awesome if the frigging controls in the action parts weren't so sucky.

18. Gnerma

Regular

Agreed the control does suck.

19. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

If all most people do is internet, email, word and the current computer is fine... Then most people can't even upgrade their computers if they want to! They are simply too old. Look at the numbers of Xp/98 machines that remain even today. Theres no point for them to upgrade to Console spec, because it IS cheaper for them to own one.

20. aaronspink

Veteran

I would prefer if people didn't refer to console "RPGs" as RPGs for the most part. The vast majority are simply excused for pre-rendering gigabytes worth of FMV with little to no roll playing involved.