Future of PC games ?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by NonNative, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Well either way you cannot deny the potential market for laptop gaming. Might as well support the idea, and people with the system specs seem to take advantage of it. I know people with high end laptops and Macbook Pros, which they bought for more practical work, but their powerful graphics were a big bonus that they love.

2. Galduta

Veteran

http://gizmodo.com/368456/acer-planning-to-build-open-platform-console

Console ... or PC ;) ?

3. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

4. Galduta

Veteran

Well, Acer is the third largest computer manufacturer in the world . But all computers of Acer have integrated graphics :lol: . And is member of the PCGA :mrgreen: , Personal Computer Gravediggers Aliance :mrgreen:

#244 Galduta, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2008
  5. HeyJoJo

Newcomer

Lots of PC games are release in a very buggy state and some take months of patching before they are in a playable. That puts me off PC gaming.

I wonder how much processing power is lost on the PC due to 20+ years hardware/software kludge.

I wish Sony or Microsoft would release a home computer version of their consoles with a very lean and simple OS. It would include software and hardware programming manuals so you could program to the metal if you wanted. It would be like the Atari ST/Amiga days again.

6. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Console games are becoming bug ridden too though. I can name more than a few examples, with the most recent that come to mind being Oblivion and Mass Effect. In fact, Oblivion on PC is saved by mods and unofficial patches IMO and the consoles don't get these at all.

I think bugs are perhaps unavoidable simply because of how complex software is becoming. Of course, it doesn't excuse the developer from releasing fixes and many do not.

I doubt it's all that much honestly. We've seen platforms claim to have an advantage because of their "fresh approach" (Apple POWERPC) and they have lost in the end to economies of scale afforded by the PC's vast backwards compatibility and its reassurance aspects for buyers and the industry IMO.

#246 swaaye, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  7. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

But then the more it is multi-use like PC the more bugs/problems will rise. can you uppgrade? Is the software complex or simple (media-players, tools, editors etc etc). Malware becoming a problem? How much freedom does teh user really have? etc etc :smile:

8. Kyyla

Veteran

Btw. the Unreal games are available via Steam now.

9. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I think thats a bit of a misconception. Most PC games are just as playable as your average console game when they are released. I have never encountered an unplayable game yet.

Some, perhaps even the majority have issues of one form or another but not to a significantly greater extent than your average console game. Its just that PC gamers are a particularly fussy lot who like to complain too much :wink:

I mean, just look at the reception UT3 got on the PC compared to the PS3 version. In reality, an objective evaluation of both versions shows the PC version was actually equal or better in every way. Nevetherless it got slammed by the PC crowd and recieved pretty much no negative feedback from the PS3 crowd.

10. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

The PC had a coherent UT community and experience of their previous massive hit UT games, and so had high expectations (stoked for years by Epic). It's no surprise the PC crowd were not happy with what was delivered, or that the PS3 crowd didn't have the history or investment in the UT games to feel equally aggrieved.

11. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I agree, we PC users have already tasted the cake and we want a better cake with more on top, fresh ingredients and lots of sugar. The PS3 users are tasting it for their first time and such will be more tolerant. Would they have had the complete UT series from start then I would think they would have complained as much as PC users.

12. SugarCoat

Veteran

To take this thought a step further games over the last few years have skyrocketed in production costs. For publishers backing these projects they want to see return and want it asap so in many instances even when a dev says their product isnt ready the publisher doesnt care.

13. aaronspink

Veteran

You obviously never played Splinter Cell: Double Agent. I don't know how in the world anyone could of released that pile of bugs with a straight face. We're talking about a game where even the LOAD menus didn't work!!

14. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Haha I watched my friend play the PS3 version. It ran like a stinking pile of shit. Ubisoft really knows how to be a bunch of jerk-offs.

15. pjbliverpool

Legend

Yeah to be fair I never played the full version but the demo did have major issues for me. I figured it was just a demo issue - I guess not!

16. HeyJoJo

Newcomer

I hardly buy PC games now since i got a xbox360. What would get me to buy PC games again is if they made some of my fav retro games updated with todays technology.

Carrier command
    Elite 4
    X-com (ufo aftermath and followup just did not feel right as the spiritual successor)
    Bioforge
    Another world
    Flashback
    ... i could go on and on

I'm bored of WWII FPS and FPS in general. Where are the PCs Lost Odyssey's, Final Fantasy's, Legend of the Dragoon's.

No Japanese style RPGS
    No beat'em ups like virtual fighter and soul calibur
    No side scrolling beat'em ups like Streets of rage

One type of game i have yet to see on the PC is a 2.5D horizontal beat'em up (light Final Fight but using 3D)

What is wrong with the PC game market, too much of the same and nothing new. We need some good new stuff, not more of the same FPS with different graphics.

The main reason i dont buy PC games is because there is hardly anything to choose from except tons FPS. I am looking forward to getting Spore, assuming its not going to be bug ridden.

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Well that is more of a taste thing, personally I find it releaving to not see such games for PC released this gen, becouse it would be an instant 'no buy' for me. But as I said a taste thing between western RPG and Japanese style RPG.

That I find quite strange considering the fact that PC has the broadest game genre base of all platforms. There are a lot of different type of genres and each one with a multitude of games. On the contrary consoles tend to have more FPS games and most of them 'run and gun' style. And then FPS games on PC are in a wide range from 'run and gun' style to 'RPG/FPS' style. Not to say that consoles doesn't have 'RPG/FPS' games but they are mostly far simpler and few. :smile:

18. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

One of the worst ports ever made. Lousy optimisations, horrible graphics overal (aswell as the console version), crash prone and just a pile of shit to be gentle, period!

19. pjbliverpool

Legend

How many side scrolling beat'em ups do the current consoles have? Personally, if I need a fix of that type of gameplay I just load up the snes or genesis emulators.

20. HeyJoJo

Newcomer

How for back do you have to go find a good platform game on the PC? I cant recall any in the last year.