Funny Mark Rein interview on Eurogamer

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
(Looks like there are threads devoted to Mark Rein interviews going back to 2005 ... :D)

Anyway, this interview had me grinning and chuckling, and also contains some interesting comments on a number of current topics, like next-gen, motion controls, etc. But above all, it's just hilarious. Eurogamer's Ellie Gibson in great form.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/epics-mark-rein-interview

Maybe now they can get their Gears of Golf going with Natal. ;)

mm... didn't realize they're already coming out with a second novel. Anyone read the first one? Impressions?

I wonder what Blizzard might do with Natal (if anything). An RTS with that degree of control could be neat.

Mark Rein: Over half the users who played Gears of War 2 so far do not have HDTVs. [Dramatic pause.]
Interesting.

Sony's way ahead of them!
kratos.jpg

Marky R! That was indeed funny. But on that "half of users have SD" remark my next question would be "how da frak do you know that? Are you spying on users? Is Microsoft? Oh my gawd, I have an alien probe on my behind!" but that's me.

:p

Marky.R said:
Mark Rein: Yes. The two games they showed on stage used our engine, so we're really excited about that. I'm very pro-Natal. There are a lot of interesting things you could do with it and I'm really excited to be involved with it.
We're working closely with Microsoft to spread the enhancements they made with Unreal Engine 3 to other developers. If people out there are interested in doing really cool games for Natal, they should contact me and I can put them in touch with Microsoft.
I would have love if Eurogamer asked details about those enhancements.
Are they specific to Natal? Or as Ms land their on UE3 they did some more generic enhancements to the engine? (I guess it's the former but I would like to know for sure).

that interview was funny as hell

Mark Rein: I do this because it's my job and Cliff does the whole public persona thing because he loves interfacing with the fans, being a personality; he's really good at it. He's a great face for the game business and I think he has fun with it. He doesn't care what you call him, just as long as you call him.

Eurogamer: Do you ever look at him and think, 'I, Mark Rein, would like to be a bit cooler? Perhaps I should get a gold chain and start calling myself Marky R?'

Marky R: No.
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I would have love if Eurogamer asked details about those enhancements.
It's old stuff : it's pretty well known that sony sent 2-3 guys to help the ps3 version . MS sent a squad for 360 version of the engine.

As a side note ,I have that funny comment from Mark Rain about their relationship with MS ,but i really can't repeat it on the open.:)

Marky R! That was indeed funny. But on that "half of users have SD" remark my next question would be "how da frak do you know that? Are you spying on users? Is Microsoft? Oh my gawd, I have an alien probe on my behind!" but that's me.

:p

MS know the setting of all 360 connecting, and Sony probably do the same for PS3…

Eurogamer: Perhaps we could have a competition where Eurogamer readers write in with suggestions?

Marky R: No, I don't think so. I've read the forums. No.

Entertaining read. :)

He mentioned Natal interfacing already included in UE3 and available to all UE3 customers, that's pretty big. Not too surprising as it sounds like MS did the majority of the work there.

I wonder if it's the same for the PS3 motion controller, or if they are still working on that.

Regards,
SB

Also makes you wonder whether 1080p will be worth the effort for the next gen...

By that time, sure. I didn't find the comment surprising to be honest, but still, obviously the Wii has the stigma of looking "last gen".

I did learn that Rein is Canadian :D

I wonder whether someone should make a SD game on next gen consoles and spend those resources elsewhere on the engine. No HD game looks as realistic as SD News at Ten.

Back