Funniest ad

ET

Regular
I just saw at X-bit labs an ad for Windows Server 2003:

UNIX-level reliability
Without a UNIX-level budget

I guess they haven't heard of Linux. :)

RussSchultz said:
Factor in support costs and you'll find the situation a little different.

I disagree. You can find RHCE's for the same price as MCSE's. Don't forget, the OS isn't the only thing thats free. So is all of your application software. Take a look into the cost actual of licensing sometime instead of reading TCO comparisons funded by microsoft.

some myth want that unix would need particuliarly competent people to run it, while there wouldn't be such requirements for windows 2003...

but the fact the graphical UI being fancy doesn't prevent the need of mastering the concepts of the OS..

where i work we manage lots of unixes boxes (solaris and linux) and i guess the human force needed would be at least on par if it were windows 2003 servers. and as we rely as much as possible on free applications we spare *lots* of money.

mail servers, http proxy, intranet, file serving used by more than a thousand of people and no licence to pay. cost per seat much much lower.

some myth want that unix would need particuliarly competent people to run it, while there wouldn't be such requirements for windows 2003...

No, the point is the cost of the software pales in comparison to what it costs to run it and manage it, so whether its "free" or "for pay", its still going to be expensive to maintain in a business environment.

the cost to run unix or windows 2003 is equivalent, in any case it needs some qualified people to manage it..

but in our case the software licensing savings are significant not to say BIG compared to these costs.

proxy server, exchange, file serving, NT.. how much would we pay for licenses for 1000+ seats, five servers ? add to this IIS licenses, some sql server...

Back