Fun times with Super Nintendo

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
So, apparently this new flashcart can show what Super Nintendo CD could have been capable of.
Far better quality video stuff than what Sega Mega CD ever was.

The occasional blurring and flickering is caused by my camera and my inexperience in filming. In real life the picture is flicker free NTSC 60Hz. Nice and decent quality.
There´s no flicker captured my camera in pal mode as you can see it only starts to flicker when I change the snes to 60Hz (I use supercic and IGR)
In 50Hz the video and audio would be out of sync.
The audio is barely audible in the video due to me filming this during the night so I had to keep volume reasonably down.

What?? There are snes flashcarts?? I didn't know that. How much does something like that cost?

As for the supercd emulation, isnt there a much more powerful chip in there to do the emulation compared to what would have been in the original? I suppose if it's some sort of xvid file you are playing it woulnd't have been possible on the super cd?

What?? There are snes flashcarts?? I didn't know that. How much does something like that cost?

As for the supercd emulation, isnt there a much more powerful chip in there to do the emulation compared to what would have been in the original? I suppose if it's some sort of xvid file you are playing it woulnd't have been possible on the super cd?

You are correct that the CPU is more powerful than what would have been in SNES CD, which I suspect it would have been an NEC V810 or derivative. But the bigger point is that no matter how powerful a coprocessor you give a SegaCD-like attachment it'll always be limited by the Genesis's VDP. SNES's PPUs are better suited for this task, because:

1) Genesis can only display 61 colors in its tiles and each tile (8x8 region) can only display 16 colors, so a lot of SegaCD games just used 16 colors for the whole screen. SNES, on the other hand, can display 256 colors and has modes where every tile can display every color.
2) Genesis's palette entries are only 9-bit while SNES's are 15-bit, so you get a lot more range, plus SNES has HDMA which makes it more efficient at switching colors mid-line.

The situation is such that for 32X Sega had to use a video passthrough to combine both video streams, a solution which also suffers from analog quality issues.

Of course with a 1x CD-ROM you'd be limited to 150kbit/s content no matter how you managed to compress it.

Yes, there are at least 3 different kinds of flashcarts for snes. Cheaper ones dont do any special chips and cost less than 100 euros. More expensive ones support all kinds of special stuff and costs between 150 and 250 euros.

Back