Full ATI DR Presentation ( slides )

Arun

Unknown.
Legend
Hey,

www.notforidiots.com/GPURW.php

The following ATI for-developer presentation, made of 16 slides, has always been given to me in its integrality. Slide 1 and 11 have already been leaked, and I've been the person between the poster and the original source too. My decision to only leak those two slides at that time was due to the wish to leak the other 14 slides a few days later by myself.
Slide 11 is put partly out of context without the rest of the presentation, but this was not done on purpose. The general idea, in my opinion at least, remains unchanged with the other slides, although the statement is less "evil" in context.

The most shocking in this presentation, in my eyes, is not Slide 11. It's the wish, through the full presentation, to destroy special code paths, in an effort to "focus on gameplay", according to ATI's PR statement. Not anywhere as "evil" as some people would like you to believe, but still! No reason to be proud of it.

It has also come to my attention that several persons related to this affair are suspecting NV PR, as well as some of its employees in particuliar, of being the source of this presentation. Such a rumor, or perhaps speculation, while being founded on some correct information, is not accurate. The source of this presentation is part of NVIDIA, but not in their PR department.
And it ain't just NV spying on ATI - otherwise, how do you explain that numerous sources claim ATI canned the R400 after looking at the NV40 specs?

If you quote me on this, please at least quote the paragraph you're quoting in its integrity.

Also, a full-blown editorial will be released in the next 1-2 weeks.

www.notforidiots.com/ATIDR

Comments? ( And please don't flame me because I created a username just for this :p I already had the Uttar username, but it wasn't activated I think and I lost the e-mail for it )

Uttar

( And yes, I'm lazy and won't put more comments on this post :p )

I assume you copied the above post from a different forum, since you certainly didn't sign up just for this post here :D

Very interesting to read the slides in full. I found Slides 6-9 pretty unprofessional to be honest, and it's very PR driven in how they've worded things in that section (although it's obviously ALL worded in favour of ATi, just to a lesser extent). They really stick the knife in there, which is suprising given how this was meant to be an internal document :)?:). It was also hypocritical of them to criticise nVidia's TWIMTBP campaign, when slide 12 talks about ATi doing almost the exact same things. Oh, but that's okay because ATi are the "good" guys here :rolleyes:

Interesting to see what people are going to say about this.

LOL! Yeah. I copied it from Rage3D...

It's not really an internal document - it's a for-developer document AFAIK, for developers in the "Get In The Game" program or ones interested in becoming part of it ( not 100% sure of that though ).
I doubt it was *particularly* hard to come by, since Fudo had Slide 11 ( not all of it ) from someone in no way affiliated to NV ( AFAIK at least ). But then again, I didn't try to get it, hehe ;) I'm just an intermediary!

Uttar

Damn, Hellbinder is flaming me a lot at the Rage3D forums regarding that R400/NV40 thing... I did put it WAY too much out of context.

AFAIK, when ATI canned the R400, they had the NV40 specs. But they realized they couldn't deliver in the timeframe they wanted ( Q1 ) , and the NV40 could be beaten through R300-based brute force. So they renamed R400 as R500, and created the R420.
That's AFAIK of course - I don't pretend to know everything.

Uttar

Standard PR presentation, but I don't see anything in there which is factually incorrect. I don't see any problem with ATI wanting to discourage special code paths (though I didn't see where they actually stated this - it's just vaguly implied). ATI doesn't need special paths, why should they want developers to code them? They want developers to focus on standard DX9, which is what R300 does very well thank you.

I don't even see a problem with slide 6-9 - it's factually correct, and it's what you say when you are "selling yourself". It's ATI telling developers why ATI is a better bet than Nvidia when it comes to deciding which marketing partnership to sign up to. Everything hangs off the fact that ATI have better hardware, and support industry standard DX9 and HLSL, which is completely true

I've sat in these kinds of presentations before for other software products where millions of dollars are at stake, and this is pretty tame stuff by comparison.

Slides 6-9 were pretty factual, but it just felt like it was all very petty, slinging mud and making comparisons to 3dfx.

But, as you say, it's all PR.

PaulS said:
Slides 6-9 were pretty factual, but it just felt like it was all very petty, slinging mud and making comparisons to 3dfx.

But, as you say, it's all PR.

Well it reads pretty cold, but it's all just bullet points. There would have been someone talking and expanding on all of this stuff, answering questions, bantering with the developers. It probably took you a minute or two to read these slides, but the presentation they were a part of probably took an hour.

These slides give the main points, the headlines, but they do not tell the whole story or give us the full context of what was actually said. Based on all the slides and what we know of ATI and Nvidia, I really don't see a big deal here. These slides don't convey any information that hasn't already been posted on these forums in one form or another and seem to be factually correct as far as I can tell.

If "Nvidia is walking around with big bags of cash" it sounds good to be on the receiving end :). I'll take 2 please. I don't find these slides really offensive but I think that certain people who are fanboys will find them offensive and try to defend ATI from what it needs no defense for. No one in this thread though, but certain people that have harped on Nvidia doing some things that are exactly the same can see the hypocrisy in their stance and it makes them touchy.

edit:
What HB has now edited doesn't look to bad btw, no less than I would expect if he feels someone is attacking his baby. ATI really doesn't need people to stick up for them like that now b/c their products support themselves w/o people getting all crazy.

PaulS said:
I assume you copied the above post from a different forum, since you certainly didn't sign up just for this post here :D

Very interesting to read the slides in full. I found Slides 6-9 pretty unprofessional to be honest, and it's very PR driven in how they've worded things in that section (although it's obviously ALL worded in favour of ATi, just to a lesser extent). They really stick the knife in there, which is suprising given how this was meant to be an internal document :)?:). It was also hypocritical of them to criticise nVidia's TWIMTBP campaign, when slide 12 talks about ATi doing almost the exact same things. Oh, but that's okay because ATi are the "good" guys here :rolleyes:

Interesting to see what people are going to say about this.

Sigh...it's really amazing how people can misconstrue the obvious...First of all, this material is really, really dated. It shows Q3 shipping in '03 and DeusX2--Invisible War shipping in Q2 '03 (don't tell me I missed DeusX2!)...:) Anyway, it's been a few months since it became apparent that D3 wouldn't make it in '03...so this material predates all of that....Anyway, that's neither here nor there...

What this is is a presentation geared for new ATi employees to train them. How can that not be obvious to everyone? These are employee training pages designed to indoctrinate new ATi employees on what ATi is, where it stands in the 3d-gaming market place, what it has to offer, and what its *competitive advantages* are over the companies with which it competes in the 3d-gaming marketplace, etc.

OK, page number 7 is entitled "What Developers think of Cg"....now, what would a page like this be doing in a document meant for Developers? Why would ATi need to tell Developers what Developers think of Cg? Heh...:) Well, of course they wouldn't. But they *would* need to tell it to ATi employees whose job it is to go out and *talk* to game developers about ATi's "get in the game program," or any other facet of developer relations, wouldn't they? Besides, all of this stuff is really elementary to game developers, who know and appreciate very well what's going on in the industry, and such basic info as contained in these slides wouldn't interest them in the slightest.

I don't quite know why it is, but some people think that everyone who works for a company like ATi knows how to program 3d games and design graphics chips. Well, it ain't so!...:D In fact, some hires are pimply-faced youngsters barely out of school whose sum total of knowledge about 3d consists of how to spell it. Some hires know nothing about 3d or ATi or nVidia or where ATi fits into the marketplace, don't know what Renderman is, etc., ad infinitum.

So...training materials like this are designed to bring them up to speed on the basics so that they can actually have a semi-literate conversation with someone like a game developer, or someone else invovled with the industry, and not look like total fools in the course of the conversation.

I can also add here that every company on earth bigger than a dog house has such training material for its employees. I've seen the same thing many, many times. If you're still in school and you see something like this you may not understand what it is, exactly--but believe me if you leave school and go to work for a sizable company you are going to see this kind of thing shoved in your face until you absolutely get so sick of it you will puke in your boss's lap! *chuckle* I kid you not.

I'm not privy to the details, but just guessing I'd say this is training material for people hired by the company to conduct low-level developer relations. Everything in these pages is basic and foundational, and assumes the person reading them knows nothing at all about the company or its goals or its competition. In fact, in studying the Renderman pages briefly I see notes on them referencing dozens of ancillary documents--all of which are missing from these pages--but they are plainly enumerated--so I'm guessing this is some kind of new employee training kit, or else part of presentation for new employees that is a routine part of ATi employee orientation, and the referenced documents are included in kits they get when they start.

This is entry-level, entry-grade stuff. What it absolutely is not, I'm confident, is anything at all targeted at anyone outside ATi, who would not find any of this info of any value.

Ho-Humm--another mountain out of a mole hill...Move along, nothing to see here....Yawn...:)

...why are you quoting me? You didn't reference anything i said :D And, in fact, pretty much supported my theory that this was in internal document.

Also, whilst i felt the tone in a couple of the slides was a little "off", I'm under no illusion that other companies aren't doing similar things in their literature - It's just that we don't have access to all those other pieces of literature, do we? So I have to comment on what we/I do have.

Regardless, i agree with a number of your points.

PaulS said:
...why are you quoting me? You didn't reference anything i said :D And, in fact, pretty much supported my theory that this was in internal document.

Also, whilst i felt the tone in a couple of the slides was a little "off", I'm under no illusion that other companies aren't doing similar things in their literature - It's just that we don't have access to all those other pieces of literature, do we? So I have to comment on what we/I do have.

Regardless, i agree with a number of your points.

I don't know why I quoted you, exactly...:) Except maybe because of your "unprofessional" comments. But really the post was geared to anybody who might be tempted to think that this was some kind of propaganda ATi was trying to push on developers. Heh...:) Believe me, "developers" would have a good laugh if ATi or nVidia or anybody tried to influence them with stuff like this...:) This is very low-level, basic employee-indoctrination material...I doubt it would fly very well in any software houses I can imagine...

LOL, I was expecting Kyro.pdf like content from those slides.
Way to go creating controversy over nothing, seems some people crave attention more than others ;)

Like I said it is no big deal the big deal is that people are trashing others and saying they are worthless scum becuse of it... that is just silly :)

Sxotty said:
Like I said it is no big deal the big deal is that people are trashing others and saying they are worthless scum becuse of it... that is just silly :)
Shut up you worthless scum! :mad:

j/k! ;)

Sxotty said:

Agreed. The type of BS I've seen did contribute quite a bit in my final decision to leak the other 16 slides, even though I had thought for a while it might have been better not to.

Uttar

Back