Free, Legal: 1st episode of Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babel-17, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

I posted this over at slackercentral, here's a paste.

I installed the updated Real Player Alternative codecs and mozilla now works fine.

I posted quite a bit of info about Real Player Alternative in the slackercentral thread.

http://boards.slackercentral.com/showthread.php?t=66299

2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Talking of which, I've just read that a second series has been commissioned - 20 episodes starring all of the cast from series 1.

3. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Yup, and that's an interesting announcement all things considered. ;)

To say more might be considered spoiling the end of season one for those who haven't see it.

I'm glad the show is coming back.

Considering the large number of geeks who are fans of the show I'm tempted to speculate that there is an important implication to the free download we are seeing.

I'm wondering if we might see the show in some form being offered as a streaming download.

I wouldn't mind having commercials inserted in exchange for getting a digital episode of high quality.

I do get the sci-fi channel but it's an analog signal.

I see implications in their choosing the Real Player format, it doesn't cache itself. Now, there are ways around that for storing and distributing the file but I think people with broadband would prefer to just the view thing in unmodified form with the commercials.

Distributing the show like that has many implications. I'm interested in seeing if my hypothesis turns out to have any merit.

4. Gerry

Regular

Ahhh. I see what you mean. Good point. :wink:

First series was very good. Seemed to be well received over here in the UK as well. Glad they're making a second series.

5. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It's just advertising. BG is a SF show, but it does have the potential to go mainstream. I even saw it reviewed a couple of months back as something to watch "especially if you don't like sci-fi", so this is a way of helping get the word out.

The mini-series did well enough to get a short series 1 commissioned, but I think they were surprised at how well the series did in the UK and now in the US, so they are capitalizing on the fact they now have a hit on their hands.

I'm also glad there's going to be a series 2, as there are a load of unanswered questions and some major cliffhangers at the end of series 1. Let's hope they can keep up the high quality of writing, acting and visuals they've been showing in series 1.

6. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

BG is the best sci-fi show I've seen since B5.

and yes, I've seen the entire season 1, even though I'm in the US. having to wait for new ones makes me sad.

7. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

Where'd you see the episodes?

Torrents?

I really dig the show...

8. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

The usenet has/had them.

Everything from high definition transport streams of the NBC broadcasts (edited to provide room for commercials) down to VCD encodes of the satellite broadcasts (Skyone).

In between are the "homemade" DVD's of the satellite broadcasts as well as slighly lower quality DivX/XviD mp4's.

It's not hard to do with the amazing software available.

Legal for one's own home use I imagine if you are paying for the feed but I doubt there aren't legal questions as to uploading them.

Though I pay for the sci-fi channel and a hi-def cable box I find it hard to fault people who simply can't get the show where they live.

I guess "buy the DVD when it comes out" would be the rejoinder.

Call me "switzerland" on the issue. :)

9. RussSchultz

Veteran

There were NBC broadcasts?

10. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Sky funded a lot of it, and showed them pretty much as they came off the production line. If like me you are in the UK, you would have seen the whole of series 1 in the UK on cable/satellite before the Sci-Fi Channel in the US could fit the show into their schedule.

Sky has a new director and is taking the channel upmarket by buying a lot of the quality shows from the US, as well as the new step of funding a lot of high quality stuff themselves. For instance, Sky has shown Farscape's Peacekeeper wars over a year before it will go onto terrestrial, and shows programs like Enterprise, Stargate-SG1 and Atlantis before anyone else.

Due to scheduling differences, we get some things before anywhere else in the world. For instance, we just got the last two episodes of Stargate-SG1 series 8 before anyone else in the world, even though Sky started showing the series here after it began to air in the US.

11. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Yes, on Saturday, January 8th. It was shortened from four hours to three hours.

Universal HD showed it uncut.

Do you have HD TV?

If so, here's a useful link.

http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html

Edit: I'm speaking only of the two part miniseries, not season one, sorry.

12. RussSchultz

Veteran

Ahhh, right.

OK.

I keep watching it weekly on my front projector in crappy analog/SD and was going to kick myself if it was being shown in HD somewhere.

13. Alejux

Newcomer

I got all 1st season on Torrent. IMO, it's the best sci-fi series since B5.

14. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

I hear you Russ, I'm not at all thrilled at the quality of the sci-fi channel as provided by my cable company. Even for SD it's sub par.

I won't bore you with my rant on having to endure SD episodes of Enterprise.

I live in an apartment building and can't mount an antenna to grab the HD OTA broadcast.

My cable provider evidently can't use the broadcast either.

Lol, I guess I did rant a little.

15. Babel-17

Veteran Regular

Even a fan like me found the following hilarious.

They are recaps of the two part mini-series done "Television Without Pity" style. :D

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=145&story=5945&limit=&sort=

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=145&story=5953&limit=&sort=

A very small portion follows.

16. RussSchultz

Veteran

I sadly broke down and torrented the last 2 episodes (I justified it because the power went out Friday night).

I was only going to watch ep 12 and keep 13 around in case I missed it this Friday...but I couldnt' help myself.

And now....sigh. How long till season 2?

*sob*

edit: p.s. how did Starbuck know so and so was a cylon? Was it revealed to her in an exposition from lingerie lady? Or was that a bit of a plot hole?

17. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Starbuck had left the "original" back on the Galactica when she went AWOL on the president's mission, so the one she found back on Caprica with Helo *must* have been a Cylon copy, which shows they *both* are Cylons.

As for the new series, here are the details.

18. RussSchultz

Veteran

Aaaah, right. Duh! I was so used to seeing both I forgot about that.

19. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

^bump^

I have just finished watched S1 and it was facemeltingly awesome. Definitely check it out, it's a quality show.

Love the "shaky-cam" fight sequences.

20. silence

Regular

yap, i think you can find it there...at least i did....
    around here if you wanna watch SF shows, torretns are only option....

Andromeda was on for just one sesion and i dont see BSG anywhere close...not to mention that looking into torrents i saw shows i never heard of and they have like 3,4 or more sesions....

EDIT :: :oops: didnt read whole topic before answering...dumb.... :?