FREE Games List [2008-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought only the first campaign mission was free and for anything else you needed to purchase them. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they had to completely switch over to more F2P model to have revenue stream.

Yeah, I think it's F2P. The DLC may not be. You need to claim them separately.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/06/14/layers_fear_free_on_steam
The psychological horror game Layers of Fear is free for a limited time on Steam. No catch, click the button and it's yours forever. I've watched a few videos of it and it looks really good if you're into the genre.

Layers of Fear is a first-person psychedelic horror game with a heavy focus on story and exploration. Players take control of a painter whose sole purpose is to finish his Magnum Opus.

I played it, and I enjoyed the thrills. Intelligently done and nice to look at, though it's a bit basic. Definitely scary, if that's an issue.

The alpha version of Hyperspace Delivery Service is now available on itch.io at a name your own price point, which includes free
this throwback pixel-art space game includes both space- and ground-based combat. Word is: "Fight robot space pirates on the ground in retro FPS action. Fly through asteroid fields to rescue broken down ships. Experience thrilling space battles from the cockpit of your space ship in retro 3D space shooting action. Can you make it to Miridian V?"

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/f...eturnscuisine-royale-and-friday-the-13th.html

Two more to add to Shadow Returns.

Shadowrun Returns Deluxe (Humble Bundle)
The year is 2054. Magic has returned to the world, awakening powerful creatures of myth and legend. Technology merges with flesh and consciousness. Elves, trolls, orcs, and dwarves walk among us, while ruthless corporations bleed the world dry. You are a shadowrunner - a mercenary living on the fringes of society, in the shadows of massive corporate arcologies, surviving day-by-day on skill and instinct alone. When the powerful or the desperate need a job done, you get it done... by any means necessary. Just go to Humble bundle here, and add the game for free.

Cuisine Royale FREE Steam key
Cuisine Royale is an all-kitchen-warfare Battle Royale game with the most honest system for Loot Boxes ever. Originally an April Fool’s joke from developers of squad based MMO shooter Enlisted, Cuisine Royale was highly appreciated by players and is now released as a stand-alone title. The game will be free initially, but probably will become paid later to cover servers maintenance costs. Just install it on Steam while the game is free. After that, you get to keep it even if it becomes a paid game.

Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle + DLC
Stalk and slay campers across 100+ puzzle levels with horror icon Jason Voorhees! From the campgrounds of Crystal Lake to the highrises of Manhattan, from supermax prisons to snowy ski resorts, Jason will terrorize victims across the world (and maybe even beyond). Just add it on Steam. For a limited time, additional DLC items will be yours to keep, for free.

Square Enix has just released the free prequel to Life is Strange 2, called The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit.
while this is a free game, Square Enix has implemented the controversial Denuvo anti-tamper tech. Because… you know… apparently the publisher does not want anyone to pirate this free game. It doesn’t make any sense but hey, this is Square Enix we’re talking about.

Square Enix has just released the free prequel to Life is Strange 2, called The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit.
while this is a free game, Square Enix has implemented the controversial Denuvo anti-tamper tech. Because… you know… apparently the publisher does not want anyone to pirate this free game. It doesn’t make any sense but hey, this is Square Enix we’re talking about.

I bet there are hackers already working on a crack for this free game.
It's like The Witcher 3, when it was released DRM free on GOG, and few days later there were pirated copies on the torrent site, guess which version was uploaded? DRM locked and of course cracked because why not :)

I bet there are hackers already working on a crack for this free game.
It's like The Witcher 3, when it was released DRM free on GOG, and few days later there were pirated copies on the torrent site, guess which version was uploaded? DRM locked and of course cracked because why not :)

Both versions actually. :) However, what is interesting for those that don't know about the cracking scene is that the major cracking groups...
  • Do not release their cracked games to the public. It's only meant for the cracking scene.
    • They still get leaked to the general public, but it's not the cracking teams intent to release to the general public.
  • Cracking games is for bragging rights, not to distribute pirated games to the public.
  • There's a lot of distro rules for cracked games based on this one-upsmanship competition between the major cracking groups.
  • Hence, groups that are part of the scene look down upon and are quick to call out other groups that use emulation (like emulating Steam) rather than actually cracking the game to bypass copy protection.
    • This is why Chinese groups were often derided as they didn't crack the game so much as provide DRM emulation.
It's a fascinating microcosm. I used to know some people that were part of a cracking group back in the 90's. One of them got ejected from the group when they learned that he distributed the cracked game to a public site for general download.

That said, pirating groups that aren't part of the cracking scene primarily release the GoG versions of games.

Regards,
SB

I'm starting to understand why they raised the price of Amazon Prime. These are the free games we're getting this month:

0*-gIq9E9ESJ9vINIj

Edit: Easy link, posted as code so it doesn't get transformed into an inline twitch vid:
Code:
https://www.twitch.tv/prime

Last edited:
Not sure if any of those that havent already been free as part of Xbox Gold or Game Pass or PSN+ are entirely worth it picking up for the PC. They should at least provide a few minutes of entertainment.

Not sure if any of those that havent already been free as part of Xbox Gold or Game Pass or PSN+ are entirely worth it picking up for the PC. They should at least provide a few minutes of entertainment.

I remember pretty much all of these from PSN already, but they were all pretty unmemorable imo. The reason they raised Prime membership fees is because they can (and to offset increased shipping prices due to gas prices / third-party delivery fees).

I was joking, but I'm sure Prime Video contributes more to the price hike than games. I'd imagine he percentage of Prime members who claim these games is pretty low.

As for the games, I don't think Pillars (Definitive!), Observer, Tacoma, Red Strings Club, or Tyranny have been console freebies. Not all of them have made it to a Humble Bundle, either. (Tyranny is part of Origin Access.) They alone would make for a strong Humble Monthly.

I was joking, but I'm sure Prime Video contributes more to the price hike than games. I'd imagine he percentage of Prime members who claim these games is pretty low.

Yup, from what I've heard people taking advantage of Twitch Prime is a very small fraction of total Amazon Prime users. We're talking single digit percentages.

It has been steadily growing though. Amazon is putting a lot of their advertising towards getting people to be aware of Twitch. Twitch Prime was just the first step to try to get more people to use Twitch.

It's also been key in preventing Streamers from leaving for other platforms as just mentioning Twitch Prime on their stream often gets them hundreds of subs a month as kids go and ask their parents if they can link their account to Twitch and then use the free monthly subs on their favorite channels. That free income is hard to give up if you want to try a competing platform, like Mixer.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back