Frame "hiccups"

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Quitch, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Quitch

Veteran

I've started to run into an annoying issue, encountered during Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, a sort of "hiccup". Actually, a dropped frame might be more accurate and I used to see it in Half-Life 2 sometimes as well. You'd be running in a straight line but every so often it would seem to skip a frame and ruin the smooth effect.

I'm running a Core 2 Duo 3.33Ghz process, 8GB RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 5870 on Windows 7 64-bit powered by a Zalman ZM1000-HP. I've had this problem with multiple iterations of the 10.x drivers (I don't recall before then whether I had it or not). It seems to be more common than it was, or perhaps it's because I'm in more 1st and 3rd person games right now, though I don't recall experiencing it at the beginning of the year when I was first playing ME and ME2.

Is this a software issue? A GPU issue? A PSU issue?

2. IRQ Conflict

PSU? No. I tend to think it's more hard drive access from your post. Possible memory leak and or driver implementation. Very hard to figure out.

I get great performance in The Witcher. However, if I constantly save/load it will stutter like crazy necessitating a reboot of the game. I have several games that do this.

I'm a PC fanboy so I tend to blame consoles for my woes.

3. Tamlin

Newcomer

Could be many other things also, like harddrive or virus killer (or some other program) kicking in sometimes.

If you are looking for optimal smoothness, i would recommend you try RadeonPro. It gives you easy options to alter frames to render ahead, vsync and much more:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=322031

edit: I see IRQ Conflict was a bit faster. :p

4. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I assume you are using vsync?

At least for the Mass Effects you can set an FPS cap in the config file. Set it to be a bit lower than your monitor's refresh rate and this may solve your problem.

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Have your computer stand on its head and drink from the far side of a glass of water. :yep2:

6. Davros

Legend

since you have 8gb try creating a 1 or 2 gig ram drive and putting your swap file on it

of course if you had 20gb you could run the whole game from one

7. flynn

Regular

What kind of prehistoric VM subsystem does Windows have that makes that useful/necessary?

8. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I think I know what he's talking about, and it's not caused by HDD accessing. I don't know what it's caused by, but I've experienced it in a few games and the only way to fix it other than disabling vsync is to set a FPS cap below the refresh rate.

9. Davros

Legend

windows will always use the swap file no matter how much ram is available and why not, do many programs use more than 6gb ram

10. Chris123234

Regular

If it's what I think it is, its a random stutter that occurs when it simply shouldn't be. Even on a game you know should be easy for the system. Used to drive me nuts and distract the hell out of me when I just wanted to be immersed, but luckily hasn't happened in a while. I've also had problems with .mkv files getting super artifact ridden during playback. Pretty sure my hardware is just cursed.