Foundation (Apple+)

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
So, it's a TV Series since it's on AppleTV Plus?

{ have not watched trailer video }

oh, unfortunately never read any Asimov novels. Looking forward to seeing this one.

So, it's a TV Series since it's on AppleTV Plus?

{ have not watched trailer video }

Yes.

oh, unfortunately never read any Asimov novels. Looking forward to seeing this one.

I recommend reading the first book of the foundation trilogy, it's short and you can read it in week.

After watching the teaser a couple of times looks like they are departing from what Asimov envisioned.They are taking a huge risk. It's not a book that is easy to adapt to a TV series.

A slavish adaption to the plot would be poor. I'd love for it to be a great telling of the book's ideas. David Goyer though, so the chance of it being that is slim.

Jared Harris as Seldon will be good value though. He's awesome in everything.

Also, we haven't has a modern series or movie that's a serious look at the far future. But then Goyer mentions Star Wars. /Sigh.

Oh my!
I actually haven't read much of the series & that a loooong time ago so I don't even remember anything much about it :-?
But very exciting :!:

Must be over 35 years since I read Foundation and I have absolutely no recollection about the story at all! Won't be seeing it on Apple+, so I'll have to remain ignorant.

Ooh, my childhood dream.
Along with THHGTTG movie.
Of course, back then I didn't understand how infinitely improbable it would be to make them in a non-disappointing way.

Sort of interesting how all these big fantasy series are coming back. Curious to see what else they have considered. I never read a Wheel of Time, but that's one is long and done. Not sure if it would be a good fit.

I think a lot of Brandon Sanderson's completed work would also be a good fit.

Sort of interesting how all these big fantasy series are coming back. Curious to see what else they have considered. I never read a Wheel of Time, but that's one is long and done. Not sure if it would be a good fit.

Wheel of Time, a LOTR spinoff and an Iain M Banks series are all coming to Amazon. Very excited about the latter. Proper spaceships!

Last edited:
I loved the books. However i don't own any apple products so I don't know how i'd be able to watch this. Let me know if its good as maybe I can just use an old iPhone my sister used to use for work

I would like to see Contact series.
The movie version was incomplete and not satisfying...

While I think a lot of Asimov's work needs a lot of adaptation, almost all of Clarke's novels feel ready for filming. Childhood's end was good, and way back I felt The City and the Stars might work for example. And Rendezvous with Rama.

The City and the Stars would be a dream, though I suspect the youth response to watching it would be: Yeh, they have the internet & VR, so what?
Rama could make a good multi-season series I think.

The Culture one is supposed to be Consider Phlebas, super exciting but from what I read there's been basically no news on it for a long time -> seems its not going anywhere :(

The City and the Stars would be a dream, though I suspect the youth response to watching it would be: Yeh, they have the internet & VR, so what?
Rama could make a good multi-season series I think.

My thoughts as well.
Not that they could ever be billion dollar summer movies anyway, but perfect material for smaller scale productions targeted for actual SF aficionados.
Had they been done on film in the 70s/80s with proper vision and resources, they could have turned out as huge milestones in popular culture. 2001 of course is the monolithic milestone achievement of all time, even in a way which might have discouraged further attempts for a while, being so incredibly good in many ways and so hard to grasp for many viewers. Star Wars was so much easier to like for everyone after that...

Back