Forza Horizon 4 [XO, XBSX|S, XPA]

Last edited by a moderator:
Switch to driving a Ford Mustang, they're all bark and no bite. :LOL:

Switch to driving a Ford Mustang, they're all bark and no bite. :LOL:

Not enough money hahaha.

Btw turns out the lack of low frequency was not only in the car sound but in everything except radio song.

Drive on gravel, bumps, etc are lacking low frequency sounds.

Driveclub sound model is waaaay better.

But which is more accurate? I'm sure more prefer the loud bass feeling when that's rarely the way it is in life.

Just crank the subwoofer? The only music track you need is the LEGO channel.

tumblr_n7hodmapg41qjihk3o2_250.gif

Now that's a true artist.

Tommy McClain

had tried the F1 19 demo, but though cars sounded like poop, but real ones now sound like that, then i saw a video of classic cars, and that was so much better

But which is more accurate? I'm sure more prefer the loud bass feeling when that's rarely the way it is in life.
In real life, at low rpm, normal cars have low freq sound. Low freq sound also when you drive on gravel or to bumps on roads.

I have never driven a sports car so dunno.

In real life, at low rpm, normal cars have low freq sound. Low freq sound also when you drive on gravel or to bumps on roads.

A lot of people are associating the sound they hear when the car drives by with what the car sounds like when inside driving it. So with this being a video game where you are driving the car, should the audio be from the internal compartment or from the external observer not driving?

Sounds like you need the standard road packaging reapplied to your car (pun intended). When you're inside the car, newer muscle cars are extremely quiet compared to older models. Unless you're driving with the T-Tops off, Convertible Top down, or all windows completely down and driving through a tunnel while gassing it, it won't sound like how you want it to sound -- all bass-y.

A lot of people are associating the sound they hear when the car drives by with what the car sounds like when inside driving it. So with this being a video game where you are driving the car, should the audio be from the internal compartment or from the external observer not driving?

Sounds like you need the standard road packaging reapplied to your car (pun intended). When you're inside the car, newer muscle cars are extremely quiet compared to older models. Unless you're driving with the T-Tops off, Convertible Top down, or all windows completely down and driving through a tunnel while gassing it, it won't sound like how you want it to sound -- all bass-y.

I think I incorrectly associated engine sound with the whole car sound.

Just driven a car again, and yep you are right. The engine sound is not loud. But when it does roar, it's not throaty, when pressing the pedal deep.

The road texture (bumps, rigid pavement, etc) actually sounds louder than the engine when the engine just coasting on a flat road.

To me Driveclub sounds the best, the engine roar, and the road texture sound.

Tomorrow I'll try a brand new Toyota rush, instead of an old Honda mobilio. Dunno what those cars are named in other regions (e.g. Nissan March in Indonesia become Nissan micra in Netherlands)

I have never driven a sports car so dunno.

Also depends on the car and how well built it is WRT sound isolation. My 2013 Ford Focus doesn't get a lot of noise in the cabin even over dirt and gravel (the road to the family ranch) but my old 1997 Honda Civic LX let in a lot more noise, including engine noise, studded tire noise, barking dog noises, lawnmower sounds, etc.

The dual clutch automatic transmission in my Focus might be utter trash, but the sound isolation in the cabin is closer to a low to mid tier luxury car than it is to other cars in its price segment at the time I bought it.

In fact, the sound isolation of the cabin in the Focus is so good that for the Focus ST, they have to artificially generate engine noise in the cabin to go with the Hot Hatch vibe.

Heck just comparing cabin noises in various heavy duty trucks we've had on the ranch over the years, there's a huge progression in cabin noise reduction with each new generation. The ones from the 70's let in a LOT more engine and road noise than ones made in the 90's which in turn let in more engine noise and road noise than current generation trucks. But if you are outside the vehicle, engine noise hasn't gone down that much when the engine is revved up (not at idle).

OTOH - sports car noises have generally changed quite significantly with most sports cars having smaller engine displacement combined with less cylinders. Instead opting to get power from turbochargers. That in itself makes for a much quieter engine when accelerating to speed. So instead of the throaty roar of the old V8's, you'll get a more muted roar accompanied by the whoosh of the turbocharger(s).

And then on top of that, games in general like to over-emphasize sounds. Realistic sounds aren't nearly as important as bass heavy sounds with "impact." That applies to most driving games as well as most shooters.

That's one of my pet peeves, is too much bass in some games that distorts how things sound in real life.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
And then there are electric cars with no engine noise atall. I'm always startled when we're on our walks outside at work and one of the electrics drives by, the car just comes up out of nowhere. So many Tesla's and Fords in this area.

And then there are electric cars with no engine noise atall. I'm always startled when we're on our walks outside at work and one of the electrics drives by, the car just comes up out of nowhere. So many Tesla's and Fords in this area.

ERZmwK.gif

They should get this guy to record sounds for electric cars & the automatically play when pedestrians are nearby. I'd get it for the Cybertruck. :D

Tommy McClain

playing this on PC, awesome as usual. But why the cars sounds so "throaty"?

There's so little "oomph" or "roar" in the low frequency. Project CARS have more "oomph" or "roar", not to mention need for speed series with super roary cars. Hmm, DRIVECLUB cars also have good "oomph" but its on PS4 so the audio solution could be different/

Turns out I'm not alone https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...Engine-Sounds--see-post--27.aspx#post_1142415

darn, you have a fast connection. Since the instant you said you had joined gamepass PC you downloaded the game in a jiffy. It took me a bit more time. Play FH4 with HDR on if you ever consider getting a HDR monitor.

It's awesome as it is. With HDR though it's night and day.

darn, you have a fast connection. Since the instant you said you had joined gamepass PC you downloaded the game in a jiffy. It took me a bit more time. Play FH4 with HDR on if you ever consider getting a HDR monitor.

It's awesome as it is. With HDR though it's night and day.

I only have a crappy TCL TV with no local dimming and have crappy HDR (Destiny 2 looks super washed out) hahaha. Btw turns out gamepass also have rise of tomb raider. and, i already bought it on steam.

I only have a crappy TCL TV with no local dimming and have crappy HDR (Destiny 2 looks super washed out) hahaha. Btw turns out gamepass also have rise of tomb raider. and, i already bought it on steam.
you can live without it, trust me, but HDR is a beautiful effect to have.

never been much into Forza Horizon, but I'm delighted with this one.

I set the graphics to High -ultra me goes down to 90fps and I prefer the framerate- 1440p to have the most fps possible, and average between 120-140fps.

I think that gives some advantage, because I am a newbie and every game I've played I've won for a few seconds people on my friends list.

I traveled to Edinburgh. It brought back memories of one of the best tracks from one of the best Xbox games ever - Project Gotham Racing 2 -. such a:cry::| nostalgia

I think that gives some advantage, because I am a newbie and every game I've played I've won for a few seconds people on my friends list.

the drivatar is scalable. If you keep winning, the game at some point will say something like "hey you, yeah you, we've noticed that you've been winning rather easily, would you like to scale the drivatar difficulty up?"

btw my 1660S already struggling to maintain 4K 60fps hahaha. Really love the 4xMSAA tho.

Back