Forza Horizon 4 [XO, XBSX|S, XPA]

Because base Xbone isn't 60fps. Otherwise it would sacrifice environment detail much like mainline Forza games.
That's a seemingly arbitrary & superficial definition when there are fundamental differences at the engine level that need to be taken into consideration in order to hit a higher update rate.

Disagree, but I won't delve more into comparisons :).
don't confuse
'level of detail near and far is unsurpassed'
as being near or far.
I'm talking about Near _ and _ Far at the same time. And from at least what I'm discussing you need to separate what details are from lighting and shadows.

I don't know man, FH4's lighting still looks kinda flat and plastic like, I can easily tell it apart from real life.
Just look at any of the vegetation, esp the movement. Its not even in the top 10 Xbox titles
and yes the lighting does look flat (yes diff times of day but still)
forza.jpg

That's a seemingly arbitrary & superficial definition when there are fundamental differences at the engine level that need to be taken into consideration in order to hit a higher update rate.
If that's the case then why isn't XBone version 60fps since the fundamental has changed? Wouldn't that also benefit the base console too? Maybe at 720p with a patch later on which I can believe.

Just look at any of the vegetation, esp the movement. Its not even in the top 10 Xbox titles
and yes the lighting does look flat (yes diff times of day but still)
forza.jpg
Yeah it's mainly the flat lighting, no dynamic GI for a changing TOD or weather system that pulls it far away from reality. Not sure why people are super impressed by the comparison vid.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's the case then why isn't XBone version 60fps since the fundamental has changed? Wouldn't that also benefit the base console too? Maybe at 720p with a patch later on which I can believe.

Yeah it's mainly the flat lighting, no dynamic GI for a changing TOD or weather system that pulls it far away from reality. Not sure why people are super impressed by the comparison vid.

Game has dynamic GI from FH3. It uses real time vowel GI. I don’t see any flat lighting from the gameplays shown. No idea where you get that many others disagree

Last edited:
is this a game?

Looks nice but I agree that it looks kinda flat when compared against real life :)

The one thing every scene lacks in that video is contrast, my best guess is that they are doing that to avoid lots of specular/high contrast aliasing. But the game looks gorgeous regardless so w/e ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
There was a really fantastic blog post done by an artist (not an artist, dev with overlapping knowledge of cameras, luts, color grading) explaining why most videogames looked terrible for being too contrasty, and Forza was given as one of the examples of what videogames should look like, in terms of contrast. Wish I could find it. It was very well written. Battlefield 1 was given as an example of terrible.

Found it:

https://ventspace.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/games-look-bad-part-1-hdr-and-tone-mapping/

Last edited:
Game has dynamic GI from FH3. It uses real time vowel GI. I don’t see any flat lighting from the gameplays shown. No idea where you get that many others disagree
Some scenes work better than others obviously, but compared to real life it's definitely lacking those bounces especially in day time cottage comparison. The vowel GI used in here is not very effective from what I can see. That said it's still a pretty game regardless, Horizon on nextgen Xbox should look amazing if they ramp up the lighting.

Some scenes work better than others obviously, but compared to real life it's definitely lacking those bounces especially in day time cottage comparison. The vowel GI used in here is not very effective from what I can see. That said it's still a pretty game regardless, Horizon on nextgen Xbox should look amazing if they ramp up the lighting.

I don't see that at all. Especially since the cottage footage the sun is in a completely different angle which would make the shaded area more darker as the sun is more directly above to there wouldn't be a bounce as much. Anyways game looks insane how much better they got over FH3. Didn't think it would of been possible.

Here's another angle of the cottage in a different lighting condition

ModEdit: borken lunks, merged fixed post

Weird mod please delete the broken images

Cottage below shows another lighting condition with different angle sun

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the UI/Menus are much more streamlined. Quick travelling between festivals shouldn't require me to manually drag the map/cursor; it should be a button press to instantly switch between them, and then decide if I want to go there.

Also, they need to have the ability to choose the DLC expansion from the main menu. In FH3, it's
  1. load game
  2. drive/quick travel to Expansion location
  3. launch Expansion
Which is just utter nonsense. It should just be one step from the main menu just like the Rally Expansion in FH1.

Also, being able to switch cars anywhere in the map should be an option (no garage options for obvious reasons). I find myself not wanting to explore the map if I have to go all the way back to one of the festivals just to change the car, then quick travel back to where I used to be. There's no reason for those series of steps. The other cute thing would be to have a road-side assistance crew ready to change out my wheels with rally tires etc. if I want to. Again, I don't want to bloody go all the way back to the garage location on a gigantic ass map, go into the garage menu, go through the tire options, change, accept, back out, go back to the main map etc. just to do a simple thing as such.

Also, they need a clearer and faster way to do the Forzathon events that require specific cars for specific races. I don't want to search all the races on the map just to find which event allows the particular cartype.

I want there to be a Hot Wheels mode for all of the FH4 area, not just a separate DLC map for it.

I hope the UI/Menus are much more streamlined. Quick travelling between festivals shouldn't require me to manually drag the map/cursor; it should be a button press to instantly switch between them, and then decide if I want to go there.

Also, they need to have the ability to choose the DLC expansion from the main menu. In FH3, it's
  1. load game
  2. drive/quick travel to Expansion location
  3. launch Expansion
Which is just utter nonsense. It should just be one step from the main menu just like the Rally Expansion in FH1.

Also, being able to switch cars anywhere in the map should be an option (no garage options for obvious reasons). I find myself not wanting to explore the map if I have to go all the way back to one of the festivals just to change the car, then quick travel back to where I used to be. There's no reason for those series of steps. The other cute thing would be to have a road-side assistance crew ready to change out my wheels with rally tires etc. if I want to. Again, I don't want to bloody go all the way back to the garage location on a gigantic ass map, go into the garage menu, go through the tire options, change, accept, back out, go back to the main map etc. just to do a simple thing as such.

Also, they need a clearer and faster way to do the Forzathon events that require specific cars for specific races. I don't want to search all the races on the map just to find which event allows the particular cartype.

The Horizon games are a weird blend of realism and non-realism. I think they did that in FH3 to try to have a realistic-ish way of doing car switches, etc.

That's attractive to some people but not to others.

On the one hand I heard people complain that it isn't realistic to drive an exotic supercar offroad, and I expect those types of people also like having to travel to a garage of some sort in order to switch cars, change tires, etc. In other words, they would have more to complain about if you could change vehicles on the fly.

On the other hand, I heard people that go gaga over being able to go offroad with any car, and I expect those people to be less tolerant of realistic contrivances in a game that doesn't strictly adhere to realism.

I don't know that there's a right or wrong way to do it. You're likely to piss some people off no matter which direction you choose to go.

That said, I think Forza Horizon definitely leans towards stretching the boundaries of adhering to a realistic driving experience (Hot Wheels expansion, anyone? :D) and things like switching cars in the middle of nowhere, while it might grievously offend some would probably be the right way to go. Hell, if you can drive an exotic supercar offroad (something that is just not possible in real life), why not have car switching anywhere?

Regards,
SB

That said, I think Forza Horizon definitely leans towards stretching the boundaries of adhering to a realistic driving experience (Hot Wheels expansion, anyone? :D) and things like switching cars in the middle of nowhere, while it might grievously offend some would probably be the right way to go. Hell, if you can drive an exotic supercar offroad (something that is just not possible in real life), why not have car switching anywhere?

Regards,
SB
They're silly if they're whining about the option of switching anywhere. At the end of the day, I'm playing a video game in some fictional place.

Having to drive for anything was a design's choice that I've appreciated
It was novel the first time (intro sequence), but it's irritating on subsequent playthroughs. I spend too much time on loading screens than getting right into the game/specific DLC.

By that token, the fast travel shouldn't even exist then, which would be awful, and if fast travel is there, then why shouldn't loading DLC expansions also be doable from the main menu if that's where I want to go first when I load up the game? They can still keep the portal locations in-game, but again, the fast travel to festivals/dlc should be handled like a list of locations as opposed to scrolling over the entire map just to do the fast travel.

Last edited:
Back