Forum emails

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Getting Jawed back recently reminded me that the forum hasn't be able to send emails for many months, and possibly over a year (I'm embarassed to check). Password reminders among other things just haven't been going out. It broke because I moved the site to a new email platform ages ago, and asked the forums to send through it, to reduce load on the webserver and separate concerns.

That appeared to work fine and I thought nothing of it, but there's buggy code inside vBulletin that's responsible for sending email, and on top of that it didn't support SSL auth properly. So I spent some time tonight, Ghu only knows why, debugging that and patching vB so it'll work.

That means the forums can now hopefully communicate properly with the outside world via email, so things like daily digests of forum activity and things will probably start to be sent again.

Anyway, let me know if you have any problems with the receipt of email from the forums (all communications come from a user called b3dforum@beyond3d.com, not me or any other staff member) and I'll look into it.

The password I had got lost (I never remember the password for this or any other forum) and I couldn't retrieve it by getting the forum software to email me.

Hmmm.... Have you now fixed the email system and does that have something to do with the sudden influx of spammers?

I think it's made it easier for them to register, yes. I'll work on it ASAP.

Now that emailing is working, maybe we can get some consolidation of forums going too? Coz there's way too many of them right now, and have been for a LONG time. They're overlapping each other and interesting posts are getting lost because they get overlooked due to redundant forums that aren't checked regularly by the majority of forum-goers.

I'd seriously appreciate some effort in this regard. :)

Now that emailing is working, maybe we can get some consolidation of forums going too? Coz there's way too many of them right now, and have been for a LONG time. They're overlapping each other and interesting posts are getting lost because they get overlooked due to redundant forums that aren't checked regularly by the majority of forum-goers.

Please add a fusion forum. :yep2:

There's a thread about this, put the suggestions in there please, it's where we'll look first when we start work on the forum.

You mean we don't need a whole forum for Cell performance?

There's a thread about this, put the suggestions in there please, it's where we'll look first when we start work on the forum.
I put suggestions there, in that thread, over a year and a half ago probably and it was promptly ignored, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to post a reminder.

Back