Forum Client software for Mobiles

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
I noticed that there is a new trend which allows you to install a plugin to for instance vBulletin that allows for instance an application on a mobile device (like the iPhone) to read and post to the forum. This is something which I've always been interested in, even for developing a desktop client (but mobile is an even bigger win), and some of them look rather good - so far the one I like best is called Forum Runner, and the site setup bit can be done here:

http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=register

A view of the client can be found here:

http://www.forumrunner.net/?p=index (just hover over the various feature links to get screenshots of the iPhone app). It can even send push notifications for new posts in threads and stuff, if you want.

I understand if this is too much of an effort to support, but hey, I can always try! Would really love it.

Looks great, and I'm happy to give it a try. Will do it along with some forum maintenance this week (tonight if the stars align and I've got more than an hour to myself).

Done, B3D should show up in the Forum Runner client now. I've had a quick poke around and it seems very nice, good find. I had planned something similar (iPhone-specific B3D client) which I'll still work on, but for now it's a nice stop gap.

Hey, awesome, that was quick! :) I'm posting this thank you note from the iPhone already!

Thanks for the heads up. We went ahead and set it up on our forums too. This seems to be pretty nice. :)

Hey guys, I'm the developer of Forum Runner. Just wanted to say thanks for installing it, and also let you know that you might see some issues with Push notification sending weird notes instead of the actual text you would expect when you get updates.

This is fixed in 1.1.2 version which I submitted to Apple a few days ago - their review process is somewhat lengthy.

If you find any other issues or have any suggestions, shoot on over to http://www.forumrunner.net/support and post them up!

Thanks again for installing it, hope it works out well for your users!

Hey Clemson,

It's a fantastic piece of software (both iPhone client and plugin), thanks for creating it. For plugin patches that forum owners/developers might have, do you want those via email or your forums or some other mechanism?

The software license doesn't mention modifications and I guess you want to manage those closely since they could affect the client operation.

Great stuff!

My last post isn't showing up in this thread (weird). It said it needed to be approved by a mod previously.

Anyway, with respect to the forum plugin updates, that is something I haven't really decided yet. I don't want to be annoying and spam the list of admin emails with release notifications (if you opted in for contact e-mails at registration), but vBulletin doesn't really provide a good way of notifying admins their products are out of date.

There is a "version check" built into the product infrastructure, but it requires the admin to proactively go in and select "Check Version" in the Produt Manager. Who's going to remember to do that? Haha.

Thanks for the comments though! I've spent about 4 months working on this project. Pass the word around to any other forum owners you know that run vBulletin. I expect to have a few growing pains since these are the first versions of the plugin/client software out, so I would check back regularly for updates.

I just set up a vbulletin version checker, so if you go into the Product Manager, select Forum Runner->Edit, then under "Version Check URL" enter "http://www.forumrunner.net/versioncheck.php" and save, you can then choose Forum Runner->Check Version to see if you're running the latest version.

Also, if you really like the client, can you go into itunes and leave a review? It definitely helps out in the long run!

Very nice, I was browsing on my phone and a message came up telling me about forum runner support.
Posted this from the software, hope more sites join.

Great. Glad you guys like it. I still can't see my posts (apparently you can?)

Like I said, I definitely want to improve the app, so any suggestions you have, let me know!

Eep, there is the post now. I guess the other two didn't make it through moderation.

Anyway, thanks for the praise of Forum Runner - if you guys really like it, please go into iTunes and leave a review for it - it definitely helps.

I'm waiting for version 1.1.2 to be approved (with a few major bugfixes) before I officially release the addon on vbulletin.com, etc. But until then feel free to spread the word to other forums you are on.

Also, if you are receiving push messages that seem like garbage, that is fixed in 1.1.2, so be sure to get the update when it comes out (hopefully soon!).

Thanks again! Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Great. Glad you guys like it. I still can't see my posts (apparently you can?)

Like I said, I definitely want to improve the app, so any suggestions you have, let me know!

Congrats on a great app. The biggest thing I'm missing right now is a 'New Posts' button. That's the default way that I browse most forums!

Also, I haven't been able to figure out yet how to place Beyond3D on the opening screen of Forum Browser?

EDIT: what part of a post is a quote could also be a little bit clearer I think. Right now you can't see where the quote ends, and the actual new content begins.

well, I can't log to B3d from my I phone no more, if you do not buy and install the app you can't access the forum at all !

well, I can't log to B3d from my I phone no more, if you do not buy and install the app you can't access the forum at all !

Really? I don't have that problem. All that is new in that regard is that I got a message on the iPhone when I access this forum that alerts me of the existance of the forum runner software once, but then I can continue as normal.

EDIT: and that warning only appears once it seems. I logged out, and logged back in, but no issues. I made screenshots to prove it. ;)

Maybe you can be more specific what kind of problem you have, to help people troubleshoot?

That shouldn't be the case. You should get a popup once and if you click "No" or "Cancel", it sets a cookie that tells the popup to display no more.

Do you have cookies enabled in Safari on your iPhone?

What exactly is happening?

Congrats on a great app. The biggest thing I'm missing right now is a 'New Posts' button. That's the default way that I browse most forums!

New Posts = Current Tab. Or does your New Posts on this site do something different than what Current does?

arwin said:
Also, I haven't been able to figure out yet how to place Beyond3D on the opening screen of Forum Browser?

You aren't the first person to ask this quesiton. I should move this somewhere else more prominent. To make it a favorite, you need to click on 'Profile' tab, then click on the heart in the upper right corner to make the forum a favorite.

Arwin said:
EDIT: what part of a post is a quote could also be a little bit clearer I think. Right now you can't see where the quote ends, and the actual new content begins.

Hmm you mean in the post reply screen if you quoted someone? It shows the
and [/qoute] tags like vBulletin does when you reply. Or are you talking about something else?

Thanks again!

ClemsonJeeper said:
New Posts = Current Tab. Or does your New Posts on this site do something different than what Current does?

Yeah, it presents the Threads quite differently. Maybe you could try the New Posts button here and see for yourself?

You aren't the first person to ask this quesiton. I should move this somewhere else more prominent. To make it a favorite, you need to click on 'Profile' tab, then click on the heart in the upper right corner to make the forum a favorite.

Ok I found it thanks. Yeah it should probably be a star button in the forums list view

Hmm you mean in the post reply screen if you quoted someone? It shows the

No, I mean just when viewing. There's just a few empty lines separating the quote from the answer

And if the quote doesn't have an author specified there is nothing at all distinguishing quote from reply ... Even just Italics or a different color would help if a border is too much work ...

And if the quote doesn't have an author specified there is nothing at all distinguishing quote from reply ... Even just Italics or a different color would help if a border is too much work ...

Ohhh. I know what you are talking about. A side effect of the server code being newer than the Apple approved binary. Once 1.1.2 gets approved by Apple I assure you things like this won't happen again. I wanted to get the newest server software installed on forums when 1.1.2 drops. In the future, I won't release new server software until the client is actually approved.

You can see how *I* see the world in:

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/~hitman/quote.png

(hopefully the URL shows up!)

I'll take a look at the New Posts and see what the differences are.

Back