Fortnite by Epic Games [PC Edition]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Richard, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

We know this. Because Epic plays fast and loose with these things here it is in full:

With the cancelling of Gears of War: Exile (a Kinect title), relations between Epic and MS might have cooled a bit.

[troll]back in 2008 CliffyB said "I think the PC is just in disarray. What’s driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and World of Warcraft and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface. The PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing. It’s important for us, but right now making triple A games on consoles is where we’re at.” so, Epic is bringing us an MMO or SimGears[/troll]

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I think they are looking for something to showcase UE4. That can't currently be done on consoles.

Once that mission is accomplished, I'm willing to bet they go right back to console first developement.

Regards,
    SB

3. suryad

Veteran

I am in agreement with SB on this one.

4. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

How far we've come. Every time I see a comment from someone at Epic about how they are really interested in PC titles, I always mentally insert the words "Father Of Lies" between that person's first name and last name.

Which developer was it saying last year about how the PC is where it's at? It's the vanguard for games, it's where all the tech and ideas come from to trickle-down to the consoles. I know it wasn't anyone at Epic.

So while Epic may want to show off a next-gen UE4 title on the PC in order to sell it as middleware to the console market, they will not be well received unless they go back to their roots. By that I mean the days when they designed games for the PC as best they could, polished them until they shined, and then supported them properly.

If they do what they did with UT3, and design a cross platform title where their PC game was limited left right and centre by what Epic wanted to promote on the consoles, then it won't sell, just as UT3 didn't.

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Its not a true exclusive it will be launch year for both ps4 and xbox next. The pc will get it first thats what my understanding of the situation is.

6. joker454

Veteran

Yup, sounds about right to me.

7. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I'm sure it's a new Jill of the Jungle, right? For UE4. Awesome.

8. Npl

Npl
    Veteran

Well, it will be exclusive in the current gen landscape? :lol:
    I`d love a true successor to UT2004 - bright, colorful and not abused for showing off new engine effects. Not holding my breath tho.
    PC is a lousy scratchpad for experiments and failed ideas, consoles is where ideas and tech take the form of art :runaway:

9. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Yep it's most likely just something to sell UE4 on the consoles and yes, the next gen machines will likely get an enhanced version which will piss all the PC gamers off but I'm still looking forward to it if it turns out to be something interesting.

I'll be a lot more excited if they finally decide to release Gears 2 and 3 on the PC. That would certainly buy them a lot of good will with the PC community ahead of this new game (to say nothing of the profit).

10. suryad

Veteran

Going on what you are saying pjbliverpool, Gears 2 and 3 with the UE4 tech would be perfect on PC! You hear that Epic?!?!

11. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Sure they'd just need to convince MS to publish it as I doubt Epic owns the rights.

12. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Epic owns the Gears IP, but then I don't know what they'd have to do with the multiplayer/co-op side since the sequels have become so heavily tied into the XBL service, assuming they want to self-publish ala Alan Wake. Epic may be allowed to put out a PC version, but then maybe won't have the backing for publishing or additional funding to spend time reworking the multiplayer side (then additional PC QA)? In the end, it may not even be worth Epic's time at this point. :p

At least Alan Wake only had the SP to worry about.

13. joker454

Veteran

Could be a good poster child for a Windows 8 game that works with XBLive, assuming Win8 does have full XBLive functionality.

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Mmmm, a tesselated Jill of the Jungle with cloth and soft body physics... DO IT EPIC! :D

Regards,
    SB

15. Jedi2016

Veteran

I could live with that. The first thing I thought when I read the news was "I bet it's UE4..."

16. Trawler

Regular

A new instalment of Unreal Tournament would be nice.

17. N_B

N_B
    Regular

Unreal Tournament 4, F2P, UE4.

18. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

...for Facebook.

19. hoho

Veteran

... in Flash!

20. itsmydamnation