Formula 1 - 2021 Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kaotik, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Freemantle

Newcomer

Yeah that is pretty interesting, was Bottas using that wing when he got pole?

Although it really shouldn't come as a surprise if the seven time world champ who is the teams leading point scorer gets the nod on upgrades, if that is indeed the case... again given that Bottas was quicker on Saturday.

Lightman likes this.
  2. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

can bottas do a rosberg? doesnt look like it

rbr has to step up and max needs to stop making mistakes at crucial moments

3. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Pretty good article on Lewis at Wired.com: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lewis-hamilton

The most interesting bit, at least to me:
    Bonus: Gary Anderson on The-Race’s podcast answering Qs (in Youtube video form).

Lightman, Silent_Buddha and pharma like this.
  4. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Grosjeans F1 career is over at least for now, but looks like he's getting to fill one of his dreams of driving Mercedes F1 one day.

Pete and Lightman like this.
  5. Bludd

Veteran

yeah hope they allow him to wring its neck

mazepin prepared to get into f1 by privately testing a lot in older merc f1s, dont think that was very smart getting used to a much superior car

entity279 and Pete like this.
  6. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran Subscriber

Driver of the Day 2021 | Formula 1®

Mazepin on 4? For blocking HAM?

Lightman, AlphaWolf and pharma like this.
  7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

If blocking Hamilton got votes I would think Bottas would have made the list.

8. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

Lewis was faster that 'You' today, no matter who was trying to block him.
    It's amazing to watch how he can drive on the limit for so long while taking care of the tires.
    Just to be clear, he is not my fav. driver, but I appreciate his skill and determination when in the car.

In general, so so race, showing that at least one Merc is still a car to beat. RedBull has to find another 0.3s or Mclaren 0.8 and we have a fight :D

pharma likes this.
  9. Bludd

Veteran

yeah hamilton just creaming everyone
    bottas cant hang in the same car

10. Rurouni

Veteran

I think if Max did the 2nd stop instead of Ham, Max could've won it. Ham probably can keep the tyres alive longer, but I don't think it would be enough to go to the end . The problem with that strategy is that Merc has Bottas which was not fast enough to live with Ham and Max, but close enough that RB need to consider his existence when deciding the strategy. This is where RB desperately needs a 2nd car that is close enough to the front, so they can have a bit more options with their strategy.

Edit: I just read that RB didn't have a new set of medium, so it is almost impossible to do 2 stop at that point. At the very least they need to stretch the stint to where they can fit the soft. So for RB to make 2 stint work would need Ham to commit to a single stop (or at least hope that Ham also do soft-med-soft) and preferably have a 2nd car to make life difficult for Ham if he decided to stop. RB can't rely on Bot alone to make life difficult for Ham.

#150 Rurouni, May 10, 2021 at 5:20 AM
    Last edited: May 10, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    Lightman likes this.
  11. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

I don't think Merc had a new set either. But Hamilton didn't seem to have much problems hanging around 1 second behind Verstappen from the end of the first stint onward so I don't think it would have mattered much what RBR did. Verstappen probably did all he could realistically do by passing Hamilton at the start and staying in front at the restart.

Lets hope they can find a bit more speed because its much more fun to watch another car have at least half a chance at winning rather than Hamilton just cruising to another victory.

I do hope the 2022 rules bunch up the field. If you look at the constructors F1 is basically divided in 4 different categories. Mercedes and RBR with most points, Mclaren and Ferrari with half the points, Alpine and Alpha Tauri with a quarter of the points of Mclaren and Ferrari and whatever is left.

12. Rurouni

Veteran

Actually after reading it carefully, RB actually only had 1 set of usable medium for the race while Merc keeping their options open by having another set of usable medium. Whether that medium set is a used set or not I'm not sure.

#152 Rurouni, May 10, 2021 at 9:19 AM
    Last edited: May 10, 2021 at 9:37 AM