Formula 1 - 2021 Season

Max didn't have the spray at the front that everyone else had so he could see.
Aquaplaning was also a real (likely) possibily.
Yes, that's obvious, but no one prevents another driver from overtaking Max and gaining better view ;)
Anyway, after 10 or so laps, Max would get spray from backmakers anyway. Besides, he earned that spray free slot yesterday.
Being first is not always good as you have to guess breaking spots on the first few laps, finding grip and so on.

These conditions are the only real opportunities for slower cars to shine thanks to luck and driver talent, so it's sad to see that taken from them like that.

Also this farce pretty much gave Williams guaranteed 8th or better in constructors championship without racing a single lap for it.

Watching some of today’s onboards, I knew there was a car ahead but all I could see was spray. The spray totally obscured their flashing rear lights. So what are they going to see if someone else crashes at Eau Rouge and ends up in the middle of the circuit, with possibly no spray and no lights as last-second clues? Even if they go “just” 160kph instead of 250 and that didn’t turn their tires to ice, that would be a hell of an accident. Some drivers reported Lando’s red flag before their pit wall warned them. What if they can’t even see the red flag around the circuits before they arrive at the scene of an accident?

I’ve only been watching since Vettel’s heyday, so really the only tragic outcome I’ve seen is Bianchi in the rain in Suzuka. That was under yellows. He spun off at the exact same place as the crash that brought out the yellows (and the crane truck…), only he did it while going even slower. Why risk another freak accident? IIRC, that one seemed preventable. That was probably their thinking today.

Awarding points without racing seems at odds with the (or any, really) sport. I’m not sure why they couldn’t even try to run the race on Monday. Zandevoort would be all the more interesting if it meant skipping Friday practices because freight was delayed by a day.

these cars just plain dont work at slow speeds and as marcin budkowski said, they dont really set cars up for wet setup anymore (raise the car etc) because of parc fermé etc.

it was a farce, but so what, this is very rare and new race in the netherlands this weekend

Also this farce pretty much gave Williams guaranteed 8th or better in constructors championship without racing a single lap for it.
Well, they did make some convincing laps during Q2, Q2 and Q3, didn't they? I don't think others teams are going to complain.

yep so bottas in at alfa romeo, russel in at merc. who will go to williams? latifi is staying so are they getting albon?

Alexander Albon contender for return to F1 with Alfa Romeo or Williams - BBC Sport
Alexander Albon is a contender for a return to Formula 1 with either Alfa Romeo or Williams next year, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner says.
The Anglo-Thai drove for Red Bull for a season and a half in 2019 and 2020 and is the team's reserve driver in 2021.

"Alex deserves a seat in F1 next year," Horner said. "Williams and Alfa have both expressed interest.

"We are keen to see him racing in F1 and hopefully that can be resolved over the next few days."

Kimi got covid-19 infection, Kubica will replace him for Zandvoort and possibly Monza.
He's not showing any symptoms and was reportedly vaccinated at least once already, which limits the severity of the infection.

I see shades of Kimi in his last year at Ferrari not helping Seb at all in the way Valtteri didn’t make Max work too hard in passing him and also took fastest lap near the end, forcing Lewis into another pit stop. I love it. Cheers to the race director for missing Alonso passing Carlos in the last lap.

Also, Vettel spun. He’s still got it! :) (Admittedly, this seemed a little different than his Ferrari angry over-throttle spins.)

L
O
L

Well, I never. Pretty exciting race until lap 26, when it became hilarious. Just when I was lamenting that Monza was a bit too short of a race. I guess it’s fuel limited?

Replays show another win for the halo. Cripes.

Verstappen gets penalty for Italian GP F1 incident with Hamilton (motorsport.com)
The statement issued by the stewards explained at length the reasoning behind their decision.

“Car 44 was exiting the pits. Car 33 was on the main straight. At the 50m board before Turn 1, Car 44 was significantly ahead of Car 33.

“Car 33 braked late and started to move alongside Car 44, although at no point in the sequence does Car 33 get any further forward than just behind the front wheel of Car 44.

“During the hearing the driver of Car 33 asserted that the cause of the incident was the driver of Car 44 opening the steering after Turn 1 and “squeezing” him to the apex of turn 2.

“The driver of Car 44 asserted that the driver of Car 33 attempted to pass very late and should have given up the corner either by backing off sooner, or by turning left behind the kerb.

“The Stewards observed on CCTV footage that the driver of Car 44 was driving an avoiding line, although his position caused Car 33 to go onto the kerb. But further, the Stewards observed that Car 33 was not at all alongside Car 44 until significantly into the entry into Turn 1.

“In the opinion of the Stewards, this manoeuvre was attempted too late for the driver of Car 33 to have “the right to racing room”.

“While Car 44 could have steered further from the kerb to avoid the incident, the Stewards determined that his position was reasonable and therefore find that the driver of Car 33 was predominantly to blame for the incident.

“In coming to the penalty the Stewards emphasise that they have only considered the incident itself and not the consequences thereof.”

As well as the three-place grid drop for Sochi, Verstappen has been handed two penalty points on his licence. These are his first points from the last 12 months.

Back