Formula 1 - 2019 Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bludd, Jan 8, 2019.

1. pharma

Veteran Regular

As far a Mercedes anything might happen. Toto's contract expires end of 2020 and there was talk he might take role running F1.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48911849

2. hoom

Veteran

So there is a possibility Merc finally runs into a rough period?

3. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

I’m not sure he’d want to go to Williams, but I guess he could go to Racing. if Perez moves on.

Hamilton keeps saying he wants a challenge. It seems like the only consistent challenge he’ll get is from someone in the other Merc. You could argue that Bottas had bad luck last year, and he’s reasonably close this year, but his wins seem circuit specific (to too few circuits).

Plus, how angry would it make Max if Ocon got the Merc drive? :twisted:

4. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Hmmm, maybe Ferrari will make qualifying interesti—nope, Merc turned the engine up to 11 for Q3. Also, Lewis typically muted in his praise of Bottas for pipping him to pole.

Very interesting bit about engine manufacturers controlling engine modes—even for customer teams—in that podcast I mentioned, which kind of justifies Ron Dennis switching to Honda. https://missedapexpodcast.com/episode-list/2019/7/9/1m4jt63jhdj6phztqoeaxshr5wvepi

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Great job by Vettel securing a podium finish for his teammate.

Pete, pharma and Lightman like this.
  6. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

This year's Mercedes car + Hamilton is simply something else..Fastest lap on the last lap on 20+ laps shot hard tires...How???

7. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

It was an action-packed race but the result was bad for the championship. Unbeatable; unbelievable.

8. hoom

Veteran

Yeah crazy :runaway:

Plenty of action all around but somehow another Merc soundcheck.

I don't understand why there was a full safety car for Giovinazzi crash, didn't appear to be any debris on the track & car deep in the gravel -> seemed like they could have cleaned up under virtual safety?
    It got Hamilton the lead & helped Kvyat move up a bunch of places, ending 9th from a poor starting 17th, got fairly close to Kimi for 8th.

Poor Albon was in 8th at one point but had apparently a short-circuit on the engine -> no 2nd stop for the safety of the pit-crew :shock: and lost 3 places in last couple of laps when his tyres hit the cliff.

Vettel had another nightmare of a race, somehow didn't completely take out both cars, good to see he went straight to Verstappen after the race to apologise.

Gasly with a clutch 4th when his career is on the line.

Norris got screwed by the safety car.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Did you mean "lucky enough to make Gladstone Gander look like Donald Duck"?

10. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

I expected a more interesting comment, a pity ;)

Great race though, was on the edge of my seat for most of it. The safety car did kind of come at a bad time, which isn't something you'll hear very often. Bottas was obviously keeping up Hamilton up which meant the Ferrari's and RBR's kept in touching distance. I also really wanted to see how the leclerc/verstappen battle would have ended. We got something of a second run after the restart but I felt the first battle was where it was at.

But this is the second race in a row that the RBR appears to be faster than the Ferrari so we might be in for more in the next couple of races.

Another thing of note is that ghasly seems to have picked up the pace a bit now that he's getting verstappen's setup. Though verstappen was still gaining on him even after his car went flying so that maybe kind of says it all.

11. hoom

Veteran

Oh, when did that happen?
    I find it surprising that teams do this not sharing setup stuff between cars.
    I understand wanting to have a bit of competition within the team but when it means one of your cars is underperforming its a silly waste of potential & potential points.