For those of you who actually don't have it, TF2 IS NOW FREE!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Mobius1aic, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Just randomly caught it on Steam.

Wow, Valve is pretty awesome for doing that. While of course, I'm sure no one has bought the game since well, forever, it was pretty cool of them to release one of their most popular games for free. Might pull some of those console gamers to the PC arena with a game that really is for the PC crowd!

2. sonix666

Regular

Wow, thanks for reporting that. It is actually really great. I have had the game since its first release. Now I can get some of my collegues getting to play that game instead of playing that Modern Warfare 2 crap we sometimes play.

3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

They have their crazy "microtransaction" mann store to support releasing the game itself for free. The average cost of items in that place is about €3.50, maybe more, and most of it are hats or miscellaneous items that do nothing except modify the appearance of your toon... Still I'm sure people shop quite a bit in there, so their profits are bound to be major.

...Especially for the community contributors, seeing as they get to keep 70% of the purchase fee, I believe. I assume that's the real reason for the outrageous prices. Or that's what I hope, anyway. :razz:

4. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

TF2 is a great game to be made F2P, especially for pulling in new people to Steam. Free service, free game, why not try and see how you like it? I'm sure Valve had been hardly selling the game since everyone who wanted it probably had it already, so might as well make it a F2P title while trying to garner profits via the Mann Co Store.

5. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

wow thanks the info! have not got TF2 will put my laptop to download it. hoping will finish under a week

6. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

7. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Make sure you guys go see the "Meet the Medic" 'introductary' movie (the game has been out for years already, heh), it's friggin' amazing.

Then there's the "World War Wednesday" soldier update whose official blog entry seals the already well-known fact that Valve has some of the best writers on staff anywhere. "MR. GARPABARP, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!" :lol: