For BIOS experts only..specifically Phoenix for laptops!

PC-Engine

Banned
I've got a problem. Does anyone know how to bypass the HDD lockout feature for laptops that has been activated for a HDD that's been removed from the original laptop???

The problem is my laptop died a week ago and the battery is dead and cannot be charged because the AC power circuitry for the laptop is fried. The AC adaptor still works but no power is getting to the laptop to power it or to recharge the battery. The laptop works fine on battery power, problem is I can't charge it.

So here's the problem. I've tried hooking up the laptop's HDD to my PC to transfer the data over, however the HDD cannot be unlocked by any other computer except the laptop it was installed in. This is a security option built into the Phoenix BIOS that safeguards the data on the HDD in the event that the laptop gets stolen.

Any ideas???

Charge the battery on another laptop (or get a charged battery), put it in your laptop, install the locked HD and unlock it before moving it to another machine for a copy. If you ask nicely, your local dealer may allow you to pop into their shop and borrow a charged battery for a few minutes to unlock the drive then and there.

Cool I think I'll try that thanks :D

I really didn't want to buy a new battery for this so hopefully I can try what you suggested.

Back