Football Manager 2007 demo

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Miksu, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Miksu

Regular

Football Manager 2007

Just a heads-up, Football Manager 2007's demo will be released soon (in 40 minutes, to be precise). Point your browser to http://www.sigames.com.

Most anticipated game of year 2006 is here soon. Good times ahead for divorce lawyers.

#1 Miksu, Sep 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2006
  2. Miksu

Regular

3. Miksu

Regular

The demo is great and I can't wait untill October 22nd for the full version.

So, anyone else playing this? I know it doesn't have 3D graphics but still! It probably sells better than 2006 version and even that was the fastest selling PC game ever in the UK for the first two weeks. So, please, someone raise your hand and say aloud: "I play Football Manager".

4. Miksu

Regular

Football Manager 2007 is released in Europe day after tomorrow so happy times are soon here!

5. Miksu

Regular

Whoah, FM2007's release date was move forward, to today. Couldn't find it from the local game stores yet but maybe tomorrow.

6. poopypoo

Veteran

Lol, I feel bad for you, all alone out here, so I'll say this: I played CM 2004, and a couple of other soccer management sims between 2002-2004, and I can honestly say these are the only sports games I would ever play again. The text games had so much drama, and the management was so cool and NERDY, and the building of your coach and the club facilities and staff was one of the best RPG feelings I've had in a long career of video gaming. But I haven't played since ^^; They take too much time ^^;;;

7. Miksu

Regular

Hehe, thanks :) And you know what's the best part? We nowadays have graphics in Football Manager and no need to rely on text! The game engine is really good too. I played little over 300 hours of FM2006 and never saw two similiar situations.

8. Miksu

Regular

Good news:

9. poopypoo

Veteran

well, i spent part of the week checking out CM07 and FM07, and FIFAM06. i have to say, i LOVE FM's new media options. finally a proper handling of the media. Despite critics' reviews to the contrary, however, as someone who hasn;t been following them all for long, I found the new CM07 interface far more intuitive. Both games, of course, fail miserably in this regard, when compared iwth FIFM 06. Another thing they both fail at compared with the TCM/FIFAM games, IMO, is the sort of sense of small-manager-in-a-big-football-world rpg element that i love most about these game. That said, I'm fairly certain that my dude struggling through the Ukrainian second division was coaching a bunch of faked players (either that or there are only a dozen first and last names in all of the Ukraine). This seems unforgiveable from a soccer sim point of view, especially one bearing the EA marketing mantle, but to a soccer n00b like me, I just want that RPG element. You get to pick who you coach in the other games, and in FIFAM you get offered contracts by really shitty clubs, instead, and it's great. Also, it actually sims the players through all the leagues at once, and you can get noticed by clubs all over the world. FM07 asked me which three leagues I wanted to sim, and I was like... fuck that! right away. Obviously you can still pull from the world's football talent, but it's just not the same... Lastly, I wish they'd bring back the extensive work on the text simulators. The drama there was far better than these hoky 3D sims. I guess it's my imagination... Seems like FM07 wins for detail. But I really hope FIFAM 07 will step up and blow it away (yeah right, it's EA). ;)

10. Miksu

Regular

Actually you can get more than three active leagues in FM2007. When creating a new game, click advanced and it allows you to add all the leagues you ever want. And in addition it's possible to set that "only these and these leagues are simulated fully" and the others will be simulated in a faster mode. You can set the league details anytime through the options. In my game, for example, I have only Finnish leagues in full detail and Spain, Englan, Italy and Sweden are in quick sim. But if I get sacked and move to an Italian club, that league gets into full simulation mode. If the league is in full simulation mode, you can watch every game from it even when you're not participating in the game. Again an example. You're a manager in a Finnish 1st division club and you like to follow England's premiership so you have set that in full simulation mode. After three season you are thinking of buying allmost-retired english player from England. You can go to his details, see every match which he has played and watch those games! I mean really watch them in full.

Also in FM2007 you can select your reputation in when creating manager profile. If you're a world class, you get better offers from the start but I like to start from the bottom so I set my reputation as low as possible. Now I'm managing second season in Finnish 1st division team and we just got promoted to premiership. I could try to apply to open positions in Arsenal, Manu or any other team but I won't get there before I have build my reputation. If I want to be a manager in those big clubs, I first need to show that I'm good enough and for example in FM2006 it took me over 10 seasons (~280hours of playing) before English premiership team accepted my offer. And it was a small club (Leicester).

Lower league management in FM2007 is getting better and better in every version. For example in FM2007 the scouting system was revamped and now, because I'm only a semi-professional team, I can scout players only in Finland. Maybe after our chairman decides that it's time to move our club into a professional level I can scout outside our own borders.

11. poopypoo

Veteran

awesome. thanks for the tip -- i'll give it another shot on "Advanced". but, on this subject, I do wonder what prevents them from finally making a clean UI..? 9_9; I suppose it's for the old school players though -- the UI looks identical to how I recall it looking in 2000...

12. Miksu

Regular

Imho the new UI looks quite good.

This is how it looked in 2006.

And in 2003 it looked like this.

13. poopypoo

Veteran

I guess "clean" is the wrong criticism; I just find it more difficult to find things in FM than TCM/FIFAM. speaking of which, FIFAM 07 should be out today! :D

14. poopypoo

Veteran

Wow... FIFAM 07 is crazy... again, real football fans might not approve, but me this is just a very deep RPG, so it's pretty wow o_O

you now have a large plot of land on which you can build all of your club facilities, including fast food outlets..?

i have my doubts that all this is balanced very well, but if it is, I highly approve. Mixing genres, bringing me something new... wish i had better Press options in this game, but the general feeling I get playing this game is one involving a lot more fun than FM07.

edit: regarding my opinions on the UI: fifam 07 squad page

#14 poopypoo, Nov 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2006
  15. KeillRandor

Newcomer

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to get FM2007... I've played FM2006 - but eventually got bored with it...

The problems I've had with every football management game I've played, is that they either a) require a lot of micromanagement to get the most out of them (which I hate) - (though thankfully the FM series isn't like that), OR b) you just have to figure out how best to play them, and once that has happened, it's pretty easy/(but repetitve). Unfortunately FM2006 suffered from the latter... The fact that I played it for as long as I did though - (I took Lincoln into the premiership) - is testament to the fact that they did get a lot of things right - (IMO), but it still got repetitive once I figured out how best to play it...

I'm not really sure if FM2007 really makes this side of things any better or not compared to FM2006? most of what I've seen adds more stuff on top, but it's the underlying gameplay thats the real problem at the end IMO.

(The main management game I've been playing since I dropped FM2006 has actually been the NFL head coach game, which I'm enjoying quite a bit for now - though it's kinda falling into the same traps - (too repetitive)).

16. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Then you might actually like the PSP version of this game. It gets rid of some of the micromanagement, but still remains fun. The 2006 version got pretty good reviews on eurogamer.net (I think an 8) and the 2007 version is coming along soon, which also probably means you'll soon be able to get the 2006 version cheap.

Here's an overview of the improvements of the 2007 version on PSP

http://www.footballmanager.net/en/article/21/1288.html

And seeing how much time this game kills, it's probably well suited to handheld gaming, so that it at least kills time you can afford to miss. ;)

#16 Arwin, Nov 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2006
  17. Miksu

Regular

Aye, that looks good. This is also something that Sport's Interactive won't ever include in FM2007. They've stated numeros times that they want to keep the game as close as possible to real life managing, meaning tactics, player transfers and training. Designing your arena is more of a chairman's job.

But I'll think I'll give FIFAM07 a try now when I'm waiting a patch for FM2007. There are couple things broken.

Yeah, that's clean. And very web pageish :)

There were some really nice (IMHO) skins for '2006 so I suppose these will be ported to '2007 some day.

18. Miksu

Regular

FM2006 plays just fine so I think you could skip '2007. Atleast until the game gets a patch.

FM2007 has added quite more micro managing to matches. I'm tweaking my tactics to almost every match because there aren't any tactics which will work in every situation.

19. poopypoo

Veteran

This sounds like a very smart idea!!! and something that really takes advantage of PSP's screen, I'll bet.

I think it's pretty easy on the eyes, and that really makes a difference playing this sort of game. There are some things I don't love, like two clicks to opening the player details screens, but the comparison screens are pretty sweet. Makes transfers a hell of a lot easier. And the RP elements I'm addicted to, but it makes sense that a serious sports sim like FM07 would go in a different direction. Plus, it's probably smarter for them not to get caught up in playing EA's game (though their budgets must be pretty intense by now! FM is stunningly popular!). Thanks again for the info and I look forward to comparing notes with you. *Goes to find FM skins*

20. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yeah, it looks pretty decent. Here are some shots from the 2006 version:

http://www.eurogamer.net/view_screenshot.php?image=assets/articles/a64001/swap.jpg
    http://www.eurogamer.net/view_screenshot.php?image=assets/articles/a64001/swap.jpg
    http://www.eurogamer.net/view_screenshot.php?image=assets/articles/a64001/anticipated.jpg

There are screenshots of the 2007 version in the link I posted earlier:

http://www.footballmanager.net/en/article/21/1288.html