Fonts are no longer readable after switching to nvidia

entity279

Veteran
Supporter
Hi. So my passive hd6850 died today. My brother is away so i immediately taken his 970 Gtx and the results are those you can hopefully see on the picture.

I cant understand how the AMD drivers worked flawlessly here. nVidia driver was installed via Windows Update. I Have Win 10, having given up on the insider program.

Any ideeas wrt to the problem? Cleartype is enabled, but disabling it or tweaking it did nothing. Also DPI scaling is at 125 %

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image (2).jpg
    New Bitmap Image (2).jpg
    835.3 KB · Views: 52
1. I would not rely on windows update for drivers.
2. I can read all the text in your picture in what way is it unreadable ?
Is it a problem with your monitor ?

ps: Are you studying physics ?

Last edited:
So apparently with around 200% DPI scaling, the fonts look acceptable and readable. But 200% means everything is huge. Previously the fonts looked a bit better on 125%..

Well, with huge windows taking up the whole of my 30 inch screen, I feel like the 640 x 480 days are back!

So are you saying the screenshot was taken with fonts at 200% ?
Nope. That was the initial 125%. There you'll have to watch for the Core Temp's fonts without zooming. And the title of Core Temp looks particularly aliased. But yeah, that picture is somehow not as bad as what I really saw, don't understand why

The only problem I can see is you seem to have a font with a shadow
notice the black pixels between the letters
YXsu42v.jpg

edit: try this
i'm on win 7 hope win10 is the same
right click on desktop select personalise
then display
custom dpi setting
use windows xp dpi scaling

KTYAycd.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help out. The Custom DPI Setting is still there, but it's missing the Xp Style checkbox.

There's more than just the shade, IMO the fonts are clearly lacking resolution - meaning I should be able to read the text at a given size (100% scaling, text size of 9) but I just can't as letters mix together and have missing pieces. I'll attach a better proof now - zoom in a little bit and check the file names, notice how 'i' is almost invisible when part of Ritch.

Untitled.jpg

Now I've replaced the 970 with the spare 460 gtx I'll be using for a while. I've also reset (new MS term for reinstall) windows entirely. I've also installed the lastest nvidia drivers from their site directly. No changes.

So it appears I'm not just experiencing some weird software interactions - this is the out of the box experience when using Windoes 10 and an nVidia card with a largish monitor (mine's Dell's U3014 ). And yet no one reported this to my knowledge hence it might still be a rather unique problem.

Hmmm, that is incredibly similar to a problem a friend of mine had with an R9 290 and an ACER monitor. Using the HDMI port it would have that situation where things (most noticeable on fonts like your screenshot above) weren't being displayed correctly. Interestingly, if he used a DP->HDMI converter or a DVI->HDMI converter, everything worked as it should. It wasn't the cable, as the same cable was used with the HDMI converters.

He ended up just using a DP->HDMI converter.

If you have other ports on your graphics card, try those. Try a converter (DVI->DP, DP->DVI, etc.) as well, might work.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Gee thanks you're right. It's the monitor at fault. This must be it, since I'm seeing fonts in youtube vids also blurry.

I've ran the monitor from DP with the AMD card, and now running from DVI with nVidia (my current card doesn't even have DP, sadly).

I'll investigate further but quick glipse on Dell site it appears the monitor does handle DVI inputs differntly to DP

Usually it is because of the chroma subsampling setting is less than 4:4:4. In AMD, there is a setting where you can choose from 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0. I don't know where to access that in Nvidia, but on AMD it should be on the display setting (from the old panel, not crimson).
Btw, my current monitor (a Toshiba TV) could do a perfect 1080p using VGA, but can only do 4:2:2 from HDMI @1080p :(

edit: probably you can play in display-change resolution on Nvidia CP. It should be RGB and Full. The setting is only available with HDMI. I'm using DVI and it only got desktop color depth. And maybe updating the monitor driver http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-u3014/drivers . It might not help with anything, but who knows?

Last edited:
ive got it with dvi
In my office computer using 760 with the latest driver connected to dell 23" and 24", I didn't have it. Maybe because it's being recognized as a pure monitor, thus don't have that stuff. Actually the 24" monitor do have HDMI, but my PC won't connect to it through HDMI, so both monitor connected through DVI.
Edit: so I think it depends on how the monitor (or connector) present/identify itself to the card.

Usually it is because of the chroma subsampling setting is less than 4:4:4. In AMD, there is a setting where you can choose from 4:4:4, 4:2:2, and 4:2:0. I don't know where to access that in Nvidia, but on AMD it should be on the display setting (from the old panel, not crimson).
Btw, my current monitor (a Toshiba TV) could do a perfect 1080p using VGA, but can only do 4:2:2 from HDMI @1080p :(

edit: probably you can play in display-change resolution on Nvidia CP. It should be RGB and Full. The setting is only available with HDMI. I'm using DVI and it only got desktop color depth. And maybe updating the monitor driver http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-u3014/drivers . It might not help with anything, but who knows?

Interesting. I wish I still had the monitor so I could try it out again and see if that fixed the issue without having to go through a converter.

Regards,
SB

Interesting. I wish I still had the monitor so I could try it out again and see if that fixed the issue without having to go through a converter.

Regards,
SB
Maybe you can try doing the reverse (choosing 4:2:2) and see if the look is similar to the problem you've had. Anyway, my Toshiba TV obviously only have half the bandwidth required for 1080p in HDMI, thus need to choose 4:2:2. @720p it is fine. Damn cheap TV. The panel itself is capable of doing normal 1080p60Hz since I can do it through VGA. Why Toshiba, why???

hey i experienced that too years ago in Windows 7. Unfortunately i cant remember what i do to fix it :(

have you tried running in safe mode with default windows "standard VGA Display driver"?
if it works fine, then the GPU, cable, monitor, all working fine probably. but the official vendor driver have some borked settings.

try resetting all stuff with driver uninstaller from Guru3D. then only install the driver without the control panel app.

So no love in my case for the DVI connection in nVidia CP . I could only choose the resolution and refresh. Its idiotic.

But I bought a miniHDMI - HDMI cable as well to try stuff out. For HDMI, I can select the color format and the dynamic range (So RGB/Full is available). But then for HDMI I get a resolution limit of 1200p.

Then I came across one guy/girl on the web who created a custom resolution for HDMI to 2560 x 1600 and randomly changed the timings to CVT Reduced Blank ( tried 1600p at first with automatic timings, nogo) .. And that worked for her and works for me.

Too tedious, but mission accomplished.

I still don't know who's at fault here (monitor, nV) and would be curious to know.

Thanks for the very useful contributions to this thread everyone. I've learned quite a bit ;)
Btw, is there anything not nice in using HDMI given the fact that it's not quite designed for desktop use?

Last edited:
Back