Flotilla, 200pts, Pure Awesome (Xbox Live)

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Acert93, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Acert93

Acert93 Artist formerly known as Acert93
    Legend

Flotilla is on sale for 200pts on Xbox Live Indie Games right now. It is included in their holiday sales. I had skipped over it when it first was released but seeing it on sale reminded me that it had some good reviews. I have been looking for good MP strategy games so I gave it a whirl.

Oh boy, was I glad I did. It is kind of like a visualized "Ender's Game" space combat in true 3D. How it works:

The game is broken up into Planning and Watching Stages.

Planning: You cycle through your ships and give them one of the following orders:
    * Attack. Your ship moves to where you direct them and attacks.
    * Flank. Your ship can move faster/farther but does not fire.
    * Focus. Your ship doesn't move hardly at all but it has increased fire.

After picking your order and movement you also choose your target AND where you want to point your ship. This is vital because the front/top have armor and the rear/bottom do not. You can have up to 6 ships, and there are about 6-8 ship varieties (different speeds, guns, armor; some are better at in close with beams, etc).

Anyhow, it is pure awesome. Some more data on the ships would be nice (total trial and error) and the interface takes a little to get used to. But within an hour I was addicted. Better yet it has a 4 way skirmish mode for 2 players (either on a team or against) so you can have 4 teams with a total of 24 ships duking it out.

The SP doesn't seem to have a save mode, but it looks like it is a "make your own story" that, depending on the planets you go to, creates a "unique" silly story. Very interesting. The big perk was getting to upgrade ships--this would be an awesome MP feature to get a handful of upgrades to put into your fleet.

Anyways, if you have not played Flotilla run, do not walk, and give it a try if you are remotely interested in strategy games.

In hope there is a sequel with online MP and a little more depth/fleshing out, but the core is soooo good. Awesome game! So go support the indie dev with $2.40.

Ps- great music and, for shame, THIS is what any Star Trek game should aspire to be.

2. Acert93

Legend

And since I love being the armchair game developer this is what I sent to the developer :p

Now go get a copy!

3. Acert93

Legend

And someday I am going to start a blog writing down all my game concepts just for fun.

And Flotilla is the most $2 fun I have had in a long time.