flat screen monitors!

gamefreak

Newcomer
my new pc came with a 17 " fsm,when i play games the graphics look stunning but when u rotate in a game(first person shooters that is)everything is so blurry you cant see anything!the same problem occurs when scrolling up and down on a webpage etc...i tried my frinds flatty and that was the same,even the mouse pointer blurrs when moved.when i tried my old monitor everyhing is fine and games run like a dream.is there anything i can do to rectify this fault or is this just the way of the flatscreen.any views most appreciated o_O

gamefreak said:
my new pc came with a 17 " fsm,when i play games the graphics look stunning but when u rotate in a game(first person shooters that is)everything is so blurry you cant see anything!the same problem occurs when scrolling up and down on a webpage etc...i tried my frinds flatty and that was the same,even the mouse pointer blurrs when moved.when i tried my old monitor everyhing is fine and games run like a dream.is there anything i can do to rectify this fault or is this just the way of the flatscreen.any views most appreciated o_O

That's the way they are with a lot of plasma/LCD monitors. It's down to slow response times on switching the LCD pixels on and off.. Things are getting better, but LCDs with fast response times are still very expensive.

I assume you mean an LCD monitor rather than a flatscreen CRT?
The blur effect you see is common to most LCD's although they are improving them. Basically a pixel on an LCD monitor can take quite a while to change from one color 15us is considered quite good (that is approx 60Hz) there are some monitors which claim 11us, but most are still around the 20-22us range which equates to a 45Hz update).
Chances are that a monitor that was bundled with your system would be a lower end one with a slower refresh. The better monitors cost a fair bit more at the moment.
Not really anything you can do, (one thought is that if you limit your framerate in game to say 45 then you may get jerky but crisp transitions between frames rather than a smooth blurred one).

CC

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
That's the way they are with a lot of plasma/LCD monitors. It's down to slow response times on switching the LCD pixels on and off.. Things are getting better, but LCDs with fast response times are still very expensive.

The problem is also that the ones with the fastest response time aren't necessarily the best monitors for gaming:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20040413/lcd-08.html

From the reviews i've read so far, there aren't any LCD monitors to this date that are good for hardcore gamers. Looks like this might change later this year though.

Quitch said:
So right now we're stuck with CRTs... what are the best CRTs to look for?
As with anything you get what you pay for. Generally speaking high end monitors should support 2048x1536 at 75Hz (gives a dotclock of ~345MHz), most graphics cards are supporting 350MHz DAC's. Realistically you would probably drop the resolution you are running in so that you can run at 90Hz refresh.
The limiting factor on monitors is generally the line rate (how many lines a second it can handle), a high end monitor should be able to handle around 130KHz.

I have always been very happy eith Eizo monitors which tend to give good quality at a reasonable price, (currently got a Eizo Vision Master pro 512 at work and a 452 (I think) at home).

CC

I wouldn't ever buy a CRT again unless I was on a low budget. The picture quality and colour reproduction of a good DVI-based TFT is so much better. The blurring is a non-issue for me on most decent screens - the one on my laptop is poor, but the LG TFT I have is great. Certainly that doesn't have any mouse pointer blur.

I probably have got used to it to some extent, but I really don't think it's much of a problem nowadays on quality screens.

You get motion blur for free and you complain... really people are never happy ;)

Some used 21" CRTs are dirt cheap on ebay.

Try searching for used Nokia 445Xav for example. If you get it for around 200 e / $ you wont be disappointed. As long as you wont be moving with it to a lan party every weekend, that is... ah, my back!

Mendel said:
Some used 21" CRTs are dirt cheap on ebay.

Try searching for used Nokia 445Xav for example. If you get it for around 200 e / $ you wont be disappointed. As long as you wont be moving with it to a lan party every weekend, that is... ah, my back!

Old Nokia CRTs have a habit of looking like crap though. We had a bunch of really nice 17" nokia CRTs from maybe about 10 years ago at school which all are extremely dim and have a slight pink/purple tint to them and were at varying degrees of degradation. Much worse than most other old monitors I've seen/used.

Nite_Hawk

Back