Flashing Samsung firmwares (Galaxy Note Pro, naff colours, missing settings,...Help!)

In general i use ODIN too, but like many new modded firmware are only working from boot recovery menu... well this work too from here, copy the firmware ( old or new ) to the storage ( SD card is more convenient for this ), delete cache / data etc, flash.

I find really strange that you dont have this setting under "display" ( you should have at least 4 colors mode, dynamic, standard, video ( RGB ), auto.
So this make me a bit suspicious about the shop you have buy this tablet, problem of color + settings for color who is missing... thats seems a bit too much for an hazard.

Question:
Why did you buy such an oddball tablet? :) It's difficult to imagine a samsung device without a community (since they're the largest manufacturer of android devices in the known universe...) Is it very new or something?
6 months? But it's a 12" tablet targeted at Suits (comes with a load of business software and subscriptions), so it's not really mainsteam. Most people would be happier with the 10" version, or a cheaper tablet without the pen which is really for handwriting and drawing. I just love the screen space. It's a better tablet for artwork and ideas IMO. When I got my original 10" Note, I said it'd be a perfect tablet with higher res and nearly A4 page size, so the Note Pro is almost the perfect tablet for me (OLED version would be perfect :D)

I find really strange that you dont have this setting under "display" ( you should have at least 4 colors mode, dynamic, standard, video ( RGB ), auto.
So this make me a bit suspicious about the shop you have buy this tablet, problem of color + settings for color who is missing... thats seems a bit too much for an hazard.
As I link to above, the Hong Kong manual doesn't list Screen Mode setting. Very weird, but according to the manual, my unit's exactly as it should be.

6 months? But it's a 12" tablet targeted at Suits (comes with a load of business software and subscriptions), so it's not really mainsteam. Most people would be happier with the 10" version, or a cheaper tablet without the pen which is really for handwriting and drawing. I just love the screen space. It's a better tablet for artwork and ideas IMO. When I got my original 10" Note, I said it'd be a perfect tablet with higher res and nearly A4 page size, so the Note Pro is almost the perfect tablet for me (OLED version would be perfect :D)

As I link to above, the Hong Kong manual doesn't list Screen Mode setting. Very weird, but according to the manual, my unit's exactly as it should be.

Ok i see, could be something so with this particular HK firmware.

yeah sometime manufacturer region lock their features. so after you flash the generic region (or other region with the feature) firmware it should appear.

unfortnately the tablet did not hve good community. if it have good community, you can just ask smeone to upload the APK and install it on your phone. Sometime it need root and be copied to "system/app" but sometime it will work fine by normally installing APK.

doh, i just bricked my phone.

lesson learned: make sure you have latest full-backup. I was sleepy and completely forgot to do any backup haha

I did flash the FW to UK spec. It worked and presented the Screen Mode setting. This didn't solve the crap yellows and I now have the joy of a return and refund to try and get. Flashed back to HK FW and that removed the Screen Settings option.

I also found a Note 10.1 in a local shop, and it too had lousy yellows. I'd say not as bad as the Note Pro, but they weren't anything like true yellow in perception. I'm thinking RGBW is crap. I'm thinking the screen uses R+G to create a dingy yellow, then pumps in some white to amp it, producing a low intensity, lower saturation yellow that looks greenish in comparison.

does the seller understand your problem? Isnt it hard to convince them that there is a problem?
if you success, share the trick to us :D

The problem is enforcing international sellers. At the end of the day, they can not refund or make some excuse like blame me and I can't realistically fight them through the courts. So I just have to hope they're reasonable. It would seem that positive reviews for the retailer are based on when the product is delivered just fine. Such reviews are fairly useless. Review sites should split reviews into successful sales and what happens when things go wrong.

As a conclusion, I received a full refund yesterday. Kudos to ValueBasket, they kept their word and didn't mess around. The were a bit dodgy in the description of the product (they open up the Chinese tablets and set them up to sell internationally, which means a factory reset boots them in Chinese), but I guess that's kinda what buying from China is.

Now I can wait for Samsung to release a real pro tablet with an OLED screen. Or someone else using K1.

Back