Fixed my freaking oven!

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I didn't know I could fix ovens, too kewl. :cool:

My wife was finally to the point of calling someone to take a look at it, so I decided I really should first. I'd torn it down before but couldn't figure out the problem, I pretty much did the same thing I did before but noticed something this time...

The oven (lower gas/igniter assembly) wasn't lighting, the broiler (upper gas/igniter assembly) was working fine....but I couldn't see a blood difference 'tween what they were doing except one worked and one didn't.

They both had the same electrical igniter, it'd turn orange a few seconds after turning the stove/broiler on and then after about 10-15 seconds of increasing intensity the broiler would fire up....the oven would just keep staying white/orange hot. :???:

I couldn't see any temp sensors, so I figured they must be built-in to the igniters now. Problem was I didn't want to go blow $68 on a new igniter unless it'd fix the problem, and I pulled the igniters and they both bloody looked identical.

Then I noticed something staring at the oven's igniter glowing but not lighting, it's intensity was wavering slightly up/down. I thought I was imagining it at first because it was so subtle, but then I turned off all the lights and made my wife sit with me staring at it for a few minutes until she said she saw it too.

Went and got a new igniter, (there's a Maytag supply/repair store about 3 blocks away from me), and put it in and everything is now all better. The oven lives again. :D

Stupid, but it really made my day. The nice lady at Maytag told me not to feel too bad about the $68 part because if we'd have had to call them to do it we would have paid between an additional $80-$160 depending on how long it took the guy.

Take 2, just got and replaced the clock/controller board for it and it's working again. :)

$129.99 local, fixing ovens is FUN!

my microwave went fricking kerflooey. blows the circuit breaker. the twirler has worn a groove into the underlying 'track' the wheels turn in...RUST! in a microwave! even have a little black burnage coming out the side of the electrical outlet. only 5 years old. how long do most microwaves last? you supposed to change the oil or something?

my microwave went fricking kerflooey. blows the circuit breaker. the twirler has worn a groove into the underlying 'track' the wheels turn in...RUST! in a microwave! even have a little black burnage coming out the side of the electrical outlet. only 5 years old. how long do most microwaves last? you supposed to change the oil or something?
You're supposed to clean them out once in a while, that's about it. 5 years for a microwave seems a tad short, but they're so cheap to replace it ain't bad.

You should try and mod it...

oven SLI :)
Already have a 20% overclocked burner on my stove top. :cool:

Back