Fix water damaged camera LCD

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Om my vacation I managed to break my camera by getting water into it. Normally those kind of things fixes itself if I let it dry for a day or two. Well, at least the camera is now operating fine again, however, the screen is still broken. It just displays some sort of static white and wet looking image. I guess the main difference here is that this was quite salty sea water. I've seen some repair videos on youtube for water damaged LCDs, like this one. Have anyone tried anything like this?
Before seeing the videos I was thinking that maybe sinking it into regular water to wash out the salt (without batteries and stuff of course) and let it dry again could help. Would that be a reasonable thing to do?

You should have rinsed it out immediately with fresh (preferably distilled like digi said, or deionized) water, now it may be permanently damaged...

You can try soaking it good now - several rinse/repeats - and let it dry out good for like a week at least, but who can say if that will actually help at this stage.

I rinsed it thoroughly (strange feeling putting a camera into water) and let it dry for a few days. I had it hanging behind the video card during same gaming for extra dryness. ;) Now the screen works fine again. :) Just some small stains putting some shadows here and there inside in screen, but nothing that will bother me too much.

Noice! That's the trick with water damaged electronics to have any prayer of 'em working again, rinse 'em out and then DRY THEM THOROUGHLY before even attempting to power them.

Glad to hear Humus, congrats. Now get us some picts of your fiance. :p

Back