First Person Shooters on consoles

Sonic

Veteran
Seems to me that FPS games have gotten quite successful in this generation on consoles. Games like Halo and Metroid Prime have done very well despite being on consoles with a userbase far less than the PS2 combined. I sort of credit the Halo style control for the popularity of FPS games on the Xbox especially. If it weren't for Halo I don't know if FPS games would be as popular on consoles as they are.

Since I really don't have any FPS games on PS2 I cannot comment on that, so my opinion is through experience.

My question to you great people of the B3D community is what games do you think helped pave the way for a successful genre (FPS) on consoles in this generation. Personally, I think Goldeneye on N64 had much to do with it and showed game makers that it can be done on consoles. Another question I wish to present is: Do you believe FPS genre is replacing any traditional genre on gaming consoles that have been big but have now taken a step back. I think FPS genre is sort of taking the place of the fighting games. We're not seeing a multitude of fighting games like we did when Saturn and PSX were around. SC, VF, Tekken are just a few that we have. Seems like Street Fighter has finally slowed down, we did get Mortal Kombat, but no other really big prominent ones. However, FPS's have gained a lot in marketshare and sales.

I think most of the dc online fps paved the way for the quality of the fps of this gen. Along with perfect dark and golden eye. I still rather play a fps on a pc though . Mouse and keyboard can not be beat for fps and stratgy / sim games

Yeah, I'd say that games like Turok (1M+ sales) GoldenEye (5M+) and Perfect Dark (1M+) paved the way.. then Halo (3M+) picked up where they left off.

still, i think controls in consoles FPS need to go a long way to be even acceptable to some PC-FPS-users.
i mean, the difference between controller and mouse-keyboard is not even funny.
also, on a sidenote, u can get framerates on PC that are much more suited to FPS than even a locked 60fps. and we know that the majority of consoles FPS are either a VERY unstable 60fps or an almost stable 30fps.
i mean the only ones with a good framerate i can think of are Metroid and timesplitters... Quake3 on PS2 had a perfect framerate too....
but i mean, even the much-loved Halo is embarrassingly choppy sometimes.
how hard would it be to implement a trackball on next gen controllers? i think that would make the precision issue easier of FPS don't u guys think?
trackballs give pretty much the same presision as a mouse, and it would be "cool" enough to be considered "living-room-material", since it doesnt need a surface to lie on like a mouse does...
u know what i mean?

I would think it would be easier to get a stable framerate from a console. Fixed hardware, and all that.

Blade said:
Yeah, I'd say that games like Turok (1M+ sales) GoldenEye (5M+) and Perfect Dark (1M+) paved the way.. then Halo (3M+) picked up where they left off.

Didn't Goldeneye sell over 10 million? Or are you just talking about North American sales?

Ozy: I think that GE007 was around 5 million in the US/Canada alone.. don't know about Japan/Europe.

I think the 3M Halo estimate is worldwide.. not sure about that. It continues to sell here, though..

As a PC online FPS gamer, 30 fps is unplayable. Dips to 20-40 fps are just acceptable, but in general the game must run 60-100.

IMHO, there is no substitute for keyboard+mouse, just so much more precision... two analog sticks are adequate for single-player campaigns, but in mulitplayer, I often find myself saying, "Man, if only I was playing on a PC..."

nondescript said:
IMHO, there is no substitute for keyboard+mouse, just so much more precision... two analog sticks are adequate for single-player campaigns, but in mulitplayer, I often find myself saying, "Man, if only I was playing on a PC..."
But everyone else is using a controller as well so the playing field is level. Now it's not who has the best playing skills and best coordination with a mouse/keyboard combo, it's who has the best playing skills and best coordination with a controller.

Halo schmalo. Why do all these ignorant people keep crediting that game when it comes to making shooters popular on consoles? It was neither the first console FPS to sell well, nor the first to go with a dual-analog setup (which really is more confusing than anything else).

Breez:

As a PC online player, I do wonderfully well with a steady 30fps framerate. Any more than 30 is just gravy, candy for the eye. A year or so ago, I was a competitive Wolf3D player, and I found a good ping does a helluva lot more than a good framerate, that's for sure.

*G*

DeathKnight said:
nondescript said:
But everyone else is using a controller as well so the playing field is level. Now it's not who has the best playing skills and best coordination with a mouse/keyboard combo, it's who has the best playing skills and best coordination with a controller.

if you wanted a challenge (or even the playing filed). why not play with one hand? 8)

seriously playing with pads is serioues regression for an FPS, lets hope the next gen presents up with more input options in some manner.

I could care less if it's a regression or not... I have the ability and motor skills to play well with either a keyboard/mouse config or a controller config. I've played many FPS's on both PC and console.

Honestly, I think it's pretty lame when people complain about the "inferiority" of a controller. I have yet to play a console FPS that was either too difficult or too hard to aim in as a result of using a controller. Yeah, a keyboard/mouse combo is a much more precise solution, but so what. Deal and adapt :)

DeathKnight said:
I could care less if it's a regression or not... I have the ability and motor skills to play well with either a keyboard/mouse config or a controller config. I've played many FPS's on both PC and console.

Honestly, I think it's pretty lame when people complain about the "inferiority" of a controller. I have yet to play a console FPS that was either too difficult or too hard to aim in as a result of using a controller. Yeah, a keyboard/mouse combo is a much more precise solution, but so what. Deal and adapt :)

heh that is a dumb way of thinking. You should want a keyboard and mouse solution for the consoles. Facts are facts. For certian games mouse and keyboards are years ahead of controllers . For other games controllers are years ahead of the mouse and keyboard. For fps's the keyboard and mouse are ahead. I have the option on my pc to use a wheel , joystick , controller or mouse and keyboard. Why can't i ask taht of my console.

Oh wait i did and i recieved that. Its just that in this industry every step foward that sega took the other console makers took two back. Every day this becomes more obvious.

With the gen they had the sega channel. First step towards receiving content over the internet. With the saturn they had the first add on modem. With the dreamcast they had the first built in modem. Now what 4 years after the dreamcasts death the other systems finaly offer what sega has been offering since the saturn. And it becomes a big deal.

With my dreamcast i was able to buy a mouse and keyobard and kick computer user's butts in some games. If i was to play halo on the xbox against someone on a pc i would have my butt handed to me.

you can't have the same degree of precision w/ a little analog stick with a mouse.. it's a fact.

FPS for consoles should be adapted and have a different kind of gameplay (ar at the very least an adapted/assisted gameplay), like metroid prime.

jvd said:
ChryZ said:
jvd said:
If i was to play halo on the xbox against someone on a pc i would have my butt handed to me.
Mircosoft's caged online-experience will prevent this humiliation.

which is a huge step back. Once again.

If you say so.. the non-existant cheating alone makes XBL a better experience than most PC games.

Now if MS could only get their shit together with dedicated servers... :devilish:

Yeah but I hate voice among other things that happen with xbl so console gaming in ms eyes in not my play schedule. Online gaming isn't half as a bad as long as you know what your doing and stay away from public servers for most games.

Back