First GTX295 preview(s) out

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Kaotik, Dec 17, 2008.

1. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Dunno for sure, but maybe a GT200 without NVIO qualifies as ub0r-expensive Tesla?

That'd make GTX295 effectively a GTX275+Tesla and they wouldn't want that, i guess.

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The problem is that while writing a profile might be trivial these days (especially for those that are tech savy), it's not all that common to see consumers do so with hardware recommended to them by their friends, family, salesperson, whatever.

I have a few friends with a variety of SLI setups. Everything from the 7950 GX2 to dual 8800 GTXs. Purely because they heard that was the fastest setup available at the time they bought their computer.

Not a single one of them has ever bothered to create a a profile for a game that didn't come with a profile already included. Instead they complain about how certain games just aren't that fast. Or that game companies aren't optimizing for their Nvidia card, or any number of conspiracy theories. :roll:

It's one of the reasons why ATI's crossfire systems don't suffer from the lack nearly as much as many people on forums such as these think they do. While enthusiasts will always prefer to have more control (especially over something that can effect performance so drastically with dual card AFR), it's just not the reality that many people bother to use it when its available.

So testing games that don't have in driver support without writing a custom profile is a very valid thing to do as that's the way most people will be running it.

It can certainly be argued that the majority of people that buy SLI systems will be tech savy people that will use the profiles, but that just hasn't been my experience. There's a LOT of people running SLI systems just because they read a review that said it was the fastest thing ever, or they got it because so-and-so that they know told them that's what to get if they want the fastest gaming possible. Hell, a lot of them still don't even bother or know about enabling AA. And yet they still insisted they must have dual 8800 GTXs (at the time). A lot don't ever upgrade their drivers unless I point it out to them and do it for them... /sigh...

As heretical as it may be to say this on a tech forum... For the majority of people, the simpler it is (IE - less options to configure), the better it is...

Regards,
    SB

#102 Silent_Buddha, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2008
  3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yeah, it's a moot point for Nvidia users too. There are default profiles for most games and I don't think I've heard of anyone besides Chris talk about custom profiles. The issue that affects most people is the level of multi-GPU support built into the default driver profiles and the speed with which new titles are supported. If I'm not mistaken SLI is still ahead in that regard.

4. Davros

Legend

My problem with profiles is when i select "Show only programs found on my computer"
    the list empties despite having 230 games installed. So if the game isnt detected the profile isnt going to be applied

5. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

IIRC it should still apply the profile even if it doesn't detect the game being installed.

If it's giving you too much trouble use nHancer, its "Show only programs found on my computer" function works fine and it gives you way more options to boot.

6. Jawed

Legend

7. rpg.314

Veteran

INQ had a story going saying that gt200b would have heat issues so nV was goig to cherry pick the chips. Seems it has happened. Full 240 ALU's enabled had to generate heat. Lot's of it.

8. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

Like I said. Find me a game you want benched. The belief that Nvidia only builds working profiles for the most common games is "false". I am willing to bet that 9x out of 10 complaints against SLI ((and probably Crossfire)) scaling are people who don't know how to use the hardware and expect to scale in settings that were like CPU limited to begin with. Nvidia has SLI profile's for Barbie games for christ sakes.

If anyone actually feels like taking a moment to sift through the number of games Nvidia actually supports. Its completely transparent. So I am sure if people wanted to go on a witch hunt for non supported games they easily could find one. But there are tons of games in nvapps that aren't even released yet.

I talk about custom profiles mostly for the benefit of the doubt of those who dislike the default ones for any number of reasons ((perhaps its stuttering ect)) Maybe those who wanna play a PS2 Emu game in SLI. Things like that. For the mass BULK of games. It really is a non issue.

Attached Files:

#108 ChrisRay, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  9. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

10. Gunhead

Regular

11. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Did, Newegg jump the gun? There's not even a product page for a GTX 295 anywhere to be found on there.

If they'd sold out there'd at least be a product page with a button to notify when they are back in stock.

Regards,
    SB

12. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

OCUK are in stock - launch week overpricing of course cheapest is £460.

13. uh101

Newcomer

The BFG GeForce GTX 295 1792MB GDDR3 looks very nice indeed :)

14. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

hmm not convinced, but that's more a factor of price than performance (and noise and dual gpu issues). I'm for more interested in the 285 if its going to come in at a good price.

15. Moloch

Moloch God of Wicked Games
    Veteran

Well there's already reviews up :???:

16. PeterT

Regular

I'd love to see some SLI benchmarks for Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir with highest details (esp. shadows).
    (Note: I'm not saying that it's a game with bad SLI scaling - I honestly don't know. But it certainly isn't a benchmarking favourite, and if it scales even remotely well that would go a long way towards helping me overcome my dislike of multi-GPU solutions)

17. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

Me too. I don't like dual GPU stuff.

Maybe when the next GEN comes out the 285 will sell for like 150. That is my new sweet spot I think in terms of price since I am a cheap skate now.

18. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

I'm looking from a VFM point of view as well. Since I paid £115 for my 4850, I want the increase in performance to much the extra cost of any card I buy, and other than crossfiring a 4850, nothiggn does it. e.g. a 260 216 is about 30% faster than my 4850 but is at least 75% more. even OCUK's recent sale of 280's at £230-£240 didn't tempt me as a 280 is 50-60% faster not twice as fast. So I'm weaiting for soemthing that is at least 280 perfromance for around £180, then I'll bite. It'll probably be next gen before that happens, but I can wait.

19. Davros

Legend

Bah, bloody amateurs :D

20. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Not really related to SLI scaling that much, but WoW: WotLK, some forest location with a lot of trees and bushes etc (with flying mount so you're somewhere just a bit below the leafy area of the trees), all in-game settings maxed (8xMSAA/16xAF is the max WoW ingame controls should allow IIRC) and best quality Transparency AA.
    I've yet to see any machine really survive that amount of alpha textures with transparency/adaptive aa with good numbers :D