First DX9 compliant GPU?

Which of these companies will product the first (full) DX9 compliant GPU?

• Bitboys

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matrox

• nVidia

• PowerVR Technologies

• Other

• Creative/3DLabs

• Total voters

nAo

Nutella Nutellae
Veteran
I must confess this thread is a test for the new poll capability :)
My bet goes with nVidia, cause they are the stronger player on the market at moment and I'll see them keeping the crown in the next future.
ciao,
Marco

Okay then, lets play :LOL:

My vote goes goes to ATI with their R300. Why? This darn card has been hyped for quite some time as there was even suggestions that it could be out this spring (which it of course wont be). Then there is all the talk about how much ATI got their hands on development of DX 9.

I dont think, however, that ATI will beat nVidia with more than two months.

Matrox's next gen will be out before any of two big players, but my bet is that it wont be a 100 percent DX 9 featurewise.

BTW: Why did you include PowerVR. Have you no shame? ;)

LeStoffer

My reasoning and vote is similar to LeStoffer's. ;)

In addition to PowerVR, I believe that Creative Labs should be added to the list given the recent news. 8)

Um...

Microsoft is modelling DX9 according to R300's specs. Don't even bother speculating, it's pretty much a sure thing anyway.

Re: Um...

Tagrineth said:
Microsoft is modelling DX9 according to R300's specs. Don't even bother speculating, it's pretty much a sure thing anyway.

Who told you that ? Source ? Link ? Quotes ?

K-

A little birdie told me that Bitboys will be the first, but since NVIDIA is paying me to say that they'll be the first, I'll have to vote for NVIDIA. ;)

I'm curious to know if it's true that Microsoft is modelling DX9 on the R300 spec. Is ATI's dev rel that good to get Microsoft to work closely like that?

I recall Dave Orton himself saying something to the effect that ATI was the reference platform for DX9. But, that is all I remember.

Regardless, I believe ATI will be the first, but Nvidia should be close behind.

The whole point of this thread could be moot considering no one really knows when DX 9 will ship and if it will even be called DX 9.

I don't know much about Matrox and Bitboys, but I'd guess that with such a long development cycle they'll end up with roughly DX8-class boards and a mix of features that did and didn't make it to DX9. Much like the Radeon for DX8.

nVidia's GeForce4 just came out, and while it isn't revolutionary the boards are darned fast and I think they'll milk the brand with a refresh. When have they not refreshed at least once?

That leaves ATi, who's in-line for a new board. They'll release an overclocked r200 and the r300 side-by-side soon after DX9 is released. In fact, since DX9's been late, they'll probably release the RV250 first, milk those sales, and then release the R300 when full DX9 support is possible.

I really don't know.

There is so much information flying that it is very hard speculate this.

History lesson time

1. TNT Fall 1998 180 megatexel fillrate, 110mhz SDRAM (1.76GB/sec memory bandwidth) 32 bit color single pass multitexturing
2. TNT2 Spring (Late spring release to users) 250 megatexel fillrate 150mhz SDRAM (2.1GB/sec memory bandwidth) refresh
3. Geforce SDR/DDR (late fall release ) fixed function T+L, 2 matrix blending, Dot Product 3 bump mapping , Nvidia Shading Rasterizer (note I included it here because I believe it's as capable as the GTS in this regard just slower 4 pixel pipelines 120mhz core either 166mhz SDR (2.626GB/sec memory) or 150mhz DDR (4.8 GB/sec memory)
4. Geforce2 GTS Spring refresh 200mhz core 2 textures per pixel pipe 166mhz DDR (5.3GB/sec memory) same featureset as SDR/DDR)
5. Fall refreshGeforce2 Ultra quite simply , NV20 wasn't ready in time or I'm not sure Nvidia wouldn't have released Geforce3 lin fall 2000 if they could. 250mhz core 230mhz DDR (7.3GB memory bandwidth)
6. Geforce3 Spring 2001 product programmable pixel and vertex shaders, Quincunx 200mhz core/ 230mhz DDR (7.3GB memory bandwidth)
7. Geforce3 Ti500/200, quite simply this is a speed-binned Geforce3 not really a refresh. 240mhz core/250 mhz DDR no other changes except enabling 3d textures and shadow buffers which were always a part of the Geforce3 featureset
8. Geforce4 . By many accounts (Tom's Hardware, Anandtech) Geforce4 was ready to launch last year. Had 8500 been launched differently , Nvidia might have launched Ti4200/4400 ( i doubt they would have gotten 300mhz on Geforce4 in November 2001)

What does this tell us? Nothing ;). I would take note of Dave Wavy's interview with Nvidia at the European Geforce4 launch, I would also take note of Jen-Hsun Huang saying their next part won't be called GeforceXX.

And the final "Boombastic" for the rival, the RADEON 9x00 will be showcased, according to GZeasy, in May and launched in September. The core will have 8 rendering pipelines with 3 TMU per each one and will be fully DirectX 9 compatible (Pixel Shaders 2.0; Vertex Shaders 2.0). The chip itself will be clocked at 350 MHz and manufactured using 0.13 micron technology. Of course, the faster 128 MB at 400 MHz memory configuration will be involved in the new product.

We have heard more optimistic information about the R300 and its timeframes, however, at the moment we will not stress your attention on that. The next boards to come from ATI will be RADEON 8500XT and RADEON 8800 and that is for sure.

http://www.gzeasy.com/itnewsdetail.asp?nID=1768

Use a translator.

Item #2 :)
http://www.subzerotech.com/articles/interviews/ati/pgs/pg1.shtml

Q32: Is there a chance the next generation video cards following Radeon 8500 would support 8X standard and DirectX 9.0?

A32: RADEON 8500 is the first graphics technology to support the DirectX 8.1 specification. Through its advanced SMARTSHADER technology that takes advantage of Microsoft’s new DirectX 8.1 specification, including supporting Pixel Shaders Version 1.4, it enables more complex and realistic texture and lighting effects without sacrificing performance. DirectX 8.1 is an integral part of Microsoft’s new Windows XP operating system. RADEON 8500 will be the reference platform for Microsoft’s development of DirectX 9.0.

It takes a long time to develop a new graphics architecture. It is unlikely that ATI (which recently introduced the DX 8.1 architecture) will beat Nvidia (which hasn't had a new architecture since DX 8 ) to market.

That's why I voted for NVIDIA in this poll.

(Yeah, I know, by my logic Matrox, which hasn't had a new architecture in 3 years, should be next. But I think Matrox has exited the high-end 3D market, so they don't count.)

P.S. I guess we'll know soon enough, as both NVIDIA and ATI will no doubt show their latest cards at the GDC in late March. Even though their demos will be under NDA, they will show their stuff to enough different people that information will undoubtedly leak out.

It takes a long time to develop a new graphics architecture. It is unlikely that ATI (which recently introduced the DX 8.1 architecture) will beat Nvidia (which hasn't had a new architecture since DX 8 ) to market.

However, ArtX, or rather the East (or West, I forget which) team will have been working on it it for roughly 3 years by the time it gets to September odd.

While I don't necessarily think that ATI will be first to market (I actually voted NV) I think this will be closer this time around - I also think that they will have their new product available by the end of this year.

Cough, just to upset everybody... the question asks for a compliant or compatible DX9 product ? The difference as you know is huge assuming compliant means "fully" compliant. I thus assume your asking for a DX9 compatible product (meaning for example availability of the non-emulatable PS2.0, VS on the other hand as you know can be hacked through the general purpose CPU/drivers).

K-

Hey, all I have to say is...

Freakin' Mozilla .99 Rocks! It still has a little way to go in Linux, but Windows performance kicks...

With that out of the way, I'm going to have to go with conventional wisdom here.

Despite the fact that ATI and MS are somewhat joined @ the hip with R200/R300->DX9, I'm going to have to go with nVidia....

Like Dave said, Jen already stated that the next part will not be a GeForce brand...Of course, the "next part" might not necessarily be NV30....But I have a strong suspicion that what we see with the GeForce4 will, indeed, be the end of the road for the NV2x line.

With that said, consider the fact that the GF4 could have been released this past Fall (perhaps not @ the 300/660 specs, but same chip features), and the fact that nVidia has had a fully functioning DX8 part for over a year now...I've got to believe that they're where they need to be for NV30.

As for Matrox...I do believe we will see something from them this year, but I don't believe it will be a DX9 board...it may very well, but my gut instinct tells me otherwise.

3DLabs...they may have something up their sleeve, but I would be surprised if it's DX9...Bit-Boys...I don't even know what to say about them, other than....I pretty much will believe-it-when-I-see-it.

This is how I see things shaking up this year...

1. Matrox: a DX8.5 card, released this Summer.

2. ATI: holding the fort with 8500, and releasing R300 towards the EOY, with RV250 making up the lower-end (much the same as 7500 did with the 8500 launch).

3. nVidia: GF4 last NV2x chip to ship in Spring...releases NV30 in October timeframe. First chip to support DX9.

4. PVR: Other than the supposed Kyro2-Ultra release, these guys are impossible to predict. I would have to *think* that a DX8 card is in their future, but you have to believe the whole thing with IMG didn't help their roadmap any...

...and now for the drum-roll please....S3 jumps back into the thick of things with the...

...Yes, you guessed it...The new AND improved Savage 2002 chip, with a FULLY OPERATIONAL programmable T&L unit! No broken hardware here baby! No need to resort to registry hacks to "turn it on"....It just works!

4. PVR: Other than the supposed Kyro2-Ultra release, these guys are impossible to predict. I would have to *think* that a DX8 card is in their future, but you have to believe the whole thing with IMG didn't help their roadmap any...

...and now for the drum-roll please....S3 jumps back into the thick of things with the...

...Yes, you guessed it...The new AND improved Savage 2002 chip, with a FULLY OPERATIONAL programmable T&L unit!

LOL - You really need to keep abreast of things a little better! ;)

If ATi or NVIDIA refuses to take the next step and install a flux capacitor on their next product I REFUSE to give them one more penny!

Back