Firefox 9.0 Final

Downside of this kind of thing, besides inflating release numbers, is that vpn software often refuses to work with a browser it doesn't know. This has pushed Firefox back below Internet Explorer as my most reliable work-related browser.

Downside of this kind of thing, besides inflating release numbers, is that vpn software often refuses to work with a browser it doesn't know. This has pushed Firefox back below Internet Explorer as my most reliable work-related browser.

Hmm interesting but what vpn software are you using? Is it something like himachi or whateve it's called? We use at work either Juniper or Cisco and we have no issues that are browser related.

Hmm interesting but what vpn software are you using? Is it something like himachi or whateve it's called? We use at work either Juniper or Cisco and we have no issues that are browser related.

It's not about what we use. It's about what our customers use. ;) And they use all sorts of stuff.

I don't know if is an extension leak but the browser tops >1GB of ram in some hours forcing me to restart it :S

Electrolysis (the per process stuff) is on the backburner while a lot of other things are sorted out. A lot of components need to be reworked in order for the per-process thing to work smoothly. The unofficial announcement is here: http://lawrencemandel.com/2011/11/15/update-on-multi-process-firefox-electrolysis-development/

In the mean time, a lot of work is going into other projects. For what it's worth, Electrolysis probably won't give the biggest gains in responsiveness -- it'll certainly help a lot, but the real gains will be in Snappy, MemShrink, and IonMonkey. MemShrink in particular has been really successful, but some of the best changes won't reach the masses until FF11. There's also work being done on a new garbage collector, laying the foundation for them to work toward a generational gc (something like what chrome now uses).

It's good to see such quick changes coming down the pipeline for this browser because at one point in time if memory serves me right, FF seemed to slow down, get really heavy and just went the way of IE6 for a time...

With FF7, they introduced a new memory manager which went a way to solve that problem, suryad.

In the mean time, a lot of work is going into other projects. For what it's worth, Electrolysis probably won't give the biggest gains in responsiveness

Why did I invest in a 4-core CPU with SMT already?

Process per tab is the single most important performance feature. Firefox with multiple tabs/windows open is unbearable compared to IE 9 or Chrome. All it takes is a single tab with a flash heavy site and everything crawls to a halt.

We have had multicore processors on the desktop since early 2005, WTF is the hold up ?

Firefox 4.5 more like it.

QFT!

Cheers.

With FF7, they introduced a new memory manager which went a way to solve that problem, suryad.

Yep that they did. Honestly I don't see any difference in usage when playing with FF8 and FF9. Maybe I ought to take a closer look at memory usage over time with many tabs open or something.

I don't know if is an extension leak but the browser tops >1GB of ram in some hours forcing me to restart it :S

Only 1 GB? :) I think I have about 4 GB in use by IE at the moment. Of course, that's with well over 200 tabs open. :p

Yes excessive, but I do a lot of simultaneous research and cross-referencing on things.

I'm surprised that FF doesn't have tabs/tab groups per process yet. It's one of the greatest boons to browsers.

Regards,
SB

I saw 8.0.1 consuming 900MB RAM on a work machine after an unknown amount of time up and running. Pandora was on one tab of the three in use. I looks like Firefox doesn't always release memory, or something is leaking big time.

Of course Flash can also go totally nuts with RAM usage in its "plugin-container" process, probably when lots of Flash instances are active. Flash Block can be helpful.

Awwwwwwwww The new version disabled my favorite extension. :( It plugged into weather.com and gave me local updates.

Awwwwwwwww The new version disabled my favorite extension. :( It plugged into weather.com and gave me local updates.
It will work in 9, it is just a silly version check which doesn't mean anything anymore with these rapid releases.

Code:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[profilename]\extensions

and find the extension's folder, edit its install.rdf file with a text editor and replace the old maxversion tag with this:
<em:maxVersion>9.*</em:maxVersion>

Back