Firefox 8.0 Final

Installed it. Hopefully its more stable than version 7 because that would crash like a dozen of times every day...
3d acceleration problems or addon problems or plugin problems? 7 has been rock solid for me, but I don't use 3d accel.

3d acceleration problems or addon problems or plugin problems? 7 has been rock solid for me, but I don't use 3d accel.

I'm not sure, never really looked into it. But sometimes the browser just hangs and gives the this program is not responding error in the top bar and after 10 seconds or so just continues.

gfx.direct2d.disabled;true try setting this in about:config and see what happens?

They changed the versioning system, what used to be minor increments now get a full version number.

No stability issues with 7 for me, actually by far the most stable Firefox has been in a long time.

Edit: new option to only load tabs when clicked on is going to be great for me.
I normally have a bunch of tabs open which are 'read later' or which I may need to use but rarely.
I've been having problems with this using up all my RAM, now they won't take up as much until/unless I go to them.

I'm hoping a further expansion of this may be to automatically de-load tabs after some time of not being looked at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it will show up in Ubuntu 11.04 updates, I guess so as they have to keep updating FF for the security aspect.

5/6/7 versions have been good, I haven't had major slowdown or crashes for a while so my computer is feeling faster and less brittle. there seem to are subtle features added, such as selecting a plain text link and being offered an "open link in new tab" option. I also like my menu bar, thanks.

the only way I could make it buggy is by enabling flash video acceleration.

7 was a real upgrade for me, the memory usage optimisations in particular.

I'm more than happy to wave goodbye to version 7. It got to the point where I switched to Safari for most of my browsing (even on Windows!).

No real issues with 7 either, except that it wasn't compatible with some remote clients, which sucks as until 7 Firefox was my go-to default for vpn, for giving better feedback on what would prevent vpn from working etc. But since 7, I've gone back to IE8 by default (running XP still on this laptop). And Chrome, never reliable for vpn, stopped being reliable at all, with every other page basically failing to finish loading or load at all. So basically IE8 replaced Firefox for me, and Firefox replaced Chrome. :rolleyes:

Will try 8, as in that respect right now I have little to lose.

Back