Firefox 28.0

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by DSC, Mar 18, 2014.

1. DSC

DSC
    Banned

#1 DSC, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  2. Wynix

Veteran Regular

It's about time i update, i'm still using FF 25.0.
    Are there any significant changes i can expect?

3. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

So far it feels fast and not crashy, version 27 seemed not that stable. But I haven't loaded many pages yet.

Of course the security updates are built-in, if you would rather update infrequently (because you don't care so much about the features and changes in the back-end, because you don't want suprises or regressions) you should be using Firefox 24 ESR instead (and apply all security updates as they come in)

4. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

26 added click to play as default for Java applets.

5. Wynix

Veteran Regular

I've updated and it seems to run a bit quicker and less loading, or is that just my imagination?

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

They actually pulled the Modern UI ("Metro") version that was supposed to go into FF 28 at the last minute.

Probably just as well, because it pretty much sucked. The UI itself wasn't all bad, but it was slow as hell and it lacked any extension support (which would be one of the main reasons for wanting it over Metro-IE in the first place).

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2014/03/14/metro/

7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Well that sucks. So there's still no alternative to IE for Metro. I actually don't use any desktop browsers at all and solely stay on Metro IE because it's just so much better for casual browsing on my Helix. On anything else I never use IE unless I have to for testing etc.

8. I.S.T.

Veteran

Apparently no one used it, so it just didn't get any testing as well.

9. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

A bit of a catch 22 that: It wasn't really useful enough for people to test it during normal use, but in order for it to get better they needed more people to test it.

As opposed to the normal Aurora or experimental releases, this was fundamentally broken in many ways and didn't really offer anything over the "Metro-IE" competition. Add to that the MS policy that for a browser to work in the Modern UI it has to be the default browser, and I guess most people who could have been interested tried it just very briefly before reverting to their preferred setup. I know that's what I did.

10. benroveno

Banned

Already tried the latest Firefox version, but i don't know. On my laptop with Vista and 1GB of RAM installed, that version runs so sluggish especially when many tabs are opened. I think i'll stick with the 25 version, consumes less memory and works smoother.

11. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I suggest you use Firefox 24 ESR so you have security updates (there really are exploits for software out there, with SSL stuff still in the news) and then the Web is memory hungry no matter what. Vista is too, it's really worth upgrading to 1.5GB or 2GB.