Firefox 28.0

It's about time i update, i'm still using FF 25.0.
Are there any significant changes i can expect?

So far it feels fast and not crashy, version 27 seemed not that stable. But I haven't loaded many pages yet.

Of course the security updates are built-in, if you would rather update infrequently (because you don't care so much about the features and changes in the back-end, because you don't want suprises or regressions) you should be using Firefox 24 ESR instead (and apply all security updates as they come in)

I've updated and it seems to run a bit quicker and less loading, or is that just my imagination?

They actually pulled the Modern UI ("Metro") version that was supposed to go into FF 28 at the last minute.

Probably just as well, because it pretty much sucked. The UI itself wasn't all bad, but it was slow as hell and it lacked any extension support (which would be one of the main reasons for wanting it over Metro-IE in the first place).

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2014/03/14/metro/

Well that sucks. So there's still no alternative to IE for Metro. I actually don't use any desktop browsers at all and solely stay on Metro IE because it's just so much better for casual browsing on my Helix. On anything else I never use IE unless I have to for testing etc.

They actually pulled the Modern UI ("Metro") version that was supposed to go into FF 28 at the last minute.

Probably just as well, because it pretty much sucked. The UI itself wasn't all bad, but it was slow as hell and it lacked any extension support (which would be one of the main reasons for wanting it over Metro-IE in the first place).

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2014/03/14/metro/

Apparently no one used it, so it just didn't get any testing as well.

A bit of a catch 22 that: It wasn't really useful enough for people to test it during normal use, but in order for it to get better they needed more people to test it.

As opposed to the normal Aurora or experimental releases, this was fundamentally broken in many ways and didn't really offer anything over the "Metro-IE" competition. Add to that the MS policy that for a browser to work in the Modern UI it has to be the default browser, and I guess most people who could have been interested tried it just very briefly before reverting to their preferred setup. I know that's what I did.

Already tried the latest Firefox version, but i don't know. On my laptop with Vista and 1GB of RAM installed, that version runs so sluggish especially when many tabs are opened. I think i'll stick with the 25 version, consumes less memory and works smoother.

I suggest you use Firefox 24 ESR so you have security updates (there really are exploits for software out there, with SSL stuff still in the news) and then the Web is memory hungry no matter what. Vista is too, it's really worth upgrading to 1.5GB or 2GB.

Back