Firefox 0.9

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Saem, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Saem

Veteran

So, I've finally made the jump, from plain ol' Mozilla. It's pretty nice and loads up faster, which makes me happy, it's searching feature isn't as nice as the googlebar plugin, just little touches in that department.

It'd be nice if the options allowed for more tweak-ability from get go rather than hide it from you, but the idea is to simplify the interface. Speaking of interface it's small and everything is where it should be, except the theme is kinda sucky.

It's been said elsewhere, but it's worth repeating, it's not complete and they should have just left it alone. The icons convey enough meaning but the reload/refresh icon isn't that great as the icon takes too long to figure out on a cursory glance and thus it's not doing its job all that well.

Also, since the search text field is stuck in the corner it ends up being fairly small, even with a reasonable size window. Personally, one text field for addresses and searches would be better, with both a keyboard shortcut for search and site search and a pull down button/menu. Either that or they should have the address bar and search field roughly the same size, maybe the search field should be bigger. The URLs most folks type are likely very short or are simply bookmarked. Most of the time I have many words in my google searches.

I also went nuts and themed the crap out of my desktop, no more start bar, I use stardocks objectdock. Fairly cool but could use a bit of work here and there. Especially in the bugs department.

2. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

I honestly thought everybody uses F5 already.

3. Saem

Veteran

Actually, most likely not. Ctrl-R and moust gestures are more likely. The point is I'm looking at it from a usability prespective.

4. Althornin

Althornin Senior Lurker
    Veteran

right click --> customize
    drag the search thingie wherever you want......
    or just isntall the googlebar extension.

5. Vadi

Regular

change width of search bar

use search engines in url bar (stopped working for me for a while though)

The url bar acts as google search by default (can't search urls though). To change this search type "about:config" in the url bar and then type "keyword" in the filter box.

6. Saem

Veteran

I like it all in one line, thanks for the way to change things about, though.

BTW, firefox started crashing during startup, I blew it away.

7. Vadi

Regular

Things that I forgot:

You can search in sites by typing right away. And the shortcuts are "ctrl+l" for the url bar and "ctrl+k" for the search bar.

Here are extensions which are compatible with Firefox 0.9 (look for the Firefox icon with the green spot) and here are themes for Firefox 0.9.

8. Saem

Veteran

Hrm... ctrl-i. I just used alt-d and then tabbed to go to the search. I use the type and search link feature all the time, and hit backslash when I wanna search text.

9. Vadi

Regular

Yes there is an option to turn off "search links only". I have it on.

10. linthat22

Regular

I downloaded Firefox last night, since Explorer has security flaws (I can't believe it :lol: ). I have to say I am really impressed with Firefox. Very nice and user friendly. Thank you for posting this thread, otherwise I would've never heard of it.

Thank you all again!!!

11. Saem

Veteran

Your welcome.

*dum* *dum* *dum* "Another one bites the dust!"

12. Saem

Veteran

13. Quitch

Veteran

Open a new tab

about:config

all the options you will ever need.

BTW, since this says 0.9 I should let you know 0.9a came out shortly afterwards to correct a security flaw.

If Mozillazine ever comes back to us, you should be able to download optimised version for your processor, a wonderful thing for us Windows users :) (actually, look around and you'll find some, but Mozillazine was the home of most).

14. Althornin

Althornin Senior Lurker
    Veteran

0.9.1 is out...

15. Saem

Veteran

It still doesn't have what I want. I wanna be able to hit ctrl+enter to open urls in new tabs and so on. The option doesn't seem to be in there.

16. AAlcHemY

Newcomer

Can someone recommend me a mouse gesture plugin?

17. Vadi

Regular

@ Saem:
    Alt+enter works.
    Alt+ctrl adds ".com" to an adress field entry.

@ AAlcHemY:
    Mouse Gestures has diagonal gestures and gestures for zooming images. Very nice.
    All-in-One Gestures is based on Mouse Gestures. It has features additional to gestures but has not the two features that I mentioned.