Finished Fallout 3

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by linthat22, May 22, 2009.

1. linthat22

Regular

I'm a bit disappointed in the ending. I have to say overall, I was disappointed with the game.

Don't know why that game felt like a chore to finish. Like Bioshock, I'm having a hell of a time to get myself to want to complete it.

Don't know what the problem is. While I was playing Fallout 3, I was also playing Mass Effect. And I beat Mass Effect first, because it seemed more engaging.

I just don't know.

#1 linthat22, May 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  2. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

You have Bioshock 2?

Assuming you meant Bioshock 1, I felt the same way. In fact I haven't finished either Bioshock or Fallout 3. For some reason I entirely lost interest in both of them less than half way through, though I was already at level 20 in Fallout. Mass Effect I couldn't put down 'till the credits were rolling, and then I started again.

3. Gerry

Regular

Can't say I'm entirely sure why this needed a new thread. Couldn't you have just put it into the existing Fallout 3 thread?

4. linthat22

Regular

Nope, because this is about me finishing up the game and my opinion.

With that being said, how about posting something relevant brother. It's the weekend, you have time. :)

5. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

yeah, whatever floats you're boat i say, unless there's a victim. STFU, or i'll kill you Gerry (kidding).

6. linthat22

Regular

Let's embellish a bit.

I know Fallout 3 was made by the folks that made Oblivion. I didn't go in thinking this was going to be more of the same that was just set in a different atmosphere. Granted I never played the original Fallouts; I thought the demo's sucked when it first came out, so I never pursued it; but the trailer for 3 looked really cool. From the very beginning it felt like a slog fest. Meaning, I felt like I was slogging through the game right from the beginning.

As mentioned above, Mass Effect held my interest more, but also I replayed Half Life (for the misses) and I got more joy out of playing those than Fallout 3.

I know it's probably different strokes for different folks, but since I feel the same about Bioshock; what could it be?

I just wanted some of y'alls input to figure out why those two games (Fallout 3 and Bioshock) seem bland to me.

7. homerdog

Fallout 3 gave me much enjoyment... until I hit level 20 and immediately lost interest. Also the endless grey stretching as far as the eye can see didn't excite me much. I like variation in my giant open world games. But the final straw was the shooting mechanics. I could have remained interested even after level 20 if the shooting was up to par with say Half-Life (yeah I know, tall order), but after the RPG progression had run its course the lackluster AI wore me down quick.

Bioshock I never got into in the first place and I don't know why.

8. cloudscapes

Regular

I was the same for Bioshock, but the opposite for FO3.

I had a real hard time to get much further in Bioshock. It's a great game, superb ambience, but after the first few levels it felt a bit samey. I still haven't finished it, and that came out ages ago.

On the other hand, I was so into Fallout 3 when it came out that I couldn't stop playing untill I had finished the (admitedly somewhat dissapointing) ending. Took just a few days, but I made the big mistake of not doign any of the side quests. I was on a "what's gonna happen next?" spree with the main storyline!

I've just started a new game last week, and I'll take my time. I've bearly even touched the main quest and instead will do what I didn't do the first time I played; explore, sidequest, etc..

9. homerdog

That's pretty much the opposite of my experience. The main storyline wasn't interesting me much so I made the 'mistake' of doing all the sidequests I could find until I was an abominable beast of death and destruction :twisted:. Not even the leveled enemies could stand in my path. But after a while that's not as fun as it sounds :sad:

10. obonicus

Veteran

The main quest is just terrible. I mean, I imagine it looked like a cool idea to have a
    giant robot
    fight beside you, but when you're essentially reduced to a spectator, it's not much fun. I was originally playing the game as a stealth monster, but for this one I pulled out the heavy weapons from the closet, didn't get to use my fatman against anyone. :(

11. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Anyone ever play Bethesda's Terminator Future Shock? I've been playing it for the first time basically (other than the demo back in the day) and am amazed how much it reminds me of Fallout 3. It runs a reworked Daggerfall engine with indoor and outdoor enviros.

This game has ground and air vehicles too. Fallout 3 doesn't do that. It uses a purely FPS-based combat system which I prefer. Amazing game for its time, aside from the fact that Bethesda couldn't debug worth a damn back then and it crashes a lot. I'm running it in DosBox and it works quite well there.

12. Davros

Legend

ive got the sequel terminator skynet

13. swaaye

Legend

Well I knew I could count on you, Davros. :)

14. anaqer

Veteran

OW!
    OW!
    OW!
    OW!
    :wink:

15. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Bethesda made a Terminator game.. was it them? :shocked:

16. Davros

Legend

they made 5:
    The Terminator
    The Terminator: Rampage
    The Terminator: 2029
    Terminator: Future Shock
    Terminator Skynet

ps: quake is considered to be the first fully 3d game 1996
    wasnt future shock 3d ? 1995

edit: found this : "Future Shock is a true three-dimensional world with mapped textures and polygonal enemies, a little less than a year before Quake was released"

#16 Davros, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
  17. swaaye

Legend

Future Shock is so much better than Quake (as a game) that it's crazy. Graphically it's not as pretty and you're stuck with 320x200 unless you install Skynet which will let you play FS at 640x480. It's very buggy though, just like all Bethesda games pre-Oblivion.

18. Davros

Legend

does playing future shock with the skynet enhancements make it less buggy ?

19. swaaye

Legend

No it still crashes occasionally. Just like Oblivion. :)