finer control over androids volume

Discussion in 'Mobile Software' started by zed, Dec 5, 2017.

1. zed

zed
    Veteran

theres only like ~15 steps for the volume control
    Is there any way to override that for finer granular control eg 50 steps, so when I reach into my pocket and press the volume up button, volume increases 1/50 or 1/30 or 1/100 so long as its more than the current 1/15

note. Im not looking for a solution that I have to do a slider on the screen, it has to be controlled by the phones volume buttons

2. Otto Dafe

Regular

I have no solution but I share your irritation. I listen to podcasts when I walk and they're always too loud or too quiet. I actually think the granularity might be okay if they would just make the scale logarithmic instead of linear.

BRiT likes this.
  3. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

I think this depends on the phone and not Android perse. My OnePlus3 has annoying steps at well but it seems they increased the number of steps on the latest Oreo update.

I don't think there is any way to change the volume steps unless you root.

4. zed

zed
    Veteran

yep very similar to my usage, listening to podcasts and eg a car passes etc (esp at night) so I increase the volume only to get blasted in my ears

5. zed

zed
    Veteran

Found this app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phascinate.precisevolume&hl=en
    works as it saiz, from the 15 volume levels you now have 100 volume levels, which is overkill but still more is better than less.
    Theres one major problem though AFAIKS, it must the currently last active app, ie its not running 100% in the background and just replacing the android volume levels so you have to go

1. activate podcast app, play podcasts (or music/films etc)
    2. activate precise volume app
    3. change volume at 1% increments

the problem is though if you want to change your podcast order etc, and then change the volume level is back to step #1

6. StakanPortveina

Newcomer

As I got from the description, only pro version overrides buttons control?

7. zed

zed
    Veteran

no it works with the volume buttons, you just have to have that app as the last open app, yes its a PITA but it works

8. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

My android have volume steps option in the settings. So it's maybe more like... Manufacturers mods?

Btw for that app mentioned above. Some android phone allows "locking" app. Maybe it helps?

9. Otto Dafe

Regular