Finally took the plunge!

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by Fuz, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Fuz

Fuz
    Regular

This may surprise some folks here, but I am now a first time ATI owner, Finally decided on a 9700NP.
    Even though I have used ATI products before because my business requires me too, but this is the first time I have payed my hard earned cash for an ATI product.

First things I noticed was the increase in speed while playing with AA and AF on. Absolutely love it. 1024x768 with 4xAA and 8xAF in UT2003 isnt' too shabby at all.

I was a bit concerned with all the hype about ATI drivers, but I have had no more problems than I did on a Ti4200.

The debevec RNL demo is the most realistic real time graphics I have ever seen. Pipe dream was awesome too.

Just a few concerns though. It seems F1 2002 doesn't like any AA at all. I can play at 1600x1200 with max in game details smoothly, but at 1024x768 with 2xAA it is too jerky, and 4xAA is unplayable. Any solutions any one?

Another one is Splinter Cell demo. Runs like crap even with out AA at 10x7. Haven't tried it on a 4200 though so I don't know if this the norm?

Rallisport stutters, but it did this on the 4200 as well, so I am thinking this is a game issue.

BF1942 also stutter too, even though fraps indicates high fps. Its unplayable the way it is. Did not try this on a 4200 so not sure if this is the norm either? I am guessing this is a mouse issue, cause even in the game menu the mouse refresh rate seems real low. Also, if I am driving a vehicle and just use the keyboard for steering, there is no stuttering!

Other than those issue, I am a happy camper. The best $500 AU I have spent on my pc since my Diamond Moster3D. 4xAA and 8xAF on almost all my games is fantastic.

Btw, thanks Mufu :D I am using your bios, now my Non-Pro is a Pro. Free upgrade! I haven't tried pushing it past Pro speeds yet, but I will as soon as I get better cooling.

2. BenSkywalker

Regular

What drivers are you using and what is the rest of your sysetm specs? Some of the problems you are having you shouldn't be with a R9700, at least if you aren't running it with outdated hardware anyway :)

3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Depending on the rest of your system specs, you may find 6x AA in UT2K3 to be just as playable as 4x AA. I'm running UT2K3 in 1024x768, highest in game settings, max mip-map + texture, 6x AA, 8X quality AF. Its very fluid for me -- 9700 Pro no overclock, with AMD XP 2.2Ghz actual speed.

Also make sure you're running the latest Catalyst drivers - 3.1. They've added 16bit FSAA and also improved AA performance.

4. Fuz

Fuz
    Regular

I am on an Athlon XP 2000, 512mb DDR, SB Audigy. All drivers up to date and using Cat 3.1 with dx9.

It seems you are right, 6xAA is almost as fluid as 4xAA. Very playable, atleast in UT2003. Wish I could say the same for Unreal 2! Man what a let down U2 is. Imo, it doesn't look as good as UT2003, and plays worse.

I need to find a solution for BF 1942.

5. jjayb

Regular

Fuz, make sure you don't have anything running in the background like icq or messenger. That can cause stuttering. I usually have mirc running but I have to turn it off before I game or I get crazy stuttering.

6. Tahir2

Veteran

Have you tried the tested and patented solution (TM) of lowering the troubleshooting notch down one in disply/setting/advanced/troubleshooting ?

helps in some games but makes Sim City 4 unplayable (it needs a hardware acc cursor?).

7. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Oh, no probs! I am glad so many people took heed of my suggestion and it's been nice to get a lot positive feedback. I'd been meaning to make such a post ever since the 9700NP was first launched but didn't have a card to muck around with until recently. Not quite sure what is going on with the Infineon-BGA'd cards though - I'll look into it when I get some time. What RAM do you have?

Try reducing the levels of fog, dust and particles in F1 2002 to their minimum setting - I remember the 2001 engine taking an fps nosedive due to such things when using FSAA (it was on my 8500 though - SSAA, hmm...). Not sure if the 2002 engine has the same characteristic.

MuFu.

P.S. The H/A-down-a-notch fix totally stopped my stuttering in Rallisport Challenge. 1280x1024x32 w/4xFSAA & 8xAF is now pretty fluid and looks amazing. 8)

8. Fuz

Fuz
    Regular

I usually don't run anything in the background while playing games. Even tried disabling everything WinXP would let me in task manager, still no dif.

Heh, I was just about get on here and say that this did not work for me last time I tried it, but the strangest thing just happened. I just tried it again to see what would happen, and what do you know! Its working perfectly. Rallisport is now totally playable.

Mufu, I think I have hynix rated at 3.6, though I am not too sure. How do I tell? I just looked at the ram and it says HY5DU2...... and below that its F-36. I just assumed HY meant Hynix and the 36 is for 3.6ns. What ever it is, it is working at 325/310 no probs.

9. Yannis

Newcomer

I bought the ATI too and I'm impressed!!

After beeing disappointed by the FX card I decied to try another 9700P this time from Crucial. This time I did all the things right. I formatted my disk, installed XP, SP1, programs, games from the beginning and voila!!
    The 9700P is a great card!! There some little problems with some games and AA or AF, but its impressive to see NFSHP2 with 1280x1024, 2XAA and 8XAF running great. Hitman2 plays fantastic at 1280x1024 4XAA, 8xAF and so does Unreal2.
    So far I have encountered problems in Arx Fatalis which doesn't show the menus with AA or AF and Blade of Darkness which seems to hate the Radeon :?

What I can say is that after the first Voodoo, I had been more impressed since ATI came to my system.

Sorry for my bad English...

Yannis

10. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Yup - Hynix 3.6ns. Good stuff. :cool:

MuFu.

11. ReneB

Newcomer

I can only agree with that.
    "The MuFU has me" hehe
    Currently running a Black Sapphire 9700np(3.6ns Hynix ram) @ 348/331Mhz without problems :)

12. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    9700 Pro is a great product. Tried one out in September '02 (had 30 days to return it with no restocking fee) and liked it so much I kept it and permanently replaced my former Ti4600 (which I cheerfully put in the wife's machine.) Haven't had as much fun since my V5. I guess I'm fortunate, but haven't had any of the more commonly referenced problems with the card, and that's in both a KT333 and an nf2 chipset motherboard, and running some 40-odd games out of my library since September. The main reason I took the trouble to buy from a 30-day-satisfaction-guaranteed-or-your-money-back source was my previous experience with ATI drivers. Delighted to say that from the first driver set it was obvious problems of that nature were no longer a concern for ATI products. I found the drivers just as stable as the very mature 30.82 Dets I had been using, and the performance and image quality of the display is leagues ahead of GF4.