Finally got a Gamecube

OpenGL guy

Veteran
Well, now that the Gamecube is $99, I decided to pick one up. I bought a few games and accessories as well: WarioWorld, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Luigi's Mansion and Metroid Prime. Most of these games were $20 or $30, the exception being WarioWorld, I think, which was $50. The extra controller and memory card cost $20 each.

My wife and I used to be big fans of MK2 on the SNES, so we've had fun with MKDA. Also, SMBM is a silly combat game that can really get you laughing. We still don't have much clue about what we're doing :)

So far my favorite is Metroid Prime. I'm quite impressed by the size of the world you are exploring. I've not completed the game yet (I just got to the mines and encountered the enhanced Space Pirates) but it seems quite immense. I never thought a console FPS game would impress me this much. The graphics are pretty impressive as well.

Just my opinion of course...

OpenGL guy said:
Well, now that the Gamecube is $99, I decided to pick one up.

Rofl, does ATi pay you guys THAT bad? :LOL:

Anyways, congrats on a most excellent choice!

*G*

I notice you have no Super Monkeys in there. You should seek to correct this at your earliest convenience. ;)

Me and my friend are now also going to get Gamecube's since the price is 99 now.

Too good to pass up.

Oh a question,

Is Gamecube Platinum REALLY just a limited time thing? Or is it going to be around for basically forever, I don't want to be stuck with a black or purple GC come around X-mas time..

What, isn't black nice?!?

I got a black, and its dead sexy. I don't want a chrome one coz those chromed controllers scratch easily so I would just have to get a black one anyway... Besides, we can't get chromed GB players here so it would be a chrome cube with a black GBP...

*G*

Hi Guys,

Anyone tried running an NTSC game on a PAL Cube with the FreeLoader and having ProScan enabled? If I can get ProScan on my Cube I'll stop thinking of getting a US version.

Jov

Another one here !
Having nothing to look forward to for my XBOX until probably HALO2, (nothing really caught my attention, except maybe Deus Ex 2) I took the plunge and bought me a used GameCube with Metroid Prime, Zelda and Resident Evil.
The first thing that caught me by surprise is how incredibly small it is! That and how even incredibly smaller the disks are!
I haven’t played much of Zelda or RE, but both look fantastic!
All my free time is devoured by Metroid Prime!
This game is SUBLIME! Sure it doesn’t have the flashy bump mapping or detail texturing of Halo but as far as level design goes, it’s on a level of it’s own.
I’ve been running about the Chozo Ruins for about 4 hours now and every room look distinctly unique! The evident passion and care that went in designing everything in this game is something I did not expect on this scale, no need for arrows to point you in the right direction here J
All in all colored me very impressed!

MP's design is incredible, it's so detailed its downright SCARY. I've gone over some rooms literally dozens of times and then stopped only to find new little bits I hadn't seen before. Just wait til you come to the Phendrana drifts first time, I bet you'll get impressed ALL OVER AGAIN, hehehe! :)

Overall, Chozo probably looks the best in the game methinks. They spent a LOT of time on those rooms...! Phendrana's almost as detailed, Magmoor is pretty nice too. Phazon mines are nice as well yet not quite as detailed, and the sunken cruiser is probably the boringest place visually. Not having the gravity suit when first entering makes it one of the most frustrating too. :)

*G*

Welcome to the NGC owner club :)

I recommend PIKMIN, Super Mario Sunshine (good gameplay nice shiny colorfull graphics), and Starfox Adventures (for the quality graphics), in that order.

Product Number Three (P.N.03) is quite OK too. Some aspects of the game show it as a rush-jobbie, but it is enjoyable despite that, if for nothing else than the shiny graphics and foxy lady you play.

Ikaruga is nice but stupid hard. I can't get anywhere in it, lol! :)

*G*

i was playing a bit of PN03 and i noticed a really weird effect which i can't really explain... basically the walls have this colour-changing-flickering effect which looks REALLY bad.... is anyone understanding what i am referring to?.. and hopefully can explain it better?

The game probably runs in the 6:6:6:6-bit framebuffer mode, which leads to rounding errors when doing multitexturing, or else it's a straight 16-bit-per-pixel buffer. There's more rounding errors in this game than any other GC title I've seen so far, but I don't really find it distracting, it's really only visible in the dark areas and there aren't many of those in this game. It's usually very bright and shiny.

*G*

Jov said:
Anyone tried running an NTSC game on a PAL Cube with the FreeLoader and having ProScan enabled? If I can get ProScan on my Cube I'll stop thinking of getting a US version.

Check out this thread: "What is the best cable to hook up GCN to TV?"

I was not able to verify ProScan on a PAL Cube yet, but I read a few times on the net that it works (PAL GC + component cable + FreeLoader + NTSC/proscan game). BUT even if it works, the NTSC GC will be the better choice, because FreeLoader works not always flawlessly with new titles (jap F-Zero), you always have to boot with FreeLoader (=inconvenient). It's easy to get a NTSC GC. The power supply unit is a small problem, just use a voltage transformer or give your local Nintendo support a call, they'll send you a PSU for €20, that will work with your local voltage and your NTSC GC. Games are easy imports, try www.dvdboxoffice.com ... no shipping costs to Europe and they are good in customs/tax-dodging.

well, if anyone can come up with an "easy" way to get pro-scan out of Xbox and GC, then i'll be really broke by this christmas methinks... :D
oh shit my TV only has VGA in though... i guess that makes it even harder...

Back