Final US Dreamcast Numbers

Raw NPD data (does not include Wal-mart):

Hardware: 4,278,167

Total Software: 26,421,848

Attach Rate: 6.18

First Party: 12,358,012

Third Party: 14,063,836

Remember that these numbers are probably about 33% larger after Wal-mart is figured in.

It's pretty obvious that if the Dreamcast hadn't tanked in Japan that it would still be around today, considering the Cube is still 500k shy of where the Dreamcast was at this point in its lifespan.

It's pretty obvious that if the Dreamcast hadn't tanked in Japan that it would still be around today.

I don't think it tanked in Japan, it just didn't do too well, that's all.

Well, keep in mind when user bases are normalized, DC is probably miles ahead of PSOne in terms of piracy... so I think that would have done it in anyways.

Johnny Awesome said:
Raw NPD data (does not include Wal-mart):

considering the Cube is still 500k shy of where the Dreamcast was at this point in its lifespan.

How long was the Dreamcast run?

In the US it launched September 1999. Was its official end when Sega dropped the price to $50 to move all remaining inventory (December 2001). Thats a little over 2 years (27 months) in the US market. The Japanese launch was November 1998. Are you comparing Dreamcast numbers to the Cube?

Are you comparing final DC to current Cube? The Cube launched in the US in November of 2001 (16 months to date). Its Japanese launch was September 2001 and European launch May 2002. I'm not trying to stand up for the Cube's lackluster performance in the US, but DC had more time to hit its numbers. DC (27 months) vs Cube (16 months) in US alone with a bigger time gap in Japan. Not to mention competition. Its currently PS2 vs Xbox vs GC. When DC launched it was near the end of PSOne and N64. DC had a full year to itself in the US market until PS2. DC had a nice time to shine, I wish Sega.... :cry:

DC had no time to shine. All sony did was say how much more powerfull the ps2 would be and this and that. Its sorta like the gefore fx vs the 9700pro. The pro should have sold much more than it did but all nvidia fans were being told the fx was the be all end all .

It's called brand loyalty. Plus the foregone conclusion of immense developer support, and PS2 could hardly lose. Hell, DC failed to muster support from EA, and that basically amounted to the kiss of death.

Cool a system as DC was, it never stood a chance.

Kolgar

Johnny Awesome said:
It's pretty obvious that if the Dreamcast hadn't tanked in Japan that it would still be around today, considering the Cube is still 500k shy of where the Dreamcast was at this point in its lifespan.

if dreamcast sold better better in japan this would have meant that sega would have lost even more money on the dreamcast and so would have been in a worse shape financially...

the problem of the dreamcast couldn't be resumed to the weakness of sales, you can't ignore the financial status of sega, the fact it was sold at a loss..

so it makes no sense at all comparing sales of dreamcast and gamecube, because gamecube isn't sold at a loss by a company that does have financial problems. it is sold at no loss, by a company that is making big money.

Johnny Awesome said:
I think you guys are missing the point, but whatever. :rolleyes:

It is more like you missing the point. Success of a console manufacturer (which is a necessity to stay in the race) is not exclusively related to how many consoles you sell.

Looking at Sega business state, they should not even have released the DC.

I think you guys are missing the point, but whatever.:rolleyes:

What's the point, that gamecube's in trouble as it's selling similar volumes to the dreamcast or that xbox's finished since it's tanked in Japan?

dee said:
I think you guys are missing the point, but whatever.:rolleyes:

What's the point, that gamecube's in trouble as it's selling similar volumes to the dreamcast or that xbox's finished since it's tanked in Japan?

nah... the point is that... **if sony didnt hype PS2 so much, DC would be Console N. 1 EVA!!** :rolleyes:

...as if the only reason for PS2's success AND DC's death is ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY because of simple pre-release HYPE.... come on if that was the case, the XBOX would be the king of the universe..... this whole thing really gets on my nerves... everytime JVC talks about SONY -or anyone who's got something to do with a Sony product- its like this evil corporation trying to take over our minds or something.... jeeesh he must have forgotten about something called microsoft or *old-days-nintendo-policies*.... u know what i'm talking about... no one's an angel, everyone's trying to make more money than the rest, some with better results than other.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

london-boy said:
...as if the only reason for PS2's success AND DC's death is ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY because of simple pre-release HYPE....

Couldn't agree more. Frankly, imo Sega losing the trust of the gaming public hurt more than PS2 hype.

Back