Final Fantasy

I'd like to play some of the PSX FF games (VII - IX), but I can't see myself suffering through horrendous load times. Is there any way to play these games without driving myself mad?

Johnny Awesome said:
I'd like to play some of the PSX FF games (VII - IX), but I can't see myself suffering through horrendous load times. Is there any way to play these games without driving myself mad?

Load times? I could understand someone could bother himself about the random encounters, but the load times there are really short.

Just play and enjoy the game?

I cant remember FF`s having long load times( saving/loading Gaming did take some time tough).

You could play them on a PS2 and enable faster CD-Speed and Texture-Filtering.
Or on a PC & PSX Emulator - which actually allows you to speed up long cutscenes (boring if you already saw them).

I was gonna suggest faster CD. Incidentally anyone try faster CD with ingame commentaries? Not such a good idea :D

Johnny Awesome said:
Load times, in PSones FF, are quite short. Nothing problematic.
Anyway, you could always play the game son the PS2 and activate the faster CD read speed.

The complete lack of Analog support in FFVII would be more what I'd consider a nuisance by today standards than the load times could ever be.

Load times are quick(screen transition of 1 or 2 seconds), you shouldn´t have much trouble with them. Controlling VIII and IX is much nicer thanks to Dual Shock support.

The only thing with PS2 Fast disc speed on those games is that any cycling sprite based animations in the backrounds tend to speed up quite a bit. This is particularly noticeable on IX, as that has the most of these animations.

But seriously, the load times are nothing. After sitting through PS2 loading for all this time, PS1 FF games seem like GBA load times to me :).

Make an ISO of the game disk, then create a rom drive and move the ISO into there. Should be very fast, even leaving the ISO on the HD will be relatively quick.

EPSXE, to my knowledge, has an input plugin that will allow you to use analog controllers on non-analog games by rapidly switching the state of the digital cross off and on so as to mimic analog.

There are PC versions of FFVII or FFVIII, no need to emulate them really.

But yeah, I don't remember any load times anyway

Back