Final Fantasy XV [XO, PS4, PC]

It's good that it's a nice film, i liked it more than Advent Children to be honest. And i'm currently watching Brotherhood, i'd say it is just as important, some important character building in this one :yep2:
YUp, really enjoyed the film and Brotherhood too. brotherhood makes u actually care about who u r travelling with but if havent watched the film, you are basically completely clueless about whats happening or why is it important !

BTW, this whole thing about not travelling at night gets irritating after a while. I love exploring and this just limits me to go back to a camp/town every few mins :-/

YUp, really enjoyed the film and Brotherhood too. brotherhood makes u actually care about who u r travelling with but if havent watched the film, you are basically completely clueless about whats happening or why is it important !

BTW, this whole thing about not travelling at night gets irritating after a while. I love exploring and this just limits me to go back to a camp/town every few mins :-/
Level up and you can do stuff at night

The game is looking surprisingly good on base Ps4:

31841285665_fe38e4edbc_o.png

31803668086_b8928e0fa8_o.png

31694066752_10db52e634_o.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/418/31725049411_3bd5dd39e6_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/317/31803677026_71691e5ac9_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/540/31031760983_f6516b9413_o.png
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5613/31694053182_51045caa7e_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/749/31031737043_fe6b279d76_o.png

Lighting in particular is a standout. Although it has problems with lod and frame pacing (noticeable on Ps4, could do without it) i think Luminous was a success for this game, there's nothing that looks quite like it :yep2: Also, whenever they decide to port it on PC, judging by the licenses it will be an Nvidia optimized port, so i hope they manage to add in voxel ao/gi in there.

The game is looking surprisingly good on base Ps4:

31841285665_fe38e4edbc_o.png

31803668086_b8928e0fa8_o.png

31694066752_10db52e634_o.png

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/418/31725049411_3bd5dd39e6_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/317/31803677026_71691e5ac9_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/540/31031760983_f6516b9413_o.png
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5613/31694053182_51045caa7e_o.png
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/749/31031737043_fe6b279d76_o.png

Lighting in particular is a standout. Although it has problems with lod and frame pacing (noticeable on Ps4, could do without it) i think Luminous was a success for this game, there's nothing that looks quite like it :yep2: Also, whenever they decide to port it on PC, judging by the licenses it will be an Nvidia optimized port, so i hope they manage to add in voxel ao/gi in there.

I agree, I believe its the most realistic lighting I have even seen in a video game. Even more impressive on a piece of hardware that has under 2TF of GPU computing power. I see lots of people impressed with Horizon Zero Dawn, but apart from the amount of stuff on screen, I'm really not impressed with it. I wonder if the screen is also so full of vegetation to hide the engine inability to render a full blown world with very long drawing distance like Luminous does.

the problem wth visual quality with FFXV is ithink due to the immaturity of Luminous' development tools rather than the tech itself.

i mean, they dont even ROTATE the vegetation and decals. They gave no variation to the objects physics/animation.

doesnt this things usually done automatically by the development tools?

Note: Duscae region is the best example where each assets looks to have variety. Any other areas... ugh... Maybe they made the whole duscae by hand?

I agree, I believe its the most realistic lighting I have even seen in a video game. Even more impressive on a piece of hardware that has under 2TF of GPU computing power. I see lots of people impressed with Horizon Zero Dawn, but apart from the amount of stuff on screen, I'm really not impressed with it. I wonder if the screen is also so full of vegetation to hide the engine inability to render a full blown world with very long drawing distance like Luminous does.
Plenty of very long draw distance scenes in Horizon ZD, not that having very dense foliage would make the distance clear to see anyway since your vision is easily obstructed. The Horizon engine is on a different level of impressive really, you don't see PS3 quality assets anywhere, no sparse environment, abundance of high res textures, volumetric clouds. Maybe the Luminous engine has potential to be great on more powerful hardware but FFXV only looks good at the right time of the day where you have to pan the camera at the precise angle to capture the most details. On average it looks decisively mediocre, Horizon looks excellent anywhere and any time you look at it.

Plenty of very long draw distance scenes in Horizon ZD, not that having very dense foliage would make the distance clear to see anyway since your vision is easily obstructed. The Horizon engine is on a different level of impressive really, you don't see PS3 quality assets anywhere, no sparse environment, abundance of high res textures, volumetric clouds. Maybe the Luminous engine has potential to be great on more powerful hardware but FFXV only looks good at the right time of the day where you have to pan the camera at the precise angle to capture the most details. On average it looks decisively mediocre, Horizon looks excellent anywhere and any time you look at it.

I'm talking about the engine, not the assets. Give Horizon Zero PS3 quality assets and low resolution textures and you would probably say it looks bad as well. Plus, apart from Leide region, I would not say the environment is sparse. Both Duscae and Cleigne are not sparse. The vulcano area is a bit sparse, but there is only rock usually around volcanos anyway. The Luminous engine, specifically in what lighting is considered, is very impressive. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree since I honestly do not see anything special about Horizon and consider FFXV way better than mediocre. Maybe when Death Stranding is developed I will appreciate their engine more since it goes for a more realistic setting.

maybe its also due to the art direction?

FFXV - Fantasy based on reality
Horizon - artistic painting-like reality

True. The art style of Horizon Zero does not appeal to me at all.

EDIT - It might be good to keep in mind that Horizon Zero Dawn has not launched yet. We will see if there will be any graphics downgrade when it comes out.

Last edited:

And better iq on Horizon too with a native 1080p all time. The engine is probably better than the Luminous...

I'm talking about the engine, not the assets. Give Horizon Zero PS3 quality assets and low resolution textures and you would probably say it looks bad as well. Plus, apart from Leide region, I would not say the environment is sparse. Both Duscae and Cleigne are not sparse. The vulcano area is a bit sparse, but there is only rock usually around volcanos anyway. The Luminous engine, specifically in what lighting is considered, is very impressive. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree since I honestly do not see anything special about Horizon and consider FFXV way better than mediocre. Maybe when Death Stranding is developed I will appreciate their engine more since it goes for a more realistic setting.

True. The art style of Horizon Zero does not appeal to me at all.

EDIT - It might be good to keep in mind that Horizon Zero Dawn has not launched yet. We will see if there will be any graphics downgrade when it comes out.
For all we know given enough hardware power any engine could render millions upon millions of polys, high res assets and what not. If your engine can't accommodate enough high quality assets in the game that you're tailored to make on the targeted hardware then it's as good as useless. It's an entirely different can of worm if we're comparing engine to engine than game to game in graphics.
I have yet to see what makes FFXV so much more impressive than Horizon aside from some boss fights which we obviously haven't seen any from Horizon yet, yeah the lighting looks great but so does Horizon's but the latter simply does much more on top of this.

@ultragpu finishes the game at 28 hours, i enter Lestellum at 22 !
I am damn sure my experience of playing each game is vastly different from his/her :D !

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

I wish for the best of square Enix team to learn from ffxv and can work for totally awesome ffxvi.

Like how I wish for bungie to be able to make destiny 2 awesome from learning with destiny 1.

Both games are awesome but deeply flawed and incomplete

Now now people I didn't say the game doesn't stream any high quality assets at all:), it does have quite a bit of them indeed but it's the abundant mixture of lesser quality ones that kinda drags the overall visuals down a notch. I'm sure if SQ made a FF game natively on current gen console from the get go it wound't be this inconsistent and would use the engine closer to its max potential. I still think the game looks fabulous non the less.

Now now people I didn't say the game doesn't stream any high quality assets at all:), it does have quite a bit of them indeed but it's the abundant mixture of lesser quality ones that kinda drags the overall visuals down a notch. I'm sure if SQ made a FF game natively on current gen console from the get go it wound't be this inconsistent and would use the engine closer to its max potential. I still think the game looks fabulous non the less.

Is this the same ultragpu who said a few posts ago that the game looks "decisively mediocre"? o_O
Or was that your evil twin?

I'm simply stating out the mediocre part and there are quite a few of them but never said the game didn't manage to impress me in many other places. I guess I'm not making it very clear for folks to read, my bad.

The game use a very good engine on the renderind side just miss a little density and some assets are very bad (probably not an engine problem)... The performance could maybe be a bit better (native res all time and a bit better framerate...)

Imo the most impressive openworld engine on the rendering and animaton side before the release of Horizon Zero Dawn and Read Dead Redemption 2 in the category of Open world centered around nature...

I don't like to compare open world game centered around a town like Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, Infamous or GTA against other open world...

Last edited:
Back