Fight Night Champion PS360

Scott_Arm

Legend
Details are rolling out now. They're claiming graphics to be pretty ultra-amazing. Bullshots look nice.

So far we have:
- a story mode that starts in prison and includes cutscenes, even between rounds.
- new punching system allowing for a much wider variety of punches. Flicks on the right stick to throw punches. The angle on the stick selects the type of punch? No more rolling the stick.
- haymakers are thrown while holding a modifier button, so any punch type can be a haymaker/heavy punch
- first M-rated EA Sports title
- One punch knockouts
- Stamina per limb and anaerobic vs aerobic
- One button blocking .... Don't like this, not even high/low. Hopefully upper body movement still works the same
- dynamic cameras
- realistic blood and facial deformation/damage
- online gyms ... band up with your friends and challenge other gyms for awesomeness

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/5809424/penitentiary-beyond

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/15/fight-night-champion-screens-are-a-knockout/

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/14/a-first-look-at-fight-night-champions-m-rated-brutality/

I've got to say, despite the change to blocking, I'm PUMPED for this game.

Spring 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinect for trainer stuff would have been perfect and made it an instabuy. I might rent this stuff. The last one didn't set well with me and like this one, they were saying all the right things beforehand.

I really liked Round 4. What they screwed up on was the difficultly scaling. Instead of making the opponent more challenging, they just made every punch they threw stun you. So once I mastered normal, hard was more annoying than a challenge.

Kinect for trainer stuff would have been perfect and made it an instabuy.

I agree, same for Move. The Fight: Lights Out (which I have) already shows it, and if the game had anything near the budget of a Fight Night title, imagine what they could do. But I guess they would need to create a completely new engine, so it won't happen soon probably.

He doesn't spend much time on it here, but while the speed exercise is a little fake (just a little ;) ), the target practice training is my favorite by far. Absolutely fantastic.

The speed bag is silly without actually hitting the bag. You can certainly shadowbox the heavy bag and mitts simulation though. lol at the guy when the fight actually starts.

The Fight looks a lot better than the last time I saw it. The 1:1 mapping seems to work pretty well. Good thing they're patching in transparency, because that view is awful. I have no idea how they thought that was a good camera angle. When he's hitting the mitts, you can't even see the trainers right hand.

Still haven't seen a vid where anyone uses head movement successfully, but it seems like it can be done because of the way some of his punches missed his opponents head and went over their shoulder.

If EA came out with a good boxing game for PS3, and there was nothing for Kinect, I'd be really tempted to buy Move. I still like the idea of Kinect, because it can track your shoulders and feet, which are also important in boxing.

I agree, same for Move. The Fight: Lights Out (which I have) already shows it, and if the game had anything near the budget of a Fight Night title, imagine what they could do. But I guess they would need to create a completely new engine, so it won't happen soon probably.

He doesn't spend much time on it here, but while the speed exercise is a little fake (just a little ;) ), the target practice training is my favorite by far. Absolutely fantastic.

The user video and iWaggle's meticulous review are a LOT more convincing than trailers in general. It may not be obvious in the video but the game input and output are both 60fps. So fast movements are captured and applied.

I think when the transparency patch is in, the fighting will look a lot more focused and convincing.

If Lights Out or Fight Night have tamer skins, I'd have bought the game. Now, still on the fence.

Fight Night thread, this is a Fight Night Thread ;)
Though, to keep off-topic a little, was kinda hoping next Fight Night would support Move, as that was kinda keeping me from buying the Fight: Lights Out.
But the video above pushed me again that little bit closer...

I'd be surprised if Fight Night doesn't support Move (at launch or patched in). EA's Grand Slam Tennis is going Move also. Hmm.. Tiger Wood 11 gone Move.

Yeah, there could be Move or Kinect support coming still. It's very early in announcements for the game. There are some first person clips in the trailer, and maybe they have a first person view for motion control. The only comment I'd have about that, is they'd have a REALLY hard time replicating the mechanics of the game with either Move or Kinect. The motion mapped punching would be very different from the animations, and the new blocking system doesn't sound like it would fit in well with motion control. They'd almost need a separate game mode with different mechanics.

It is only a matter of time. :yes:

For action-oriented sports titles, motion gaming is usually more intuitive, engaging and fun. Joystick will stay because of the user base of course.

Am I only one who have reservations about a the storyline and that it seems to force to hear even more that crappy music and bad language?

I want a boxing game, not a gangsta version of bold and the beautiful with Forresters owning a boxing gym.
I just hope there's a possiblility to play with traditional way where your actions create the story, not some silly animations in between.

Unfortunately I think the legacy mode is the prison storyline, but if you don't like it, you can always just stick to the online gyms or play the historical matches and quick matches.

Ha ha, then you can check out Lights Out ! :p

But I don't know if you can build your own legacy in the game. I guess it's a good angle for sports titles.

EDIT: So there is a gym owner mode in Fight Night, Like B-Spec in GT5 ? Or do you play as a boxer throughout the entire game ?

Rated M for an obnoxious amount of profanity.

Do.Not.Want.

Yeah, I don't really understand why they think swearing is cool. All it does is limit the customer base. I can see having the realistic cuts and facial damage, which might get it an M rating anyway, but the language is just pointless and annoying. I don't really want to play out some prison story either, but it might be interesting in that there is actually a story and your legacy is a little more than just the fights with training sessions in between, and a little text blurb when you win a title or whatever.

The gym feature is online, and it's basically a clan system, like they have with clubs in NHL and FIFA. You and your friends can make a "gym" which would have an owner that can add new people, or kick people off. Then you challenge fighters from other "gyms" etc. But I doubt the gym is much more than a series of menus and game lobbies.

The Fight: Lights Out is really a game I have absolutely no interest in, though the punching looks pretty good now that they have the motion mapping. What I really want is a boxing sim. I'm more into the sweet science, and representing the technical parts of the sport, then just playing a game which is a brutal slug-fest.

Yeah, I don't really understand why they think swearing is cool. All it does is limit the customer base. I can see having the realistic cuts and facial damage, which might get it an M rating anyway, but the language is just pointless and annoying. I don't really want to play out some prison story either, but it might be interesting in that there is actually a story and your legacy is a little more than just the fights with training sessions in between, and a little text blurb when you win a title or whatever.

The gym feature is online, and it's basically a clan system, like they have with clubs in NHL and FIFA. You and your friends can make a "gym" which would have an owner that can add new people, or kick people off. Then you challenge fighters from other "gyms" etc. But I doubt the gym is much more than a series of menus and game lobbies.

Ah, it's a clan.

The Fight: Lights Out is really a game I have absolutely no interest in, though the punching looks pretty good now that they have the motion mapping. What I really want is a boxing sim. I'm more into the sweet science, and representing the technical parts of the sport, then just playing a game which is a brutal slug-fest.

I was posting in response to jlippo's complain about storyline distraction. ^_^

Would be interesting to see if motion gaming can do a real boxing sim. It'd be real tiring though.

I agree on all points.

I don't really think a Boxing sim is possible on either Kinect or Move unless it's on rails, which means it's not a boxing sim, lol. Instead, what I would really like is a great XBLA/PSN game that is simly a training gym. Heavy bag, speed bag, do some mitt drills, etc. Heck, if they needed to add more meat to it, I'd LOVE a good Punch-Out esque game since move is responsive enough to get that precise timing down.

As for Story mode, I'd really like to see them offer a variety of origin stories, rather than just one. On top of that, I'd really prefer they offer me the possibility to just play through a standard career vs a story mode, so long as they can fix the difficulty of the fighters w/out compromising the integrity of the game (i.e. increasing the percentage of a stun punch was really cheap).

That's true. A lot of boxing is footwork and neither would let you use the full ring without coming up with some non-intuitive method of navigating the ring in full 360 degrees.

A training game would be great. EA Active 2 will at least have the heavy bag and targets.

I agree with the difficulty scaling. Round 4 was awesome, except for the way the AI scaled, which was basically increasing the frequency of stun punches to the point where every punch the AI landed was a stun. Your only viable strategy was to cover up and counter. If you threw a punch first, you'd get countered and rocked, making the jab a completely useless punch, when it should be one of the most important.

They should do a Mass Effect style origin selection and decision making system. That would actually be really cool. I'm not into the whole thug-life thing, so a lot of the bravado in boxing is irritating, and I certainly don't want to emulate it.

A real boxing sim or martial art sim will need more than 60fps. They couldn't track Jet Li properly with Move. The old movie camera couldn't track Bruce Lee (It could only see blurs and shadows :cool:). A training session with some sim-like game should be ok (like GT5 vs real racing ?)

The lack of footwork is not game killing (It's a game ! like GT5 can't repro the G-force). If you apply your footwork properly/wrongly, you'd know it anyway when you see the replay. Tracking your footwork in-game can be distracting.

Back