Fifa eWorld Cup switches from PSN to Xbox because of service issues

iroboto

Daft Funk
Legend
Supporter
This is a first. I never anticipated such a thing could happen, but then again, I guess if you've booked real estate for casting and have no games to cast, I suppose the only solution is to change; or... allow for local play and not force everyone online...

Puts an interesting twist on the requirements of marketing/programming deals going forward. Reminds me of all the learning that SC2 had to go through. they had exact he same problem, in the middle of a large scale comp the servers would drop and they would have to save the position and restart the match. They finally resolved this by putting in local play. You simply cannot have an esport rely on major services and be open to denial attacks or what not.

and a bit OT: but the games played on the streams were pretty incredible and absolutely fun to watch. If real teams could play the way these guys made these teams dance, it would be a different game entirely.

Last edited:
I'm not terribly surprised. I'm not sure what is going on there, but there's a lot of Twitch streamers that have been having issues with PSN in Monster Hunter World. The streams I was watching had players from the UK and US.

FFXIV was also having issues with PSN on the 28th.

Regards,
SB

I believe 343i recently implemented local off line multiplayer into halo 5, think you run it on windows 10.
So its obviously not a requirement that it needs to connect to Xbox live servers.

I think all esports games should have this functionality.
maybe this is something MS should be making available to others.
Is something similar available on PlayStation?

Psn was offline intermittently.

Actually, psn is quite often goes offline partially or fully with no warning.

At least compared to steam and Xbox live that's looks sooooooooo reliable.

Anyway, I think local play is not a thing right now. So many games forced online play. Removed the LAN play.

I believe 343i recently implemented local off line multiplayer into halo 5, think you run it on windows 10.
So its obviously not a requirement that it needs to connect to Xbox live servers.

I think all esports games should have this functionality.
maybe this is something MS should be making available to others.
Is something similar available on PlayStation?

Yup, halo 5 can use pc for local play.

Currently PS4 have nothing.

Although as far as I know, ps4 games only need PSN for login. After you are in the game, as long as you didn't get disconnected, everything will be fine.

Destiny 1 and 2, final fantasy xiv. I experienced them working fine while psn is down.

Yeah, it's the same way for FFXIV. As long as you don't log out of the game while PSN is having trouble you can still play. FFXIV uses their own servers and only uses PSN for login. It's a problem though if a raid is scheduled and the members of your raid team who play on PS4 cannot log in when PSN is having issues.

Regards,
SB

Anyway, I think local play is not a thing right now. So many games forced online play. Removed the LAN play.
I can only guess they are using the online mechanics to simplify local multiplayer. We tried to player Lara Croft temple of Osiris multiplayer on PS4 and needed to each log in to PSN, for local play. In the end we fudged it with the one player not having a PSN account acting as the primary account on the PS4 and the others of us logging in with their PSN account. But it's very dumb and annoying, and indeed problematic as this story shows. If PSN was down, would we have been unable to play local multiplayer?!

I'd love to have a comparison of the running costs of running PSN vs Live.

MS has much greater economies of scale in their favor due to their Azure platform where PSN/SEN simply doesn't. MS will have more management overhead due to size and scale but that would be augmented by the level of automation that's built into the infrastructure.

Ofcourse we'll never get that info but would be really cool to find out.

I can only guess they are using the online mechanics to simplify local multiplayer. We tried to player Lara Croft temple of Osiris multiplayer on PS4 and needed to each log in to PSN, for local play. In the end we fudged it with the one player not having a PSN account acting as the primary account on the PS4 and the others of us logging in with their PSN account. But it's very dumb and annoying, and indeed problematic as this story shows. If PSN was down, would we have been unable to play local multiplayer?!
Are you sure?

Multiplayer games I have tried have the option of either log in as with the PSN account of the other player or as a guest.

There was no such option in Osiris???

Back