Fidelity rumor: Intel to make a hostile bid for ATi?

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Karma Police, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Karma Police

Regular

#1 Karma Police, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  2. Killer-Kris

Regular

I think that would be interesting to say the least. Intel certainly wouldn't be interested in ATI for it's platform building capability.

Does anyone have information on power consumption of the ATI IGP chipset verus the expected power consumption of the G965 chipset?

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

That's probably what the 100 something million payout to AMD is for if the current merger doesn't go through - a poison pill to discourage exactly this kind of hostile takeover.

If Intel made an offer, it would have to be approved by ATIs board and shareholders, and I can't see that happening after a year of planning with AMD how to move their business forwards without being subsumed into the Intel hegemony.

4. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

I doubt it would even be allowed. As Intel already has a presence or full out lead in many areas that ATi is in. Graphics: Intel lead, chipsets; Intel lead, etc.

5. Karma Police

Regular

Wouldn't the higher share offer counteract the $165,000,000 fee? But honestly I'm with you.

6. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Wrong. Itr would exclusively have to be approved by the shareholders. If the board refuses to approve it, it's simply called an "hostile" bid, and not a friendly one. As for the $165M, that would indirectly be paid by Intel, of course. It wouldn't be part of the $23/share proposal, so Intel would be paying even more than that.
    There are many ways such a scenario could turn out. For example, it could even prevent both bids from having sufficient shareholder approval...

Uttar

7. SiliconAbyss

Newcomer

That's a crazy rumor. If Intel attempts a hostile takeover, the sh*t will really hit the fan!

8. Karma Police

Regular

Who knew ATi was all the rage nowadays? :D