FFX-2, my expectations have dropped considerably...

...After reading this:
---------------------------
Now, we've been given a look at FFX's Rikku in brand new skimpy attire. As for the third character, she's clearly visible in the new artwork, although her back is away from us. Looks like we'll have to wait until a future update for solid details. It does seem from the illustrations that FFX-2 will center on three female leads.
----------------------------

Charlie´s Angels? Why, oh why!? A trio of girls with guns, an incredibly tired concept, is in FFX-2:sigh:

Why couldn´t Square add a male lead as well?

--------------------------
To understand the roles of Yuna and Rikku in this new adventure, you have to be introduced to "Spheres" and "Sphere Hunters." Spheres are items located throughout Supira which contain visual and aural recordings of history. Sphere Hunters collect these spheres in order to pursue the true nature of Supira, which is just about all there is left to do in the world now that the threat of Sin is gone.

Bah, this doesn´t sound exciting at all. :( What about political tensions? War could have been a possibility...so much wasted potential...

---------------------------
Other characters revealed include the four crew members of Yuna's Celsius air ship. Making a return from FFX are Aniki, Dachi (Aniki's childhood friend) and Master (the blue-skinned, yellow-eyed dude). A newbie joining the crew Shinra (a genius boy in the Albed family who knows much about the Spheres).

Just a bunch of Al-Bhed dudes? Why did Rikku´s brother, of all people, has to be involved in all of this? Why not include other "races"? I was expecting a lot more from its cast of characters.

All of the above wasn´t as bad as this, though:
-------------------------
Whereas previous entries in the series gave you access to the ship in the latter half of the game, it seems that with FFX-2 you'll have access to this ship from the start of the game and will be able to fly throughout the world. Two new systems related to the game's story have also been revealed: the Mission Select and Active Link systems. Together, these two seem completely do away with the linearity in the story telling from FFX. The Mission Select system sees you fly throughout the various areas of Supira at your discression and play out episodes (missions) of the story. In addition to being able to choose where to go next, the timing of your travels determine which episodes appear. The Active Link system refers to the way in which the story will change depending on which episodes you've played.
------------------------

A lame mission-based structure!? Why!? This seems to seriously get in the way of storytelling, which was exceptionately executed in FFX. Why not keep the ship available from the start to enable non-linearity, while offering a compelling, linear story? This just sucks, IMO. :devilish: :(

I´m somewhat dissapointed after hearing all of these details. Please, please, Square, do not ruin this!

Here´s the link:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/378/378367p1.html

...and it will still sell a million copies to a million drooling fanboys.

coconut%20milk.jpg

SQuaREs0ft 4 LiFE 100%!!!1

I'll buy this game. I buy everything Square makes, at least as far as RPGs are concerned. But I'm also at the point where I'm not really looking forward to this one.

Unlimited SaGa and Final Fantasy XI; now that's a different story :p

I´m still getting it, but these details are displeasing, to say the least. A trio of girls with guns?! It´s such a tired, old formula, I don´t know why Square decided to go with it. And all of the characters are Al-Bhed! Why!?

Ozymandis said:
I'll buy this game. I buy everything Square makes, at least as far as RPGs are concerned. But I'm also at the point where I'm not really looking forward to this one.

Unlimited SaGa and Final Fantasy XI; now that's a different story :p

My only reservation was that, imo, Yuna was a very, very weak character, and Rikku was just useless and irritating (and had a seriously fucked up battle stance). Tidus and Auron were overwhelmingly strong characters and definitely drove the story in FF X. Without them I think the plot will be pretty bland.

If they had prequeled it to a story around Auron, Jecht, and Braska... well, THAT would be something! :eek:

zurich said:
My only reservation was that, imo, Yuna was a very, very weak character, and Rikku was just useless and irritating (and had a seriously fucked up battle stance). Tidus and Auron were overwhelmingly strong characters and definitely drove the story in FF X. Without them I think the plot will be pretty bland.

Yeah, I agree somewhat. Even though Yuna was certainly a main character, Tidus and Auron were the real "carriers" of the story. People have complained about Tidus "whining" too much, although that made him more believable as a character IMO.

Now that I think about it, is FFX-2 still an RPG? This is sounding more and more like an action-RPG, with all of this sphere collecting and mission-structure. I hope I´m wrong. :(

Back