FFDShow configuration help

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I've been playing around with it and it looks great however subtitles look all blocky and barely readable.

What options should I enable/disable to get the best possible picture with readable subs?

DivX didn't have this problem with subs.

well, I see that ffdshow itself supports subtitles, so if you're using that, try using your player's subtitles support, or the other way around?

What codec is used in the videofile ? Is the sub embedded in the clip or in a separate file ?
Which version of ffdshow are you using ?

I'm an avid fan of the fansub community and I haven't experienced precisely what you're describing but somewhat similar things and upgrading to newer versions or installing additional plugins that handle subs have fixed my problems. Although I still haven't managed to get some H.264 files with subs to work. :oops:

DivX YV12 video files.

I don't know much about all these video options.
I open up the configuration and I'm confused as hell.

EDIT:

Fixed the problem.
I downloaded from the suggested site.
I uninstalled my previous installation, installed new FFDSHOW SSE2 on my A64.
I tested it and it worked perfectly.
I didn't touch any settings this time around.

What settings should I use to get the best possible image?

Check the postprocessing effect and in it's settings check process whole image (problably not needed though).
Use the Presets radiobutton and pull the slider all the way to the right. If you ever get problems with dropped frames (unlikely on your system) you just check the automatic quality control checkbox.
At the bottom of the postprocessing settings page select H.264 deblocking when decoding h.264 video.

And that should be it. If the subtitles don't load you can try using ffdshows subtitles function by just checking the checkbox in the ffdshow properties. If it still doesn't work you'll probably need to install a plugin to handle subs, just check with whoever gave you the clip and they're bound to know what's needed.

In many cases yes. But it depends on the individual clip you're trying to watch.

I find that the Sharpen and Blur/Noise Reduction (and to smaller extent Noise) are most useful, but what makes one clip look great makes the next a mess so you'll need to set these for each clip. Also Picture Properties is great to correct bad colouring and poor lighting (Offset/Levels works too).

And if you're running a HTPC system you should check out the Keys&remove which enables you to toggle the settings with your remote while watching.

There is no universal set of settings which will work well with anything. Some clips are best left unprocessed.

breez said:
There is no universal set of settings which will work well with anything. Some clips are best left unprocessed.
Quite true since deblocking blurs everything a bit.
I run with just an unsharp mask and post processing with full deblocking on, although for some clips I turn it off since it takes away too much detail.

Subtitles in FFDShow sucks. Use instead the player support. Media Player Classic has great support and text looks great, no blockiness and such.

Back