Fermi's first Victim

neliz

GIGABYTE Man
Veteran
http://www.techpowerup.com/118962/I_will_be_leaving_TPU_.html

W1zzard leaves TPU, apparently the GTX480 review's backlash was the last drop.

After all the drama in the comments section of our Fermi review, I realized that continuing with hardware reviews and this tech "scene" might not be what I want to do with my time in the future.

So I looked for options out of this mess, and found one, TPU will be operated by a different company in the near future, I will be leaving the site. But fear not, most of the staff will remain here, the site and forums will stay the same in the near future (months). However, I have no idea what's going to change in the long run but I'm sure it will be for the best.

Further info and a more detailed schedule will follow when I have a better idea what will happen with my software projects and other internals of the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
On April 1st...?

According to the headline:

Wednesday, March 31 2010

Posted somewhere around 18:09 (CET+1)

This was posted about an hour later:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1832385#post1832385

it was not just the fermi review that caused this .. i have noticed the recent trend: drama, more drama and then drama llamas.. that kinda spoils the fun in it.
i've been doing this tech website stuff for so long now .. it kinda gets boring .. hey i remember when i was excited to see 50 registered users on the forums .. then it was 50 registrations a day .. then 50 users online at a time .. 500 .. 1000 .. now we're often at 6000 online and there is no more "kick" in it for me.
same with hardware ... hell was i excited when i went to my first cebit .. now i really hate going to tradeshows .. same old POS every time .. meeting people is great though .. maybe i'm just getting too old .. i dont know.

ati didn't send me an offer, but maybe i'll end up doing some coding for them, i hear there are huge improvements to be made in drivers .. especially going from 9.12 to 10.3
That one made me LAWL!

Looks like he was getting criticized for using the 9.12 drivers instead of 10.3 on the 5870.

Looks like he was getting criticized for using the 9.12 drivers instead of 10.3 on the 5870.

And rightfully so, GF100's launch schedules and benchmarking periods weren't exactly secret. One could've taken the week(s) since the invite to benchmark the competition with semi-current drivers.

And rightfully so, GF100's launch schedules and benchmarking periods weren't exactly secret. One could've taken the week(s) since the invite to benchmark the competition with semi-current drivers.

I agree with that. If you're going to present numbers and graphs to quantify performance between two products, then it's not much use if one product's performance is quantified to what it was a quarter ago, instead of what's relevant today.

Having said that, I can understand where he's coming from. I've been in the situation where a hobby becomes a job, or a website becomes a chore, and turning it into work just sucks the fun/joy out of what originally attracted you to it in the first place. Then you move on.

I agree with that. If you're going to present numbers and graphs to quantify performance between two products, then it's not much use if one product's performance is quantified to what it was a quarter ago, instead of what's relevant today.

Having said that, I can understand where he's coming from. I've been in the situation where a hobby becomes a job, or a website becomes a chore, and turning it into work just sucks the fun/joy out of what originally attracted you to it in the first place. Then you move on.

they should just give him free hardware and let him make his software. The reviews inevitably end up in the claws of fanboys that seek to justify their beliefs with pretty graphs.

I only hope he will still be developing great tools for community!

I'm sure we will see him posting on forums because that's something you can't just stop doing.
I wish him all the best on a new road!

I wish him all the best in his future endeavors. The criticisms from the Fermi review were of his own making.

I used his ATiTool or what it was called literally for years, and it was a great program. I loved it. :) I'm sorry to hear he's no longer finding it fun to do what he's doing. All the best for the future to him.

Hear you on that one...

Back